Clare Toomer > Teacher Stern LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Teacher Stern LLP Offices
37-41 BEDFORD ROW
- Go to...
- Clare’s expertise spans a broad range of commercial litigation with a focus on commodity and corporate as well as soft IP disputes with issues that have traversed several jurisdictions.
She has led on a number of high value multi-faceted disputes involving commodities, fraud, corruption/conspiracy, breach of contract, fraudulent mis-representation, lending, mis-selling, intellectual property rights, professional negligence. partnership and company/director/shareholder/JV issues for clients based both in the UK and overseas ranging from SMEs to ultra-high net worth individuals, international banks and other global institutions.As well as matters brought in all divisions of the High Court and Commercial Court, Clare has experience of cases which have gone to the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. She also has experience of international arbitration particularly of those conducted in the International Chamber of Commerce and International Dispute Resolution Centre and extensively of mediation where she has led many successful settlement negotiations.
Clare is also regularly instructed on global enforcement matters involving obtaining worldwide freeing orders and overseeing recovery proceedings in a variety of foreign jurisdictions including the BVI, Turks and Caicos and Cayman Islands.
Clare’s IP practice focuses predominantly on the protection of the rights of Teacher Stern’s restaurant, retail and tech clients in relation to which she has successfully staved off many potentially infringing competitors. She has also represented Fashion Designer and creator of Princess Diana’s wedding dress, David Emmanuel.
“Clare is a first-rate litigator. She has excellent legal skills and a demonstrated ability to manage every type of case from large commercial claims to smaller disputes requiring a more personal touch. Clare combines a friendly and approachable manner with a tough and determined approach to getting the best result for her clients.” Max Mallin QC, Wilberforce Chambers. Call: 1993.
“Clare Toomer is a star in the making at Teacher Stern LLP; combining a sharp intellect with great judgement, she knows which points to take and which not. A pleasure to work with and in any litigation you would want her on your side.” Peter Featherman of Ed’s Easy Diner.
Recently successfully defended a business and associated professionals in a complex commercial court action which spanned 2.5 years and included trial set down for 20 days concerning allegations of fraud and conspiracy regarding the acquisition of a national security and surveillance company.
- Represented a number of clients in satellite litigation concerning fraud, bribery, breaches of fiduciary duty and minority oppression.
Acted in an ultra-high value and multi jurisdiction conspiracy dispute between Russian oligarchs.
• Represented a distributor in a $50M corruption case in the Commercial Court involving the distribution of oil additives to Iraq.
• Advised borrowers and guarantors in relation to facilities of $500M entered into with a collapsed Icelandic Bank.
• Represented a Canadian metals billionaire and philanthropist in an international arbitration concerning a million US$ charter agreement.
• Acted in a dispute relating to a multimillion pound property fraud including obtaining world-wide freezing injunctions and enforcement action.
• Advised in connection with a $60M breach of contract dispute involving a celebrity chef.
• Advised on a breach of contract/mis-representation claim concerning a multi-million dollar film contract.
• Represented a European water supply company and various UK restaurant chains in connection with the protection of their IP rights
Partner, Teacher Stern
Solicitor, Teacher Stern
Trainee Solicitor, Teacher Stern
Teacher Stern LLP has extensive expertise in handling high-stakes commercial disputes, including cross-border and multi-jurisdictional cases. The commercial disputes team is co-led by Sarah Emerson, whose practice encompasses commercial claims, insurance, cyber risk, and crisis management; and Clare Toomer, an expert in corporate and shareholder disputes, as well as contentious IP matters. In 2022, commercial litigator and former Isadore Goldman director, Michelle Mollaghan, was recruited as partner, while former partner Rajesh Pabla left to join Hill Dickinson LLP.