Kim Hawkins > Ashfords LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Ashfords LLP Offices
1 NEW FETTER LANE
- Go to...
Corporate/Energy & Waste
Kim is a Partner in the Corporate Team.
Kim’s specialises in the acquisition, development and complex multi-sourced financing of clean power and renewables projects. He has acted for international and domestic private investors and PE funds in the renewable energy sector. Kim also has significant experience in the food and waste sectors with particular in-depth knowledge of CEA technologies, water treatment centres, organic recovery solution plants, large-scale B2B food logistic centres.
Prior to joining Ashfords, Kim was General Counsel for a specialist manager dedicated to the energy infrastructure sector.
- Acted for Octopus Investments on its £750m rollout of solar, flexgen and other renewable assets.
- Advised European division of Shunfeng on divestment of multiple UK based large-scale solar assets.
- Advised Hanwha Q Cells on the divestment of its UK solar portfolio to NextEnergy.
- Acted for Sterling Wilson on establishing their joint venture with Balance Power, in relation to developing flexgen assets.
- Acting for one of the country’s largest handlers of fresh produce on various diversification projects including in low carbon polytunnels, vertical farming and innovative ‘last mile’ food infrastructure.
- Advising a leading supplier of fresh food brands to major retailers and consumers on various B2B and B2C acquisitions.
- Advised Foresight Group on the deployment of £100m of EIS/VCT funds into various environmentally focussed projects.
- Acted for Earthworm on the deployment of £60m into various EIS qualifying projects operating within the recovery solution sector.
- Worked with Mattioli Woods on a funding programme designed to create one of the country’s largest privately owned national reaching organics processing businesses.
Led from Bristol by Chris Dyson and the ‘calm and strategic’ Rory Suggett, Ashfords LLP has a strong reputation among funds, as well as a growing roster of tech sector investees, particularly as it relates to early-stage financings. The team was also recently enhanced by the arrival of several lawyers with in-house fund-side expertise, including London-based Kim Hawkins who joined in February 2021 from now defunct impact EIS fund Earthworm VC. Praised for its market knowledge, gleaned from many years’ experience advising on transactions in the sector, the firm knows ‘where market standard is at any one time’, and is thereby well-positioned to provide the most appropriate advice dependent on where the company seeking investment is within its growth journey. Head of the firm’s corporate department and business services division, Andrew Betteridge also has significant venture capital expertise, as does Jocelyn Ormond, who has a particular niche advising companies and investors in the digital health/life sciences sector.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > PATMA: Trade mark attorneys
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency