Susie Wakefield > Shoosmiths LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
No 1 Bow Churchyard
- Go to...
Susie Wakefield is head of commercial insurance and specialises in commercial litigation, arbitration and (re)insurance. She also advises clients in the energy and commodities sectors and has represented clients in complex, multimillion-dollar disputes with multijurisdictional aspects. Susie has practised in New York, Bermuda and London and has advised clients in litigation in federal and state courts in NY, the Supreme Court of Bermuda, and the High Court. Susie has also handled disputes under the Arbitration Act 1996, the Federal Arbitration Act, the Bermuda International Conciliation and Arbitration Act 1993 and the UNCITRAL Model Law as well as ad hoc arbitrations and under various institutional rules in the UK, Europe, and the US.
Susie advises on a broad array of claims and coverage disputes, including issues arising in connection with Bermuda Form policies and reinsurance arrangements involving captives and segregated account companies. She has advised on complex policy wording reviews; significant P&C losses; claims involving allegations of fraud, misrepresentation and nondisclosure; breach of warranty claims; claims for contribution from co-insurers; and insolvency-related matters. Her work spans many lines of risk including: CGL, property, business interruption, construction, energy, space, marine cargo, financial lines including D&O, E&O/PI, financial institutions PI, pensions trustees liability, POSI and liability including product liability, product recall, public liability, employers’ liability, IT, media, IP, and cyber.
Susie qualified in the UK in 1997, New York (2003) and Bermuda (2008).
Susie co-authored the ‘Lloyd’s and London Market’ chapter of volume seven of the New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, 2012.
Susie is ranked in both Chambers UK and Chambers Global 2021 where she is described as “very responsive, detailed and picks up on issues quickly” and “really enjoyable to work with-clients are better for having her involved”. Susie is listed in the International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers and Women in Business Law.
Susie joined Shoosmiths in 2017 from Taylor Wessing LLP where she was a partner in the disputes & investigations team and head of insurance (London). She practised at LeBoeuf in New York for 7 years
Providing ‘first-rate skills at every level‘, Shoosmiths LLP‘s disputes offering covers corporate litigation, technology disputes, cyber incident-related matters, coverage claims, banking disputes, and marine and aviation litigation. Corporate and commercial disputes expert Bill Molloy has ‘strong knowledge of tech disputes‘; Susie Wakefield leads the commercial insurance team; and Philip Tansley heads the cyber incident response practice. Other active litigators are ‘standout partner‘ Elliot Bishop and experienced senior associate Matthew MacLachlan. Birmingham-based Alex Bishop is national dispute resolution and litigation head, while Daren Allen joined the London team in September 2021 from Dentons, where he was business crime and investigations head.
Shoosmiths LLP‘s practice is led by the triple-qualified (England, New York and Bermuda) Susie Wakefield, who has extensive expertise advising direct insurers, excess carriers, reinsurers and Lloyd’s coverholders as well as intermediaries and policyholders. Other key figures include partner Philip Tansley and principle associate Matthew Brown. Elliot Bishop continues to lead the luxury asset group.
- Commercial litigation: mid-market - London > Dispute resolution
- Insurance and reinsurance litigation - London > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Transport > Rail
- Employment > Health and safety
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Private client > Court of protection
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Finance > Asset based lending
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Dispute resolution > Costs lawyers
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Insurance > Product liability: defendant
- Industry focus > TMT
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Employment > Employee share schemes
- Real estate > Environment
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Real estate > Planning
- Employment > Pensions: dispute resolution
- Transport > Shipping
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Real estate > Property finance
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Employment > Employers
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax