Mr Ashok Kumar Mahadev Ranai > Skrine > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Lawyer Profile
Level 8, Wisma UOA Damansara
50 JALAN DUNGUN, DAMANSARA HEIGHTS
50490 KUALA LUMPUR
- Go to...
Mr Ashok Kumar Mahadev Ranai
- Construction Litigation, Arbitration and Adjudication
- Oil and Gas, and Energy Disputes
- Construction Inquiries and Investigations
- Occupational Safety and Health
- Aviation Disputes
Ashok is the co-head of the Construction and Engineering practice in Skrine.
He is an experienced dispute resolution lawyer with an extensive experience in Construction, Infrastructure and Energy Project Disputes. He sits regularly as an arbitrator in both ad-hoc and institutional commercial arbitrations.
His active arbitration and dispute resolution practice as Lead Counsel spans a variety of construction, corporate and commercial disputes. His portfolio of work includes advising various multinational companies specialised in their disputes involving civil building construction, the oil and gas industry, aviation, refinery plant maintenance, energy, telecommunication, infrastructure and health maintenance industries.
Ashok was the former Chairman of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Malaysia Branch. He is also on the panel of arbitrators for the Asian International Arbitration Centre (“AIAC”), the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (“SIAC”), the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (“HKIAC”) and the International Chamber of Commerce Malaysia (“ICC”). He continues to have numerous appointments as sole arbitrator.
He has been at the forefront in developing the jurisprudence in the Malaysian arbitration law, the Arbitration Act 2005 and has published several commentaries on recent case law as he was directly involved in setting out its implications on the arbitral regime in Malaysia.
English and Malay.
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
- Society of Construction Law
- Malaysian Institute of Adjudicators
- Panel Member of Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Panel Member of Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Panel Member of Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Panel Member of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2009)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1996)
- Barrister-at-Law (Gray’s Inn) (1995)
- LL.B (Hons), Wales (1994)
Skrine‘s real estate practice stands out for its work on property developments, drawing on the expertise of the closely linked construction and engineering practice. Theresa Chong is a key name for commercial real estate transactions, regularly advising multinational clients; she also has a niche in assisting educational institutions setting up in Malaysia and for hotel operators and owners of hotels. Ashok Kumar Mahadev Ranai and Ivan Loo are experienced construction litigators, who are both highly active as arbitrators. Richard Khoo‘s practice focuses on non-contentious construction and engineering. He has considerable experience advising government-linked companies and developers on infrastructure, commercial and residential developments, and on drafting and negotiating project documents.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Intellectual property
- Labour and employment
- TMT (including Fintech)
- TMT (including Fintech)