Andrew Brennan > Shoosmiths LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
2 COLMORE SQUARE
38 COLMORE CIRCUS QUEENSWAY
- Go to...
Andrew heads Shoosmiths’ 20 strong national IP team. He is recognised as a leading intellectual property lawyer who “knows his IP” and “provides solid, targeted and fast advice”.
Clients find him approachable, pragmatic, agile and very user-friendly.
Andrew’s practice covers all areas of intellectual property law, with a particular focus on the technology, engineering and consumer brand sectors. He works for global tech companies and household brands through to pioneering SME’s and disruptive start-ups.
Passionate about innovation, Andrew is recognised for his excellence in handling complex disputes with a technical element involving patents, confidential information and software. He also helps technology clients in relation to their strategic R&D programmes and specialised IP commercialisation arrangements.
Andrew’s experience covers a range of technologies, including oil and gas well perforation, various waste to energy processes, robotics, photonic printing, supercontinuum lasers, friction stir welding, graphene filtration, sealed grafts, stroke detection equipment, autonomous vehicles, software and many more.
In the consumer brand space, Andrew has handled countless trade mark and design disputes and licensing deals on behalf of well-known and up and coming brands.
Recent work examples include:
- conducting multi-jurisdictional patent dispute regarding reactive shaped charges on behalf of global designer and manufacturer of gas and oil well perforating equipment;
- advising on patent and know-how licence dispute between two global engineering companies;
- handling international patent licensing programme on behalf of global photonic printing company;
- advising on complex pre-clinical and clinical milestone co-development and patent licensing agreement on behalf of US life sciences company;
- working as part of an international team to help one of the world’s largest vodka manufacturers enforce and protect a key trade mark; and
- advising numerous well known cycle brands in relation to brand protection, enforcement and licensing matters.
Andrew trained and qualified with DLA Piper. He was a partner at another national law firm before joining Shoosmiths as a partner in 2015.
Praxis Unico, Midlands Intellectual Property Society.
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys; Oxford University – post graduate diploma in intellectual property law; Leeds University – law.
Cycling, golf, family.
West Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property(Next Generation Partners)
The ‘thorough and extremely capable‘ team at Shoosmiths LLP has particular expertise in the technology, life sciences and education sectors. Led by the ‘level-headed‘ and ‘well-rounded‘ Andrew Brennan, who specialises in handling complex contentious issues, often with an international element, the firm has a strong client base of universities, consumer goods providers and technology powerhouses. Legal director Lisa Page, who has a background in the pharmaceutical industry, leads the pharma and life sciences practice. The practice was boosted by the hire of Victoria Bentley from Pinsent Masons in early 2019. Legal director Nichola Jenkins has ‘impressive knowledge‘, while associate Imogen Francis is ‘very quick to understand complex situations‘.
West Midlands > Public sector > Education
Shoosmiths LLP advises schools and universities on transactions involving land and property, development matters, research and technology contracts and IP agreements. Another mainstay of the practice is acting for individuals on student placement and negotiation of full support for children with special needs, often under the leadership of solicitor Gurvinder Samra. Other key members of the practice are property and development expert Bhavesh Amlani and Andrew Brennan, who handles work in the innovation and technology sector.
London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Brand management
Shoosmiths LLP‘s national full-service practice combines IP brand management and multi-jurisdictional trade mark, copyright and design dispute work with commercialisation through joint ventures, licensing and franchising. Key figures include the department co-heads, Manchester-based trade mark attorney Rachel Nicholls and Gary Assim, an expert in trade marks and designs within the retail industry. Andrew Brennan leads the national IP practice from Birmingham.
- Next Generation Partners - West Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Education - West Midlands > Public sector
- Intellectual property - West Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Human resources > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Human resources > Employment
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Public sector > Education
- Real estate > Environment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Social housing
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant