Philip Tansley > Shoosmiths LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
No 1 Bow Churchyard
- Go to...
Commercial Litigation, Partner
Philip Tansley is a specialist in cyber incident response and associated issues. He has extensive experience of advising clients in multiple sectors including technology, media, retail, professional services and financial services on the management of cyber security incidents and their aftermath.
Particular areas of specialism include:
- crisis and reputation management (particularly the co-ordination of multidisciplinary incident response teams);
- advice on GDPR compliance and obligations under associated regulatory regimes such as the FCA conduct rules, various professional regulations and the PCI DSS;
- regulatory investigations arising from cyber security and other data incidents; and
- follow on litigation from data subjects and commercial counterparties.
Philip also has extensive experience representing suppliers and customers in technology litigation including advising on issues such as project delays, termination claims, warrant claims, software licensing disputes and technology outsourcing issues. He is experienced in High Court and TCC litigation and national and international arbitration under the LCIA, ICC and ARIAS rules.
Before specialising in cyber and tech, Philip started his career as an insurance litigator and continues to act for London Market and international insurance and reinsurer clients in a variety of complex coverage disputes, many of which are technology and cyber related.
Shoosmiths LLP‘s ‘highly talented‘ group acts for clients in complex shareholder disputes, as well as cases involving breaches of contracts, fraud and misrepresentation, negligence and other tortious claims. Other drivers of work include post-M&A claims and injunctive relief actions. Bill Molloy‘s practice includes multijurisdictional matters related to TMT, engineering, banking/finance and life sciences. Commercial insurance head Susie Wakefield and contentious technology specialist Philip Tansley are also recommended. Alex Bishop in Birmingham is the national head of dispute resolution and litigation.
Shoosmiths LLP’s national insurance practice acts for insurers in a range of disputes including D&O, property damage, cyber insurance and business interruption claims. Based in London, Susie Wakefield heads up the practice and has experience in multijurisdictional insurance coverage disputes, while Philip Tansley has a particular focus on cyber and product liability litigation . Reading-based Paul Eccles and Manchester-based Richard Marshall are also key contacts in the team.
- Commercial litigation: mid-market - London > Dispute resolution
- Insurance and reinsurance litigation - London > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Health and safety
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Finance > Asset based lending
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Private client > Court of protection
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Insurance > Product liability: defendant
- Industry focus > TMT
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Employment > Employee share schemes
- Real estate > Environment
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Real estate > Planning
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Employment > Pensions: dispute resolution
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Real estate > Property finance
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition