Phil Barnes > Shoosmiths LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
2 COLMORE SQUARE
38 COLMORE CIRCUS QUEENSWAY
- Go to...
Phil is the National Head of the 50 strong Shoosmiths Medical Negligence team.
He has specialised in representing claimants in clinical negligence claims for 19 years.
As an experienced litigator he has dealt with a wide range of complex and high value claims throughout his career, including neurological injury, child birth trauma, amputations, group actions involving intraocular lens implants, surgical errors, misdiagnosis and fatal claims. He has a specialist interest in infection and sepsis cases.
Phil regularly appears as an advocate before Coroners and has been involved in a number of high profile inquests.
Trained Hugh James Solicitors: qualified 2000, solicitor Hugh James 200 to 2005; solicitor Anthony Collins 2005-2007; associate Anthony Collins 2007 to 2009: associate Shoosmiths 2009 to 2011; partner Shoosmiths 2011.
Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).
2:1 LLB (Hons) (University of Wales – Cardiff). Legal Practice Course – Commendation (College of Law, Chester 1997).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The ‘exceptionally strong’ clinical negligence team at Shoosmiths LLP is led by Phil Barnes , ‘a great tactician‘, who is also described as a ‘tenacious lawyer who will leave no stone unturned for his client’. The team regularly advises on a variety of high-value and complex cases involving birth injury, brain injury, spinal injury and amputations and is also adept at handling fatal claims, secondary victim claims and also represents clients at inquests. Kashmir Uppal is experienced in dealing with claims against rogue surgeons and managing multi-party actions. Nicholas Tubb is known for his work on spinal and brain injuries, as well as complex birth injury cases and surgical errors. Under the leadership of Chris McKinney , the personal injury team is well-regarded for its work on various serious and life-changing injuries. Such claims include complex pain and severe burns cases as well as serious psychological trauma and industrial disease claims. Senior associate Kate Price-Marson has particular expertise in helping claimants in cases where the defendant cannot be traced or a company is no longer trading.
- Leading individuals - West Midlands > Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant - West Midlands > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant