Gary Parnell > Stevens & Bolton LLP > Guildford, England > Lawyer Profile
Stevens & Bolton LLP Offices
- Go to...
Partner and head of Technology & Media. With over twenty years’ experience in business and law, Gary has amassed a wealth of knowledge on outsourcing, information technology and digital business (including Blockchain and AI), data privacy, intellectual property, procurement, financial regulation and other general commercial law matters.
As well as regularly advising technology businesses, Gary also has particular expertise advising clients operating in the insurance sector, providing specialist commercial law advice on insurance distribution arrangements (including affinity partnerships), outsourcings (both onshore and offshore), IT projects (including Insurtech) and complex cross-border data privacy matters.
Started career in IT, working for a number of years as a project manager for BT, gaining valuable industry knowledge handling major outsourcing arrangements for clients in the IT and defence sectors. Gary later changed career path, training and qualifying as a lawyer at Nabarro.
Before joining Stevens & Bolton LLP, spent eight years in the Commercial/IT/IP team at Clyde & Co. During his time there, he also undertook high profile secondments to RSA, ACE and Swiss Re.
Member of the Society for Computers & Law and ITechLaw
Stevens & Bolton LLP has been developing its commercial insurance practice since the arrival of Gary Parnell from Clyde & Co LLP in 2015. He now works with a team of three partners in the field, covering a range of work including corporate insurance broker M&A transactions. David Steinberg, who joined the firm in 2016 after a long career at Clifford Chance LLP, has expertise in insurance restructuring and insolvency cases. The team also regularly advises underwriters, intermediaries and technology providers.
Stevens & Bolton LLP‘s Guildford-based group has a client roster, which ranges from start-ups to established technology companies and also includes businesses which utilise technology. Practice head Beverley Whittaker has experience handling IT contracts for outsourced services, cloud arrangements and software development and licensing matters, while Gary Parnell excels in the IT and insurance sectors. Other names to note include Beverley Flynn, who leads the data protection practice; IP expert Tom Lingard and litigator Michael Frisby. Managing associate Charles Maurice, who combines IT and IP expertise, has notable outsourcing expertise.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Real estate > Commercial property: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Human resources > Employment: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Human resources > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport