Ms Rosabel Ng > WongPartnership LLP > Singapore, Singapore > Lawyer Profile
WongPartnership LLP Offices
12 MARINA BOULEVARD, LEVEL 28
MARINA BAY FINANCIAL CENTRE TOWER 3
- Go to...
Ms Rosabel Ng
Financial Services Group; Derivatives & Structured Products Practice; Financial Services Regulatory Practice; FinTech Practice; Sustainability & Responsible Business Practice.
Head – Derivatives & Structured Products Practice;
Partner – Financial Services Regulatory, FinTech, and Sustainability & Responsible Business Practices.
Her main areas of practice are financial markets and services regulatory and advisory (with specific focus on the regulation of derivatives and structured products, as well as regulatory compliance and advisory matters relating to primary financial market infrastructure providers), derivatives transactions, structured finance and other treasury-related work.
Significant transactions that Rosabel has been involved in include advising / acting for the following:
- The arranger and hedge provider in the first Singapore retail offer of structured notes by a corporate issuer, Keppel Structured Notes Pte. Ltd., in 2006, and acting for Société Générale in the first Singapore retail offer of structured notes by a financial institution in 2012 under the revised regulatory regime after the 2008-2009 global financial crisis.
- A licensed bank on all legal, regulatory and documentary issues relating to the sale and transfer of its OTC derivatives business portfolio to a prospective buyer.
- A consortium comprising local and overseas corporations in respect of their application to the Monetary Authority of Singapore for a digital wholesale bank licence to be issued by the Authority.
- A UK-based FinTech service provider seeking to provide innovative technological liquidity platforms and solutions to facilitate foreign exchange and foreign exchange derivative trades in emerging market currencies in its successful application for regulatory approval under Singapore’s initial FinTech initiatives.
- Europe’s largest operator of securities and derivatives exchanges and clearing houses in the establishment of its Asian clearing and trading venues in Singapore, and on the regulatory aspects of its proposed merger with another major international financial market infrastructure provider, including merger control approvals, exemptions and clearances.
- Various participants in Singapore’s climate impact ecosystem on the legal and regulatory considerations for establishing a hub for carbon-related products and services. Awards & Accolades:
Rosabel is recommended as a top-tier practitioner by Chambers Asia-Pacific – Asia-Pacific’s Leading Lawyers for Business since 2016, in the area of Securitisation & Derivatives and is ranked as a leading individual for Financial Services Regulatory matters in Singapore in The Legal 500: Asia Pacific – The Client’s Guide to the Asia Pacific Legal Profession since 2017. She is recognised as a leading capital markets lawyer by Who’s Who Legal: Capital Markets 2016 and 2017 as well as a leading structured finance and securitisation lawyer by Expert Guides – Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law since 2012, and is further recognised in AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers in the areas of Structured Finance and Regulatory. Rosabel is listed in IFLR Asia Best Lawyers 2020, and in IFLR 1000 Women Leaders 2018 which recognises 300 female lawyers in the world considered to be among the best transactional specialists in their markets and practice areas by clients and peers, and based on track record. Rosabel was the winner of the Asialaw Awards 2020 (for Client Service Excellence) and “Lawyer of the Year in Singapore”, and also won the ILO Client Choice Awards 2012 for Derivatives in Singapore.
Publications & Legal Updates:
- Law Gazette – Going “Green” the Singapore way 2011
- Getting The Deal Through – Banking Regulation, Singapore Chapter 2016
- Butterworths Journal of International Banking & Financial Law – Inside and outside Singapore’s proposed FinTech regulatory sandbox: balancing supervision and innovation 2016
- Chambers Asia-Pacific – Singapore Country Overview 2017
English, Mandarin and French. Conversant in basic Japanese.
Member, Law Society of Singapore and International Swaps and Derivatives Association’s Legal & Regulatory Committee.
Admitted, 1994, Singapore; 1998, England & Wales; National University of Singapore (LL.B., Hons.); King’s College, University of London (LL.M.).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
WongPartnership LLP has long been at the forefront of the financial services regulatory (FSR) and compliance market in Singapore. Besides providing comprehensive advice on non-contentious matters – ranging from applications to the MAS for digital bank licences, to banking secrecy issues, anti-money laundering concerns and rules relating to the sales and marketing of investment products – the practice also fields dispute resolution experts who are able to assist in enforcement investigations. Recent areas of activity include advising several international banks and payment service providers on the implications of the new Payment Services Act 2019 (PSA). Elaine Chan, who acts for banks, fund managers, insurers, commodity traders, broker dealers and clearing houses in regulatory and transactional mandates, and Joy Tan, who focuses on corporate governance and financial services regulatory matters under the Companies Act, Securities and Futures Act and other regulatory statutes, jointly lead the FSR group. Another key contact is Rosabel Ng, who has in-depth knowledge of the Singapore regulatory framework for the regulation of financial markets. The firm also houses a multi-disciplinary team focused on the fintech sector, whose members collaborate on transactional and regulatory matters cutting across issues such as blockchain, tokenisations and cryptocurrencies, venture capital fundraisings and emerging digital technologies. Key individuals for this type of work include Sion Yoong Tian, Sin Wei Ong, Kylie Peh and Kyle Lee.
Praised for its ‘excellent knowledge of the legal and regulatory environment in Singapore and the region‘, WongPartnership LLP fields a dedicated team of derivatives lawyers, who are seasoned in OTC derivatives of all types of asset classes. Bringing together expertise in derivatives, structured products and financial services regulations, the practice is a popular destination for clients seeking transactional and regulatory advice. Leading the department, financial markets and services regulatory expert Rosabel Ng handles a range of derivatives transactions and structured finance matters on behalf of issuers, sponsors, arrangers and investors. Tian Sion Yoong, who is recommended for his ability ‘to understand cutting-edge and novel transactions‘, regularly assists clients in the preparation and negotiation of derivatives documentation, and advises financial institutions on the new regulatory landscape in Singapore.
- Capital markets: structured finance, derivatives and securitisation: Local firms - Singapore
- Fintech and financial services regulatory: local firms - Singapore
- Leading individuals - Singapore > Capital markets: structured finance, derivatives and securitisation: Local firms
- Leading individuals - Singapore > Fintech and financial services regulatory: local firms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Antitrust and competition: local firms
- Banking and finance: local firms
- Capital markets: equity and debt: local firms
- Capital markets: structured finance, derivatives and securitisation: Local firms
- Construction: Local firms
- Corporate and M&A: local firms
- Dispute resolution: local firms
- Fintech and financial services regulatory: local firms
- International arbitration
- Private wealth and family law – local firms
- Projects and energy: local firms
- Real estate: local firms
- Restructuring and insolvency: local firms
- Start-up and venture capital – Local firms