Mr Frederick Hui > Zhong Lun Law Firm > Hong Kong, Hong Kong > Lawyer Profile
Zhong Lun Law Firm Offices
4/F JARDINE HOUSE
1 CONNAUGHT PLACE, CENTRAL
- Go to...
Mr Frederick Hui
Frederick is an arbitrator as well as a Solicitor Advocate (Civil) who has attained the Higher Rights of Audience. He has rights to appear in all levels of civil courts in Hong Kong. As of October 2022, while there are over 10,000 solicitors in Hong Kong, there are only 84 Solicitor Advocates (Civil).
Frederick joined Zhong Lun from DLA Piper which he had worked at for about 10 years. Frederick specializes in commercial litigation, international arbitration and white-collar crime. Frederick has particular experience in advising and handling high value shareholders and equity related disputes, multijurisdictional commercial disputes, commercial fraud, worldwide enforcement of judgments and arbitration awards, white collar crime and departmental summonses, and securities regulatory enforcement and investigation. Additionally, Frederick deals with high value, complex probate and matrimonial disputes.
Frederick frequently represents financial institutions, insurance companies, multinational corporations, non-governmental organizations, Chinese state-owned enterprises as well as major shipping companies in complex commercial cross-border disputes in courts in China, Hong Kong and London and international arbitration tribunals.
English, Chinese (Cantonese and Putonghua)
- Pro bono legal advisor of Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières) since 2005
- Member of the Hong Kong Institute of Directors
- Member of the Joint Tribunal of the Bar Council and the Law Society of Hong Kong
- Member of Disciplinary Panel A of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Examiner of the Higher Rights of Audience Assessment Board
- Arbitrator of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Arbitrator of the Hainan International Arbitration Court
- Supporting member and arbitrator of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association
- Member of the Council on Human Reproductive Technology
- Member of the Nursing Council
- Member of the Mental Health Review Tribunal
- Member of the Appeal Panel (Travel Industry Ordinance) of the Tourism Commission
- Member of the Appeal Panel (Housing)
- Member of the Fishermen Claims Appeal Board (Trawl Ban)
- Member of the Advisory Committee on Agriculture and Fisheries of the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department
- Former chairman of the Appeal Tribunal Panel Section 45 of the Buildings Ordinance (Cap. 123)
- Former School Manager of Wah Yan College Kowloon and Wah Yan Primary School
- Former Adjudicator of the Registration of Persons Tribunal
- Former Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
D.B.A. (candidate), Peking University / University of Hong Kong
LL.M., University of Hong Kong
Postgraduate Diploma (Commercial Law), University of Hong Kong
P.C.LL., University of Hong Kong
LL.B., University of London, United Kingdom
B.Sc., University of Toronto, Canada
Often working closely with their PRC offices to deal with multi-jurisdictional cross-border matters, the Hong Kong team of Red Circle firm Zhong Lun Law Firm ‘proposes realistic and cost-effective solutions’ in relation to disputes with a nexus to China. The ‘experienced, sophisticated and creative’ Frederick Hui regularly handles international arbitration matters as part of his wide-ranging disputes practice, and is lauded as a ‘sharp solicitor-advocate’. Gilbert Leung is also a key member of the team and has built up a particularly strong reputation advising on financial services litigation.
Zhong Lun Law Firm has ‘a strong connection in the PRC and offers one-stop-shop service in Hong Kong’ across a range of contentious and non-contentious mandates, and is ‘brilliant in handling complicated cross-border matters’. While it also acts in commercial litigation, among other disciplines, the office has gained most acclaim for its ‘very strong private client offering’, which includes handling trusts, estate administration issues, tax work and succession planning matters, including for high-net-worth PRC individuals. ‘Seasoned and very experienced’ private client team head Clifford Ng takes the lead on most of this work and is also noted for his ability to provide ‘innovative and holistic solutions’ on matters with a nexus to Canada. Recently promoted partner Chloe Leung regularly works alongside Ng and is appreciated for her ‘hands-on’ approach and ability to provide ‘practical and strategic solutions’. On the litigation front, solicitor advocate Frederick Hui excels in handling commercial claims, while Dorothy Siron regularly handles private client disputes, including contentious trust, estate, matrimonial and probate matters.
Beijing’s Zhong Lun Law Firm‘s arbitration practice includes Dong Feng and Binbin Sun as co-heads, as well as Huawei Sun , who is active in commercial cases involving public international law, and Wilson Huo. Frederick Hui is a key contact in Hong Kong, as is Gilbert Leung, who has financial services expertise.