- BGF Ventures: Advising on a syndicated £7 million Series B funding in Triptease, a SaaS business improving the online travel booking process.
- PleaseTech: Advising on the sale of PleaseTech Ltd, a leading software company specialising in collaborative authoring and document review, to Ideagen Plc.
- Currencycloud: Advising investors including Sapphire Ventures, Accomplice, Notion Capital, XAnge and Anthemis on a Series D investment in fintech payment platform, Currencycloud.
- Glow Digital Media: Advising on the sale of social media advertising business Glow Digital Media to Spanish adtech company ADTZ.
- NewVoiceMedia: Advising a syndicate of investors including Notion Capital, Eden Ventures and Highland Capital Partners on over $100 million of funding in NewVoiceMedia, a provider of cloud-based contact centre technology and services.
Chris Dyson > Ashfords LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Ashfords LLP Offices
TOWER WHARF, CHEESE LANE
- Go to...
Corporate & Technology.
Partner in the Corporate Team and Head of the Technology Sector.
Chris specialises in venture capital and mergers and acquisitions, advising a wide range of UK and international investment funds and growth companies. He has significant experience in European and U.S. cross-border investments and exits.
Chris is a non-executive director of Ruby Datum, a company providing next generation cloud data room and contract management services, and sits on several board advisory panels.
He is recognised in both the Legal 500 and the Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Ashfords LLP stands out for its work advising fast-growing technology companies on investment rounds, transactions and commercial agreements. The practice has particular specialisms in the fintech and digital health sectors; it is also increasingly active in the energy space. Elsewhere, the team is instructed by prominent public and private sector clients to handle technology outsourcing agreements. Chris Dyson leads the team and is recognised for his expertise in technology transactions, with Jocelyn Ormond also adept at handling deals involving private equity and venture capital funds. Suzie Miles is the key name to note in IT outsourcing.
Ashfords LLP‘s Bristol office is known for advising venture capital funds and startups on investments, with a particular focus on the healthcare and technology sectors; where it is also active in M&A and commercial transactions, as well as associated areas such as fintech and healthtech. Chris Dyson leads the practice’s VC work and specialises in technology transactions, while Jocelyn Ormond handles deals involving healthcare and financial services. Rory Suggett is another name to note on corporate deals, while Suzie Miles is the key name on commercial transactions, with a practice which includes advising on outsourcing and distribution agreements.
Led from Bristol by Chris Dyson and the ‘calm and strategic’ Rory Suggett, Ashfords LLP has a strong reputation among funds, as well as a growing roster of tech sector investees, particularly as it relates to early-stage financings. The team was also recently enhanced by the arrival of several lawyers with in-house fund-side expertise, including London-based Kim Hawkins who joined in February 2021 from now defunct impact EIS fund Earthworm VC. Praised for its market knowledge, gleaned from many years’ experience advising on transactions in the sector, the firm knows ‘where market standard is at any one time’, and is thereby well-positioned to provide the most appropriate advice dependent on where the company seeking investment is within its growth journey. Head of the firm’s corporate department and business services division, Andrew Betteridge also has significant venture capital expertise, as does Jocelyn Ormond, who has a particular niche advising companies and investors in the digital health/life sciences sector.
- IT and telecoms - South West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Leading individuals - South West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Corporate and commercial: Bristol - South West > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Employment > Employment: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Transport > Shipping
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence