Mr Anand Raj > Shearn Delamore & Co > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Lawyer Profile
Shearn Delamore & Co Offices
7th Floor Wisma Hamzah-Kwong Hing
No. 1 Leboh Ampang
- Go to...
Mr Anand Raj
- Competition Law & Antitrust (Co-Head)
- Tax Disputes & Controversy
Partner since 2003
Anand (partner of Shearn Delamore & Co. since 2003) was admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 1996. Anand’s practice areas include all aspects of tax and transfer pricing disputes and litigation as well as competition law & antitrust. Anand is the Co-Head of the firm’s Antitrust Practice.
Anand was recognized as the 2017 Asia Tax Disputes and Litigation Practice Leader of the Year by the International Tax Review (ITR). Asialaw Leading Lawyers (2020 – 2021) recognized Anand as an “Elite Practitioner” in Competition/Antitrust as well as Tax. Anand is recognized as a “Highly Regarded Practitioner” in Indirect Tax and Tax Controversy 2019 – 2021 by the ITR. Anand is ranked by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific (2019 – 2020) as a “Leading Individual” in Tax. Asia Business Law Journal (2020) recognized Anand as one of Malaysia’s Top 100 Lawyers in Competition Law & Antitrust and Tax Disputes & Controversy. Anand is recognized as a “Global Leader” (2019 – 2020) in Competition as well as Corporate Tax Lawyers by Who’s Who Legal.
Anand has acted in numerous leading tax cases, including for the Malaysian Bar, United Plantations Berhad, Castrol (Aspac Lubricants), MUI, ExxonMobil, Multi-Purpose Holdings Berhad, Seabanc Kredit, Paramount (M) (1963) Sdn Bhd, Bandar Utama City Corporation, SGS Singapore, Wincor Nixdorf, Petronas Penapisan, AIACL, SUEP Properties Berhad, Repsol, Flextronics Shah Alam Sdn Bhd, Seaport Worldwide Sdn Bhd, Shell Refining, United Malacca Berhad, Kompleks Tanjung Malim Sdn Bhd and many others.
Anand has also been recognized in the International Who’s Who Legal: Competition Lawyers for 2013 – 2020 and as a Tier 1 leader in his fields by the Global Competition Review (GCR), Chambers Asia-Pacific, Asia-Pacific Legal 500, Asialaw Profiles and other directories. Anand regularly represents and advises MNCs, GLCs, foreign and Malaysian enterprises on Competition Law in industries as diverse as financial services, telecommunications and multimedia, pharmaceuticals, insurance, logistics, hospitality, FMCG, manufacturing and the automotive sector, amongst others. Anand regularly conducts trainings and workshops for clients and is active in providing feedback to the relevant authorities and agencies.
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Inaugural Chair, LAWASIA Antitrust Committee
- International Member, American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section (ABA)
- Former Chair, International Fiscal Association (IFA) Malaysian Branch
- Chair, Tax Sub-Committee of the Malaysian Bar Council
- Member, Competition Law Sub-Committee of the Malaysian Bar Council
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA)
- Co-chair, IPBA Competition Law Committee
- Former Chairperson, American Malaysian Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM)’s Tax Committee
- Rapporteur for Malaysia, International Bar Association (IBA) Antitrust Committee
- Member, IFA Asia-Pacific Regional Committee
- LL.B (Hons), University of London
- Certificate in Legal Practice
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
Anand is one of the authors of Bloomberg BNA's Business Operations in Malaysia. He has also contributed to various domestic and international tax and accounting journals such as:
- Tax Nasional published by the Malaysian Institute of Taxation
- Akauntan Nasional (now known as Accountants Today) published by the Malaysian Institute of Accountants
- The Asia-Pacific Tax Bulletin published by the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation in Amsterdam
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Shearn Delamore & Co advises on tax litigation, audits and investigations for a range of multinational clients, particularly in the oil and gas industry. The team is led by Goh Ka Im, a partner with the full array of tax experience, advising on income, corporate and real property gains tax. Anand Raj is noted for his litigation expertise, and for combining the ability to ‘strategise’ with ‘good knowledge of the industry.’ Transfer pricing matters and investigations are a key part of his practice. Foong Pui Chi is a noted team member.
Shearn Delamore & Co‘s strong track record in antitrust pre-dates the onset of Malaysia’s 2010 Competition Act. In particular, the firm is well-versed in representing multinational and government-linked companies in related compliance matters. Led by Anand Raj and K Shanti Mogan, it counts major clients from the financial, pharmaceutical and construction sectors within its portfolio. Recent case highlights include a potential abuse of dominance case (concerning exclusivity and bundling), an investigation by MyCC over allegations of horizontal infringement and a purported breach of contract (private law dispute). Lilien Wong is the name to note for matters relating to joint ventures and share sales.
- Antitrust and competition - Malaysia
- Leading individuals - Malaysia > Antitrust and competition
- Leading individuals - Malaysia > Tax
- Tax - Malaysia
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Antitrust and competition
- Banking and finance
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Intellectual property
- Labour and employment
- Real estate and construction