Mr Chung Nian Lam > WongPartnership LLP > Singapore, Singapore > Lawyer Profile
WongPartnership LLP Offices
12 MARINA BOULEVARD, LEVEL 28
MARINA BAY FINANCIAL CENTRE TOWER 3
- Go to...
Mr Chung Nian Lam
Intellectual Property, Technology & Data Group
Head of the Intellectual Property, Technology & Data Group
He handles both contentious and non-contentious matters in the areas of intellectual property (“IP”), media, information technology (“IT”), data protection and telecommunications law, and has extensive experience working on regulatory, transactional, enforcement and advisory projects in these areas, counting among his clients multinational companies, listed corporations and government regulators.
Significant transactions that Chung Nian has been involved in include advising / acting for the following:
- Singapore Airlines Limited (“SIA”) on IP issues relating to its Singapore Airlines App Challenge, a global innovation platform for participants all over the world to showcase their most innovative solutions to SIA’s business challenges.
- MSD in its dispute with Merck KGAA over the “Merck” name in Singapore proceedings.
- The Singapore Government Technology Agency (“GovTech”) on its technology and other SmartNation initiatives.
- EPIC Healthcare on its agreements to roll out of its electronic medical records (“EMR”) solutions to public hospitals in Singapore.
- OCBC Bank and DBS Bank on their electronic banking and other digitalisation initiatives, including electronic re-papering, licensing and other agreements to support its API banking offerings, regional common electronic account access and adoption of new payment rails. Publications & Legal Updates:
- Data Protection & Privacy: International Series (3ed) (Sweet & Maxwell, 2016)
- The Art Collecting Legal Handbook (Thomson Reuters, 2013 and 2016)
- Communications: Regulation and Outsourcing Global Guide (Thomson Reuters, 2015)
- IP Client Strategies in the Asia-Pacific (Aspatore Books, 2011)
Awards & Accolades: Chung Nian has established himself as one of Singapore’s leading practitioners in his areas of expertise, having won many awards and accolades including the Telecommunications category award for Singapore at International Law Office’s Client Choice Awards 2016 and the Intellectual Property: Trademarks Award for Singapore at International Law Office’s Client Choice Awards 2015, and most recently the Lawyer of the Year for Information Technology Law for Singapore in the 2020 edition of Best Lawyers.Chung Nian is one of only two lawyers in Singapore to be identified in Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Data 2019. He is the only Singapore lawyer ranked in all three TMT areas in Expert Guides – Technology, Media & Telecommunications, 2015 and has also been named by Who’s Who Legal as one of the “15 most highly regarded individuals in the world” for Telecoms & Media in 2014. Chung Nian has also been recognised in the Transactional chapter of Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences 2021. His expertise has also been recognised by many other legal directories, including Best Lawyers; Chambers Asia-Pacific; The Legal 500: Asia Pacific; Managing IP: IP Stars Handbook; World Trademark Review 1000; asialaw Leading Lawyers; asialaw Profiles; Who’s Who Legal: Telecommunications Media & Technology; and Who’s Who Legal: Life Sciences amongst others.
-President of the Asian Patent Attorney Association (Singapore Chapter), a member of the International Trademark Association, and the Intellectual Property Committee of the Law Society of Singapore.
-He has also served as a Co-Chair of the International Bar Association (“IBA”) Communications Law Committee, of which he is now a member of its Advisory Board, and is currently also a member of the Projects Committee of the IBA, and has also been appointed as a member of the IBA Presidential Task Force on Cyber Security.
National University of Singapore (LL.B., Hons.)
Registered Patent Agent, Singapore
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals) (Leading individuals)
|Singapore: Employee Incentives||February 2023||This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Employee Incentives laws and regulations that may occur in Singapore.|
- Leading individuals - Singapore > TMT: local firms
- Leading individuals - Singapore > Intellectual property: Local firms
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Antitrust and competition: local firms
- Banking and finance: local firms
- Capital markets: equity and debt: local firms
- Capital markets: structured finance, derivatives and securitisation: Local firms
- Construction: Local firms
- Corporate and M&A: local firms
- Dispute resolution: local firms
- Fintech and financial services regulatory: local firms
- International arbitration
- Private wealth and family law – local firms
- Projects and energy: local firms
- Real estate: local firms
- Restructuring and insolvency: local firms
- Start-up and venture capital – Local firms