Dan Stowers > Shoosmiths LLP > Leeds, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
New Station Street
- Go to...
Dan has spent the vast majority of his 22 year career as a serious and complex fraud practitioner acting in some of the most document heavy and complex fraud cases in the Country many of which have been multi-jurisdictional in nature. He represents individuals, corporates, partnerships and charities.
He has acted in all types of financial crime cases from investigation through to prosecution including many matters investigated and prosecuted by the Serious Fraud Office, Financial Conduct Authority, CPS, HMRC and other regulators including those with parallel regulatory and linked financial, confiscation and restraint matters.
In the summer of 2019, Dan secured the first ever acquittal of a Managing Director of a steel tech company prosecuted by the Serious Fraud Office for bribery and corruption in the UK’s first prosecution of individuals following the second ever deferred prosecution agreement being reached with the corporate Sarclad Ltd otherwise known as XYZ Ltd.
In 2015 he became an Accredited Counter Fraud Specialist having been trained by City of London Police Economic Crime Academy and has advised organisations and individuals in respect of compliance (including anti-money laundering, bribery& corruption and the Criminal Finances Act 2017) and counter fraud as well as having experience of internal investigations.
Notable cases include
- The current SFO investigation into TATA Speciality steel
- The current SFO investigation into AMEC Foster Wheeler Energy
- The SFO case arising from the investigation into the Anglo-American Group;
- The SFO Miners Compensation Fund investigation;
- The SFO case arising from the collapse of the menswear group Ciro Citerrio;
- The SFO investigation involving Lord Davenport and Gresham Ltd;
- The SFO prosecution of individuals in the Duckers Furniture Ltd asset stripping case;
- The SFO prosecution involving the collapse and asset stripping of Uno Shopfitting Ltd, Wavetown Ltd and Abbotts Wholesale (Tobacconists and Confectioners) Ltd
- The SFO prosecution of individuals in the Prudential Commercial case
Yorkshire and the Humber > Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
White-collar crime is a relatively new area of work for Shoosmiths LLP‘s Leeds practice, which has established itself in the region under the ‘dynamic‘ leadership of Dan Stowers after opening a base in the city in late 2016. The team primarily handles investigations and prosecutions for a client roster spanning individuals, corporates, partnerships and charities; it also has a substantial non-contentious corporate advisory element. Roy Tozer focuses on regulatory breaches.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Projects, energy and natural resources (including PFI) > Energy
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Insurance > Professional negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire