Steve Barnett > Shoosmiths LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
No 1 Bow Churchyard
- Go to...
Steve is a partner in the corporate team at Shoosmiths specialising in advising companies and investors on venture and growth capital investments, mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions, mainly in the technology sector.
Prior to joining Shoosmiths in March 2017 Steve was a member of the Technology Companies Group in the London office of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe, where he regularly completed 20 – 30 investment and other transactions per annum.
- Acting for a money transfer service provider on its series A and series B investment rounds which raised around $140m in aggregate.
- Acting for a machine learning company on its significant series A investment round.
- Acting for a company in the online advertising sector on its series seed and series A investment rounds.
- Acting for a US-headquartered fintech impact investor on various investment rounds.
- Acting for a UK-focussed institutional seed investor on various investment rounds.
- Acting on numerous angel investment rounds.
- Acting for a cloud services provider on its sale to private equity.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Able to provide ‘high-quality advice based on their comprehensive knowledge of market norms’, Shoosmiths LLP remains visible in the market among a slew of very active investors, including Gresham House Ventures and Octopus Ventures. Birmingham-based team head Alastair Peet has been pivotal to the success of the team as a whole, effectively knitting together expertise across key regions, including the Midlands, Thames Valley and London, as well as successfully implementing cost-efficient document automation, which has proved particularly useful for volume investors, including Octopus Ventures. Also based in Birmingham, Alistair Hammerton is gaining significant traction among an investor-focused client base and is appreciated for his ability to provide ‘concise and accurate advice‘. ‘Methodical and balanced’ in his approach, London-based partner Steve Barnett provides ‘commercial and pragmatic’ advice and continues to grow the firm’s company side credentials. Other key members of the national team include corporate partner Sanjeev Sharma, whose work encompasses a significant amount of venture capital mandates and tax partner Tom Wilde, who is ‘a standout individual for his knowledge of the EIS and VCT rules’. Helen Burnell, who leads the firm’s spHERe initiative to support female founders and venture capitalists, was recently promoted to partner.
- Leading individuals - London > Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Venture capital - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Transport > Rail
- Employment > Health and safety
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Private client > Court of protection
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Finance > Asset based lending
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Dispute resolution > Costs lawyers
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Insurance > Product liability: defendant
- Industry focus > TMT
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Employment > Employee share schemes
- Real estate > Environment
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Real estate > Planning
- Employment > Pensions: dispute resolution
- Transport > Shipping
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Real estate > Property finance
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Employment > Employers
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax