Partner in the Restructuring and Insolvency Team with a specialism in cross-border insolvency.
Alan Bennett > Ashfords LLP > Exeter, England > Lawyer Profile
Ashfords LLP Offices
- Go to...
Restructuring & Insolvency; Professional Practice; Personal Insolvency
Alan is a recognised leading figure in the insolvency field, his breadth of experience and practical approach makes him the first port of call for clients with cross border issues. He is a ranked lawyer UK wide for Personal Insolvency by Chambers and Partners.
Alan advises insolvency practitioners, directors, lenders and individuals on a range of insolvency issues including antecedent transactions, sale and purchase of insolvent businesses, advice on COMI including switching COMI, recognition of foreign insolvency proceedings, restructuring and advice to corporates facing financial difficulties.
- Private company: Acting for the buyer on the purchase from Administrators of an insolvent waste-to-energy site. Advising on security, retention of title, licensing and third party asset issues within the wider context of the transaction.
- Private individual: Acting for a bankrupt individual in successfully opposing an application made by the Official Receiver to annul his bankruptcy on the grounds that the order ought not to have been made some two years after the bankruptcy was discharged.
- Private individual: Acting for a Trustee in Bankruptcy in relation to antecedent transaction litigation overturning a purported transfer of the Bankrupt’s interest to his wife and security to third parties resulting in a significant dividend to creditors.
- Private US company: Acting for a US company in a successful application to put it into administration in England and Wales by persuading the Court that its COMI was in the UK. Subsequently acting for the Joint Administrators in selling the business and assets as a going concern to a third party.
- Private company: Advising an overseas company on moving its COMI/obtaining a letter of request to enable it to be placed into Administration in England and its assets realised.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Praised for its ‘broad experience in both contentious and non-contentious insolvency’, Ashfords LLP is particularly well known for its cross-border work for a wide range of clients. Alan Bennett heads the department with offices in Bristol and Exeter, and sports extensive experience handling insolvencies in a number of jurisdictions. Land and asset recovery as well as insolvent estates of deceased persons are the specialisms of David Pomeroy.
Drawing on a ‘good mix of technical know-how and commercial acumen’, Ashfords LLP provides a ‘cost effective service’ to stakeholders engaged in a wide variety of corporate and personal insolvency assignments. Under the guidance of the ‘knowledgeable, commercial and pragmatic’ Alan Bennett , who splits his time between the firm’s London and Bristol offices, the team has gained most acclaim for its contentious insolvency expertise, as well as its skill at handling insolvencies in the professional services field. The ‘technically brilliant’ Amy Gallimore has an excellent following among IPs in the SME market, and is also ‘highly skilled in navigating professional disciplinary investigations’.
- Leading individuals - South West > Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - South West > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Employment > Employment: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Transport > Shipping
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence