Charles Arrand > Shoosmiths LLP > Milton Keynes, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
FIRST FLOOR, WITAN GATE HOUSE
500-600 WITAN GATE WEST
- Go to...
Commercial - dispute resolution and compliance
Charles is a partner with over 20 years’ experience in providing regulatory crime advice to corporations and its directors on investigations, prosecutions and other enforcement actions in relation to the offences which can be committed by companies. These offences can include bribery and corruption, environmental, waste and nuisance, corporate manslaughter, health and safety, trading standards, animal welfare, pricing and promotions, food labelling, food hygiene and food safety, weights and measures, Coroner’s inquests, product recall and product safety.
Charles has expertise in all sectors but in particular retail, food and drink, hospitality and leisure, manufacturing, rail, construction, property and facilities management, automotive, government and defence, mining, transport, warehousing and logistics, and healthcare. Charles also and acts for individuals as well as many well-known global and high street businesses.
Acutely sensitive to reputational risk/brand protection issues, Charles routinely acts on high profile matters and is ranked both locally and nationally over many years. Charles is a regular speaker at seminars and events, a provider of bespoke training for clients and umbrella bodies, a writer of articles on various subjects within his expertise and a reviewing editor of leading textbook Consumer and Trading Standards: Law and Practice.
Charles trained at Pinsent and Co London and Birmingham and qualified in 1994.
June 2016 to date – Partner, Shoosmiths LLP
May 2005 to June 2016 – Partner, DLA Piper UK LLP
July 2003 to May 2005 – Senior Associate, DLA Piper UK LLP
September 1997 to July 2003 – Senior Associate, Pinsent Curtis Biddle
September 1994 to September 1997 – Assistant Solicitor, Pinsent Curtis
September 1992 to September 1994 – Trainee Solicitor, Pinsent and Co
The Law Society
Birmingham Law Society
International Bar Association
Middlesex County Cricket Club
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
The Java Far East Prisoners of War Club
Helmdon” and “The Intangibles Cricket Clubs
Uppingham School, Uppingham, Rutland
University of Nottingham and Nottingham Law School: BA (hons) Law with History and Social Anthropology (1991) and Law Society Finals (1992)
South East > Human resources > Health and safety(Leading individuals)
Shoosmiths LLP is best known for its top tier expertise in assisting with non-contentious health and safety issues as well as undertaking defence and prosecution work. ‘A star in this area of law‘ Charles Arrand advises corporations on regulations, investigations, prosecutions and other enforcement actions. Specialist compliance and criminal defence lawyer, Philip Ryan maintains a varied client base in the automotive, construction, consumer goods, retail, manufacturing, and life sciences sectors.
South East > Real estate > Environment
Shoosmiths LLP has a sizeable team in the South East, and is also able to leverage the expertise of a wider national group, which puts it on a strong footing to undertake the full range of contentious and non-contentious environmental matters. Its clients include household names in the property development, retail and automotive industries. The ‘excellent‘ group assists clients with environmental due diligence, compliance with environmental regulations and both civil and criminal environmental proceedings. Team head Charles Arrand is an expert in enforcement actions. Senior associate Joanne Sear is also recommended.
London > Human resources > Health and safety(Leading individuals)
Shoosmiths LLP‘s team covers the entire spectrum of health and safety work, primarily acting for large international companies. Birmingham-based Roy Tozer leads the team and is particularly active in the oil and gas and construction sectors. Also based in Birmingham is Hayley Saunders, who acts for both companies and individuals on investigations, prosecutions and compliance matters. Another key figure is the ‘exceptional’ Charles Arrand, who is based in Milton Keynes and operates primarily in the retail, food and beverage and hospitality sectors.
London > Insurance > Product liability: defendant
Shoosmiths LLP‘s team handles compliance and non-contentious matters; regulatory enforcement, investigation and prosecution; and product recalls and any resulting civil disputes. The department, which is led by Birmingham-based Alex Bishop and Roy Tozer, acts for manufacturers and retailers from a variety of sectors, with noteworthy experience in the automotive space. Other names to note are Philip Ryan and Paul Eccles in the Thames Valley office, Charles Arrand in Milton Keynes and senior associate Richard Marshall, who is based in Manchester.
- Health and safety - South East > Human resources
- Leading individuals - South East > Human resources > Health and safety
- Environment - South East > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Commercial property: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Commercial property: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Hampshire
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Human resources > Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Human resources > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Real estate > Planning
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Hampshire
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Human resources > Employment: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Human resources > Employment: Hampshire
- Real estate > Environment
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Commercial property: Hampshire
- Private client > Family: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Hampshire
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40