Roger Potgieter > Shoosmiths LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
2 COLMORE SQUARE
38 COLMORE CIRCUS QUEENSWAY
- Go to...
Partner, Asset Finance (within Recoveries Services Group).
Roger is a Partner in our Financial Services Disputes and Investigations team. He heads up a team of lawyers dealing with a wide range of asset, motor and consumer finance matters, as well as general banking and insolvency disputes.
A substantial part of Roger’s work involves advising and acting for banks and other lenders defending mis-selling claims, as well as claims under sections 75 and/or 140A of the Consumer Credit Act.
He also acts for leasing companies and motor finance lenders (including banks) on a wide range of contentious issues including:
- Fraud investigation and recovery
- Misrepresentation claims
- Claims relating to satisfactory quality/fitness for purpose of financed goods
- Title disputes (including dual financing)
- “Innocent Purchaser” investigations under the Hire Purchase Act
- Technical Consumer Credit Act disputes
- Claims against guarantors
- Financial Ombudsman investigation
- General recoveries matters
Roger has more than 20 years of relevant experience, having started his career in-house before qualifying as a solicitor and moving into private practice. He is actively involved with various trade bodies including the Finance and Leasing Association, and the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association.
Trained at Lester Aldridge, qualified 2002. Trained at Lester Aldridge and remained there until 2 years PQE; joined Shoosmiths in 2004 and stayed for 7 years during which he progressed to associate and then on to partner in 2010; joined Cobbetts LLP as a partner in September 2011 heading up the asset finance practice; transferred to DWF LLP as a partner as part of their acquisition ofCobbetts LLP in February 2013; returned to Shoosmiths in March 2015 as partner in the asset finance team.
University of Cape Town (South Africa); College of Law (London) BA (1990); LLB (1994).
Sports fan, particularly rugby and cricket. Roger participates in cricket, plus some road running and cycling, although most of his spare time these days is spent with his children (currently aged 4 and 6).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The financial services disputes and investigations practice at Shoosmiths LLP is known for its experience in contentious matters such as fraud, contested recoveries and title disputes. Roger Potgieter leads the team and works closely with a number of major trade bodies. Associate Jordon Bray is particularly experienced in asset, motor and consumer finance litigation. Principal associate Charlotte Healey has over a decade of experience in contentious litigation and is well regarded among asset and motor finance clients.
- Leading individuals - West Midlands > Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Banking litigation - West Midlands > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Employment > Pensions
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant