Phil Barnes > Shoosmiths LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
2 COLMORE SQUARE
38 COLMORE CIRCUS QUEENSWAY
- Go to...
Phil is the National Head of the 50 strong Shoosmiths Medical Negligence team.
He has specialised in representing claimants in clinical negligence claims for 19 years.
As an experienced litigator he has dealt with a wide range of complex and high value claims throughout his career, including neurological injury, child birth trauma, amputations, group actions involving intraocular lens implants, surgical errors, misdiagnosis and fatal claims. He has a specialist interest in infection and sepsis cases.
Phil regularly appears as an advocate before Coroners and has been involved in a number of high profile inquests.
Trained Hugh James Solicitors: qualified 2000, solicitor Hugh James 200 to 2005; solicitor Anthony Collins 2005-2007; associate Anthony Collins 2007 to 2009: associate Shoosmiths 2009 to 2011; partner Shoosmiths 2011.
Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).
2:1 LLB (Hons) (University of Wales – Cardiff). Legal Practice Course – Commendation (College of Law, Chester 1997).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Shoosmiths LLP has a large, experienced and well-established clinical negligence team under the leadership of the ‘very impressive’ Phil Barnes. It has a varied case load of high-value and complex claims with particular expertise in birth and spinal injuries as well as amputations. It also deals with fatal claims and associated secondary victim claims and represents its clients at inquests. Kashmir Uppal has particular expertise in dealing with claims against ‘rogue surgeons’ and managing multi-party actions. Nicholas Tubb is vastly experienced in surgical errors, spinal and brain injuries as well as complex birth injury cases. London-based Richard Follis is also recommended. Principal associate Richard Bannister works on a range of complex cases and is an accredited CEDR mediator. The personal injury team works closely with its clinical negligence team. Head of team Chris McKinney specialises in spinal and brain injury cases as well as amputation claims and is developing a reputation for his work on claims involving novel areas of personal injury law. Senior associate Kate Price-Marson frequently helps claimants where the defendant cannot be traced or there is a company that is no longer trading.
- Leading individuals - West Midlands > Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant - West Midlands > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Public sector > Education
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant