Roger Potgieter > Shoosmiths LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
2 COLMORE SQUARE
38 COLMORE CIRCUS QUEENSWAY
- Go to...
Partner, Asset Finance (within Recoveries Services Group).
Roger is a Partner in the firm’s award-winning Asset Finance team. He assists and advises motor finance lenders, leasing companies and banks on the recovery of financed assets and on general litigation matters. He has more than 20 years of relevant experience, having started his career working in-house at GMAC before qualifying as a solicitor.
Roger is actively involved with the Finance and Leasing Association. He regularly speaks at FLA conferences and events, delivers Asset Finance Fraud training to FLA members, attends a range of committee meetings, and has assisted with the preparation of papers on topics such motor vehicle conversion fraud, and sub-leasing fraud. He is also active within the British Vehicle Renting and Leasing Association and in November 2015 he was invited to speak on Leasing Fraud at the Leaseurope conference in Brussels.
Roger frequently advises lenders on the following:
- Title disputes, including dual financing
- Innocent Purchaser claims under the Hire Purchase Act
- Disputes relating to the satisfactory quality of financed goods
- Technical Consumer Credit Act disputes
- Claims against Guarantors
- Financial Ombudsman investigations
- Fraud investigations and recovery
Shoosmith’s Asset Finance team is widely recognised as industry leaders in their field and is proud to have recently won the following awards:
- Leasing Life Asset Finance Legal Provider of the Year 2014, 2017
- Motor Finance Europe Legal Provider of the Year 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Credit Strategy Car Finance Legal Team of the Year 2016, 2017
- Leasing World Asset Finance Legal Team of the Year 2016, 2018
Trained at Lester Aldridge, qualified 2002. Trained at Lester Aldridge and remained there until 2 years PQE; joined Shoosmiths in 2004 and stayed for 7 years during which he progressed to associate and then on to partner in 2010; joined Cobbetts LLP as a partner in September 2011 heading up the asset finance practice; transferred to DWF LLP as a partner as part of their acquisition ofCobbetts LLP in February 2013; returned to Shoosmiths in March 2015 as partner in the asset finance team.
University of Cape Town (South Africa); College of Law (London) BA (1990); LLB (1994).
Sports fan, particularly rugby and cricket. Roger participates in cricket, plus some road running and cycling, although most of his spare time these days is spent with his children (currently aged 4 and 6).
Shoosmiths LLP‘s Birmingham team is a core part of the firm’s highly regarded UK-wide operation, which advises on asset-based lending litigation and recoveries, consumer finance litigation and recoveries and commercial recoveries, among other areas. The main contact in Birmingham is Roger Potgieter, who leads a team handling high-value, complex and disputed cases for asset finance, motor finance, marine finance, banking and leasing clients. Potgieter is particularly experienced in recoveries involving a fraud component, as well as particularly technical matters connected with the Consumer Credit Act.
Shoosmiths LLP‘s disputes practice attracts praise from clients for providing ‘magic circle quality at regional prices‘ and excels in general commercial litigation, cyber breach matters and phone hacking disputes. The group also has a growing international arbitration practice, for which ‘exceptional‘ practice head Alex Bishop is a key contact. Bishop is also an experienced litigator and counts the IT, retail, leisure and manufacturing industries among her sector specialisms. Mark Elder and Roger Potgieter are highlighted for phone hacking litigation and asset-finance disputes respectively, while associate Kate Draper‘s expertise spans corporate and commercial litigation, debt recovery issues and international arbitration.
Shoosmiths LLP‘s litigation services practice is a popular choice for asset finance (particularly relating to motor finance) and misselling disputes. Operating as a national practice, the group is jointly led by Birmingham-based general litigator Alex Bishop and asset-based lending expert Roger Potgieter, Northampton-based Stuart Montgomery and Melanie Chell, and David Farnell and marine and aviation finance partner Elliot Bishop, who are based in Leeds and London respectively.
- Commercial litigation: Birmingham - West Midlands > Dispute resolution
- Debt recovery - West Midlands > Dispute resolution
- Banking litigation - West Midlands > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Social housing
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Public sector > Education
- Real estate > Environment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property