The Honorable Tan Sri Dato' V.C. George > Skrine > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Lawyer Profile
Level 8, Wisma UOA Damansara
50 JALAN DUNGUN, DAMANSARA HEIGHTS
50490 KUALA LUMPUR
- Go to...
The Honorable Tan Sri Dato' V.C. George
Tan Sri Dato’ V.C. George was called to the English Bar by the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn on 2 February 1957. He practised at the Bar in Malaysia in all branches of law from 1957 to 31 December 1980, in the latter years as Senior Partner of his firm. His practice largely concerned on commercial work, and he appears regularly in the superior Courts as Senior Counsel and occasionally sitting as arbitrator in commercial disputes.
Tan Sri was elevated to the Bench of the High Court of Malaya on 1 January 1981. From April 1983, he was one of the four judges in the newly formed Commercial Division of the High Court in Kuala Lumpur and went on to head the division. He was elevated as a Judge of the Court of Appeal in September 1994 before retiring from the Bench in December 1995. Thereafter, he was re-registered as a member of the Malaysian Bar and was appointed to be a consultant at Skrine.
Post retirement and to date, he has completed some 50 arbitrations (domestic and international) in respect of commercial disputes sitting as Sole Arbitrator, as a member of an Arbitral Tribunal and/or as Chair of the Tribunal.
He has over a hundred written judgments reported in various law journals including the Malayan Law Journal, Current Law Journal, Intellectual Property in Asia and the Pacific, and in the Intellectual Property Reports of Australia.
In March 1987, he was conferred the title of Dato’ Paduka Mahkota Selangor (D.P.M.S.) by His Highness the Sultan of Selangor.
In June 2012, he was conferred the title of Panglima Setia Mahkota (P.S.M.) which carries the title of ‘Tan Sri’ by the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong, Tuanku Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah.
Tan Sri was a member of the Bar Council of Malaysia from 1963 and was re-elected every year until 1981, when he was then elevated to the Bench. He was elected as Chairman of the Selangor (which then included Kuala Lumpur) Bar Committee in 1972 and 1973 and was elected as President of the Bar Council from 1974 to 1976.
In 2012, he was the recipient of the Malaysian Bar’s prestigious Malaysian Bar Lifetime Achievement Award.
English and Malay.
- Member, Panel of Conciliators and of Arbitrators, International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) (1990-1996)
- President, Royal Selangor Club (1994-1995)
- Member, of the Bar Council of Malaysia (1963-1981)
- President & Chairman, Malaysian Bar Council (1974-1976)
- Chairman, Selangor (which then included Kuala Lumpur) Bar Committee (1972-1973)
- Senator, Junior Chamber International
- Chairman, Disciplinary Boards, Royal Selangor Golf Club
- Advisor, Executive Committee, United Nations Association of Malaysia
- Non-Executive Independent Director, Financial Mediation Bureau (The amalgamation and corporatisation of the Banking Mediation Bureau and the Insurance Mediation Bureau)
- Member, Tun Razak Foundation (and formerly of its Investment Committee)
- Former member, Advisory Board, Butterworth’s Malaysian Court Practice (in respect of the Comprehensive work)
- Judge of the Court of Appeal (1994 – 1995)
- Judge of the High Court of Malaya (1981 – 1994)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1957)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (1957)