Natasha Read > Shoosmiths LLP > Birmingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
2 COLMORE SQUARE
38 COLMORE CIRCUS QUEENSWAY
- Go to...
Medical Negligence, Personal injury, Serious Injury
Natasha is a Senior Associate Solicitor in the Medical Negligence department at Shoosmiths. She qualified as a solicitor in clinical negligence in September 2009 and then joined Blakemores Solicitors in Birmingham in November 2011. Natasha then took the post of solicitor in the clinical negligence department at Shoosmiths in May 2012.
Natasha has a varied caseload including serious injury claims against NHS trusts, private hospitals/practitioners and General Practitioners. She has experience of cases including spinal injury, neurological injury, surgical error, fatal claims, birth injury, dental claims and gynaecological injury. Natasha has particular experience in claims relating to eye injuries associated with infection, cataract surgery and laser eye surgery. She represents adults and children and acts on behalf of claimants only. She also has experience of assisting clients during the inquest process and representing families in the Coroners’ Courts throughout the country.
Natasha has experience in judicial review and public law claims and the reporting of practitioners to their various regulatory bodies.
Work highlights include:
- acting on behalf of a high flying racehorse vet who was unable to return to her previous employment or follow her intended career path due to alleged negligent anterior cruciate ligament (knee) surgery;
- acting on behalf of a widow during a four day long inquest at Birmingham Coroners court. This was a very tragic case where a vulnerable man was allowed to escape from a psychiatric ward and died from his injuries after falling from the hospital roof. A jury found that the hospital’s neglect had contributed to his death. Following this, Natasha brought a civil claim on behalf of the widow who received a substantial sum in compensation; and
- assisting in bringing a claim in clinical negligence on behalf of a 28 year old former professional photographer and mother of three. The Claimant suffered a cauda equina (spinal) injury resulting in significant disability and inability to return to her professional photography work. The claimant was awarded a seven figure sum in compensation at trial.Natasha assisted in bringing a claim in clinical negligence on behalf of a 35 year old lower limb amputee which ultimately settled for a seven figure sum.
Natasha also successfully appealed a decision made by a Primary Care Trust in refusing to provide funding for a cosmetic surgery procedure which was medically required.
Natasha studied Law at Warwick University and gained a 2:1 LL.B. with honours in 2006. Immediately after finishing university she studied the Legal Practice Course at Birmingham College of Law and achieved a Commendation in 2007. She then commenced a training contract with a Lanyon Bowdler in September 2007. During her training contract she spent two 6 month seats in the clinical negligence department and a seat in the criminal and corporate/commercial departments.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Environment
- Employment > Health and safety
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Birmingham
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Birmingham
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family: Birmingham
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Birmingham
- Public sector > Education
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Social housing
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant