William Watson > Slaughter and May > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Slaughter and May Offices
ONE BUNHILL ROW
- Go to...
Areas of expertise:
Infrastructure and Energy
William’s a partner and his practice covers all UK taxes relevant to corporate and financing transactions.
Particular areas of interest include real estate and the oil and gas sector. However, William also has extensive experience of M&A, demergers and other corporate structuring, private equity and debt and equity financing and in recent years he has built up a substantial (and, to date, successful) tax litigation practice.
Joined Slaughter and May in 1994. Partner since 2004.
St Paul’s School; Merton College, Oxford (MA Classics).
Chess (professional player 1984-92), theatre, skiing.
Slaughter and May fields a team with a ‘high level of knowledge and experience‘, active on the full spectrum of tax matters, including transactions, restructurings and IPOs. The department is led by Mike Lane, who advises both domestic and international clients on a wide range of tax issues, including M&A, structured finance, and contentious matters. Gareth Miles has significant experience in private equity, and works on both domestic and cross-border M&A transactions. Dominic Robertson advises businesses on all areas of tax law, with a special focus on tech and life sciences, while recently promoted partner Charles Osborne has experience in group reorganisations and contentious matters. William Watson has a particular interest in the real estate and energy sectors, with additional experience in contentious tax. Associate Sarah Osprey is also noted.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employee share schemes
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Insurance > Insurance: corporate and regulatory
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £500m+
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Dispute resolution > Tax litigation and investigations
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Finance > Debt capital markets
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – mid-large cap
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Infrastructure
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Employment > Pensions: dispute resolution
- Industry focus > TMT
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Finance > Derivatives and structured products
- Employment > Employers
- Real estate > Environment
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Investment fund formation and management > Listed funds
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Finance > Securitisation
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Real estate > Property finance
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Real estate > Planning
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions – high-value deals (£250m+)