Alastair works in the Corporate and Commercial team based in Cambridge and leads Tees not-for-profit sector. He has advised businesses and organisations for over 15 years in relation to commercial, intellectual property and technology projects, frequently helping when they are going through significant transformation, growth and change. He works with entrepreneurs, owner managed and family-run businesses and not for profit organisations in a range of sectors, including sport, media, culture and education
Alastair Cotton > Tees Law > Cambridge, England > Lawyer Profile
Tees Law Offices
- Go to...
Corporate and Commercial
Editor (Humanities, Secondary Education), Pearson Education, 2000-2001; British Olympic Association,Partner, Senior Counsel and Board Director, Head of Legal (Commercial and IP), Senior Associate, Tees Law, May 2021 – Present
Bishop’s Stortford College, 1988-1997; MA, History, University of Cambridge, 1997-2000; College of Law, 2002-2003;
Alastair spends most of his spare time chasing after his four children, or chasing after hockey balls after returning to play after a long break.
Tees Law in Cambridge recently recruited senior associate Alastair Cotton, formerly of the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), to lead on brand protection matters for clients in the sport, media, education, and cultural sectors. Cotton also focuses on issues concerning ambush marketing and the staging of sports events. Since joining, he has advised the IPC on a wide range of matters including with the protection, exploitation and enforcement of its intellectual property rights. This encompassed enforcing the IP rights globally against infringers, and preparing and executing the brand protection strategy for the Paralympic Games.
The practice at Tees Law is ‘professionally diligent and detailed, with deep domain knowledge in key areas‘. ‘Courteous, personable and extremely hardworking‘ senior associate Alastair Cotton leads the Cambridge corporate team, which operates as part of a larger cross-office group led from Brentwood and Bishop’s Stortford. Cotton is ‘a tenacious negotiator with the integrity to apply his experience in a judicious manner that delivers results‘. He focuses predominantly on commercial matters, though is also active in M&A, joint ventures, MBOs, private equity transactions and restructurings.
- Intellectual property - East Anglia > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Corporate and commercial: Cambridge - East Anglia > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media, entertainment and sport
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge