Paul Butterworth > Ashfords LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Ashfords LLP Offices
TOWER WHARF, CHEESE LANE
- Go to...
Paul is a Partner in our Real Estate team.
Paul advises housing clients on major regeneration and development projects, as well as on private and public finance in the sector. He advises on regulatory frameworks for Registered Providers and also local authorities on their powers related to such projects. His clients are generally Registered Providers, Local authorities and other housing developers.
Paul has worked in-house at both a housing association and local authority, providing him with a view from the inside.
He is recognised as a leading figure in both the Legal 500 and Chambers Partners Guide to the Legal Profession and “attracts praise for his long-standing excellence in the property regeneration sphere. He also has an impressive advisory practice, which includes providing counsel on right to buy schemes and funding matters”. Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession 2018
- Large south east RP: Acting on two major regeneration projects with combined value of over £400m to include negotiation of development agreements, complex title investigation and land assembly, managing large finance security matter.
- RPs: Leading on over £100m of lending to Registered Providers to include creation of security pack, review of certificates of title and ensuring compliance with conditions precedent prior to drawdown.
- RPs: Leading and advising on stock rationalisation and stock swap transactions for a Registered Providers to include helping to set up data room, drafting sale agreements, leading due diligence meetings and exchanging and completing.
- RP: Acquisition of a number of extracare schemes, including negotiation of bespoke £20m project with major national house builder outside their usual framework development agreement.
- Local authority: Leading on procurement of large scale regeneration site for a local authority in London to include draft development agreement and related agreements, answering due diligence queries, negotiation of documents.
Large-scale property development, property finance and real estate investment are part of Ashfords LLP real estate practice, which attracts a variety of clients ranging from house builders and commercial developers to franchisors and local authorities. Practice head Andrew Worley is well versed in leases of retail property as well as purchasing property for personal pension schemes alongside franchising matters. Praised for her ability to ‘cut through issues quickly’, Kate Topp advises clients on the promotion, purchase and sale of land for residential development. Major regeneration and development projects constitute an area of expertise for Paul Butterworth.
Residential development, energy and waste, and social housing are three of the key sectors for Ashfords LLP South West real estate practice with offices in Exeter and Bristol. The firm sports a highly specialised set of practitioners: Practice heads Tim Heal and Kate Topp provide expertise in large-scale residential-led development; Paul Butterworth focuses on housing and regeneration; energy and waste are handled by Emma Warren; and Andrew Worley covers the team’s franchising offering. Simon Bailey is a go-to contact for transactional matters, and was promoted to partner in September 2021 alongside health and charity sector expert Ben Tarrant. Robin De Wreede joined the firm at the beginning of 2021 from Davitt Jones Bould and brings to bear experience spanning regeneration and development projects, acquisition and disposals, and landlord and tenant matters.
Ashfords LLP possesses a strong presence in the South West with offices in Exeter, Bristol, Taunton and Plymouth, which work closely with the firm’s London hub to provide comprehensive advice for clients in and outside the capital. Sian Gibbon leads the housing litigation and tenancy management team and is regularly involved in disrepair claims and counterclaims, social housing fraud causes, and injunctions to enforce tenancy obligations. The property and development side of the practice is spearheaded by Paul Butterworth, who is specialised in large scale complex development and regeneration work. Public sector expert Lucy Woods handles public procurement issues, while senior associate Isabelle Clement regularly deals with matters pertaining to development.
The public sector team at Ashfords LLP features a wide range of specialists in employment, construction and infrastructure, planning, real estate, procurement and dispute resolution. Over recent years, the team has been busy assisting clients with their legal and financial obligations relating to the pandemic, and the subsequent lockdown and social distancing restrictions. Team leader Lucy Woods has extensive experience in procurement and local government matters, while Bristol-based Paul Butterworth focuses on major real estate regeneration and development projects. Robin De Wreede has recently joined from Davitt Jones Bould, bringing with him an expertise in handling real estate projects for public sector clients.
- Leading individuals - South West > Real estate > Social housing
- Social housing - South West > Real estate
- Commercial property: Bristol - South West > Real estate
- Commercial property: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall - South West > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Employment > Employment: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Transport > Shipping
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Public sector > Health
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence