Paul Knight > Shoosmiths LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
2 COLMORE SQUARE
38 COLMORE CIRCUS QUEENSWAY
- Go to...
Real estate litigation
Paul is a partner and head of the Birmingham property litigation team.
Paul acts for developers, investors, corporate occupiers and landlords of property in a whole range of contentious property issues. Paul advises in claims to possession of land, litigation concerning applications for landlord’s consents, break notices, rent review and the renewal of business tenancies. Paul also regularly advises on issues effecting property which arise from insolvency and in relation to licensed premises.
Paul focuses on advising clients early in a transaction, with the aim of preventing a potential dispute from escalating to court. He has represented many clients at without prejudice meetings and mediations. Paul’s approach is to work with a client to identify the issues early on and set a clear course for dealing with those issues.
His recent project experience includes:
- arranging service of over 80 price notices under options which will form a substantial residential development;
- representing a client in a multi-million pound dilapidations claim; and
- advising in relation to a landlord’s rights to develop adjoining land of a large tenanted shopping centre.
Paul has 30 years’ experience of property litigation having worked at Wragge & Co., Clarke Willmott and now at Shoosmiths since May 2012. Paul is a member of the Property Litigation Association.
French (working knowledge!).
Property Litigation Association, Law Society, Birmingham; Birmingham Law Society (council member).
Garth High School, Morden; Sussex University (BA Law 2:1 (Hons)), College of Law Chester
Old Halesonians RFC, food and wine with friends, four children!
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Boasting a ‘very commercial and agile team’, Shoosmiths LLP’s Birmingham practice is led locally by Kate McCall and is also home to the firm’s national head for real estate disputes, Nicholas Shepherd; the pair focus on commercial development, corporate occupier, investor and portfolio management-related disputes and the team also includes Paul Knight whose caseload spans overage, dilapidations, land promotion agreement and joint-venture-related disputes. Beyond partner-level, Elinor Sandbach is a specialist in agriculture and landlord and tenant disputes while Richard Willcox focuses on the Electronics Communications Code, a front on which the firm is noted for its ‘very strong knowledge’.
At Shoosmiths LLP, the team covers all facets of social housing mandates from single unit and major development site transactions, housing and portfolio management and funding matters through to corporate, commercial and employment affairs and regulatory and enforcement investigations. Practice head David Perry is a residential and mixed-use development specialist with a prominent track record in long-term strategic land schemes; he is supported by planning expert, Anna Cartledge, as well as Paul Knight who is the key contact for contentious issues.
- Leading individuals - West Midlands > Real estate > Property litigation
- Property litigation - West Midlands > Real estate
- Social housing - West Midlands > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Public sector > Education
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant