Stuart Dench > Stewarts Law LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Stewarts Law LLP Offices
5 NEW STREET SQUARE
- Go to...
Stuart is Managing Partner and was formerly Head of Business Development and Marketing for more than 20 years. He has overseen the rapid growth of the firm as it established itself as the UK’s largest litigation-only law practice.
Prior to assuming the role of managing partner, and before that taking charge of business development and marketing, Stuart was a practising personal injury and aviation lawyer. Stuart acted for claimants in UK and international aviation cases and has expertise in high-value and complex personal injury and fatal accident claims. He has been involved in a number of high-profile trials in London as well as cases in the United States and Europe.
Case highlights include:
- Representation of passengers injured following the crash landing of BA038 at Heathrow in January 2008
- Representation of victims of Ladbroke Grove rail accident including resolution of the largest fatal accident claim
- Representation of the estate of Richard Lloyd, a well known racing driver and team manager following an air crash at Biggin Hill.
Stuart qualified as a solicitor in 1996 and joined Stewarts in 1998. He was appointed as a partner and the Head of Business Development and Marketing at the firm in 2000. Stuart succeeded John Cahill as Managing Partner in 2022.
University of Essex; College of Law, York.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
As of May 2022, Daniel Herman has taken over from Paul Paxton as leader of the ‘standout’ personal injury offering at Stewarts Law LLP. The team deals with the most complex, high-value catastrophic personal injury claims, acting exclusively for clients who have suffered life-changing injuries worth a minimum of £1m in damages – its cases often involve road traffic or workplace accidents resulting in such issues as brain, spinal, psychiatric and orthopaedic injury, as well as injuries requiring amputation. It also has extensive experience dealing with cross-border cases. The team’s ethos is that every partner has fewer clients and a smaller workload, allowing them the time necessary to focus fully on the cases that they are running. Stephanie Clarke has been involved with some of the team’s most complex cases in recent years, including a landmark interim payment settlement. Kara Smith leads the pro bono team, which provides 10,000 hours worth of free legal advice to hospital patients, annually. Managing partner Stuart Dench, Charles Edwards and Ben Rogers are also recommended.
- Hall of Fame - London > Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Personal injury: claimant - London > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family
- Dispute resolution > Public international law
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Transport > Travel
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Dispute resolution > Tax litigation and investigations
- Employment > Senior executives
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Insurance > Insurance litigation: for policyholders