Mark Manning > Ashfords LLP > Exeter, England > Lawyer Profile
Ashfords LLP Offices
- Go to...
Construction & Infrastructure
Mark is a Partner in the Construction & Infrastructure Team specialising in complex building and engineering contracts and ancillary contract documentation as well as construction and engineering disputes.
Mark has significant experience in advising on and negotiating the contractual documentation used within the construction and engineering sector and providing advice and assistance on dispute avoidance and resolution.
Mark also regularly provides dispute resolution assistance within the construction and engineering sector, including assisting clients with adjudications and pre-action negotiations. He also has a wealth of experience in advising on complex disputes arising in relation to PPP/PFI contracts.
Mark has extensive building contract experience and is described in Chambers & Partners Legal Directory as “proactive” and a “can-do person”, with clients praising his ability.
- Local authority: Advising a local authority in setting up their framework agreement for the delivery of capital works, housing and mechanical and electrical works. The work involved drafting the framework agreement for the appointment of contractors and consultants, forms of underlying call off contracts and associated documentation (including collateral warranties, parent company guarantees and performance bonds) together with a form of access agreement to allow other public sector bodies to call off works and services from the framework.
- International retailer: Advising in respect of contracts for all of this major retailer’s pan European construction works, including new build and store fit outs.
- Facilities management contractor: Representing the FM contractor in respect of an adjudication between the SPV company and the contractor in relation to categorisation of lifecycle works.
- Private clients: Advising private clients in respect of contract documentation for design and construction of high end residential refurbishment works.
- Repairs and maintenance contractor: Carrying out regular contract reviews and construction advice for repairs and maintenance contractor.
Providing ‘the upmost professional level of service’, Ashfords LLP construction and infrastructure practice is well regarded in the market for both its non-contentious and dispute offering. Often acting for local authorities, the firm is increasingly involved in matters pertaining to modern methods of construction and off-site manufacturing. Dispute resolution specialist Patrick Blake leads the team, which is located in offices across Exeter and Bristol. Accredited adjudicator Stephen Homer and waste and utilities expert Mark Manning are further key contacts. With the arrival of Carl Thompson, who joined the team in January 2022 from Osborne Clarke LLP and is noted for his ‘fantastic ownership mentality’, the practice has bolstered its strengths in the energy and utilities sector, particularly in relation to renewable energy projects. The expertise of senior associate Laura Reeve ranges from commercial, residential and retail sectors to local government as well as energy and waste.
Noted for its ‘very strong knowledge and practical working experience of the sector’, Ashfords LLP counts energy, waste and leisure amongst its core sectors. Project sponsors, lenders, and local authorities regularly seek out the practice’s expertise in regard to sustainability and decarbonisation projects. Brian Farrell heads the team, which is based across Exeter and Bristol, and specialises in the delivery and support of substantial energy generation and waste recourse management projects for both the public and private sector. Project finance and PFI transactions are part of Clare Brewer‘s advisory offering, while Mark Manning focuses on construction and infrastructure projects. Partner Jonathan Croley assists clients in the waste and energy sector and is praised for being ‘excellent at addressing difficult matters’. Carl Thompson, who fields extensive know-how in energy projects, joined the practice from Osborne Clarke LLP in early 2022.
- Construction - South West > Real estate
- Energy, project finance and PFI - South West > Projects, energy and natural resources
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Employment > Employment: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Transport > Shipping
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence