Mr Rajasingam Gothandapani > Shearn Delamore & Co > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Lawyer Profile
Shearn Delamore & Co Offices
7th Floor Wisma Hamzah-Kwong Hing
No. 1 Leboh Ampang
- Go to...
Mr Rajasingam Gothandapani
- Shipping & Maritime (Head)
- Dispute Resolution
- Regulatory Compliance & Enforcement
- Land Acquisition & Town and Country Planning
- Energy, Natural Resources & Green Technology
- Arbitration & Mediation
Partner since 2003
Rajasingam graduated with First Class Honours from the International Islamic University in 1995 where he emerged as its Top Law Graduate and was awarded the Royal Gold Medal for Excellence by the Conference of Malay Rulers.
In University he successfully represented Malaysia and his alma mater twice in the International Rounds of the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition held in Philadelphia (1994) and in New York (1995), winning a number of awards.
He was called to Bar on 24.5.1996 and commenced legal practice began as a junior associate in the Firm’s Dispute Resolution wing.
In his first year at the Bar he was awarded the British High Commissioner’s Chevening Scholarship to pursue his Masters of Law (LL.M) in University of Cambridge, UK. On his arrival at the University he was awarded a second scholarship from the Cambridge Commonwealth Trust Society.
On obtaining LL.M (Cantab) he rejoined the Firm as one of its litigators. He was invited into full Partnership in 2003.
Rajasingam’s shipping and maritime practice encompasses a comprehensive range of contentious (litigation and arbitration) and transactional matters on which he regularly advises a wide range of Malaysian and international maritime clients. He has continuously served on the Bar Council’s Sub Committee for Shipping and Admiralty Law Committee.
He has practical knowledge and experience in environmental matters, regulatory compliance, environmental audits, tortious liability issues as well as Energy, Natural Resources and Green Technology related matters.
In relation to Compulsory Land Acquisition matters, Rajasingam undertakes Land Reference hearings, judicial reviews and appeals at all level of the Courts under the Land Acquisition Act 1960. He also appears before the State Appeal Boards in planning permission hearings and appeals under the various town and country planning legislation.
Rajasingam frequently advises on issues relating to anti-money laundering, anti-corruption, breach of trust, and securities legislation as well as represent clients in proceedings brought by the Public Prosecutor and the Securities Commission.
Rajasingam also advises on aboriginal / native customary rights and law in West Malaysia which of recent have come into conflict with rights alienated under the National Land Code 1960.
English, Malay, Tamil
- Member, Bar Council’s Shipping and Admiralty Law Committee
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, London Court of International Arbitration
- Legal Advisor, Pure Life Society Malaysia
- LL.B (Hons, 1st Class), International Islamic University of Malaysia (IIUM)
- LL.M (Hons, 2nd Class Upper) University of Cambridge (UK)
- M.A, University of Cambridge (UK)
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
Has contributed many articles in the International Law Office’s Legal Newsletter on Shipping and Transport including the following:
- Specialised Admiralty Court in the Making
- Government Reviews National Cabotage Policy
- Arresting Ships in Malaysian Waters to Secure a Claim in Arbitration
- Ownership, Registration, Transfer and Mortgage of Malaysian-Flagged Ships
- Actions In Rem: Practice and Procedure
- Act Amended to Allow Ship Arrest to Secure a Claim in Arbitration
- Proposed Arbitration Act Amendments on Ship Arrest
- Foreign Crew: Recognition of Competency Certificates
- New Admiralty Court Established for Resolution of Admiralty and Maritime Disputes
- Domestic Shipping Licence and Foreign Ship Managers
- Pre-empting Arrest: When Ship Owners Resort to Lodging a Caveat Against Arrest”.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Shearn Delamore & Co acts for freight forwarders, logistics companies, ship owners, offshore and marine companies. The firm advises on the full range of shipping matters with expertise and experience in transactional and contentious issues. Rajasingam Gothandapani is leading the team and has assisted clients on salvage and collision claims, regulatory issues and shipbuilding. His clients include banks, shipyards and shipowners.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Antitrust and competition
- Banking and finance
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Intellectual property
- Labour and employment
- Real estate and construction