Paula Swain > Shoosmiths LLP > Southampton, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
RUSSELL HOUSE, 1550 PARKWAY
SOLENT BUSINESS PARK, WHITELEY
- Go to...
Recoveries Services Group
Paula heads Shoosmiths’ national business to business (B2B) debt recovery team, which last year recovered more than £10million for clients across the UK.
A commercial litigator, she regularly advises creditor companies on their finance and business disputes. She is accustomed to handling disputes around guarantees and indemnities, complex asset recoveries, breach of warranty and fraud claims, as well as managing cases for clients where there might be branding issues or concerns about the potential for adverse publicity.
In mediation scenarios, she has regularly acted as a supporting advisor and advocate for her clients at mediation.
Paula is also head of the firm’s Solent office and is responsible for the firm’s contribution to, and profile within, the local business community. In 2018, she was elected a director of the Solent local economic partnership (LEP).
She joined Shoosmiths as a partner in 2016.
Trained at Lester Aldridge LLP and qualified in 2000 – made partner in present firm in 2016.
Contributing author to ‘Westlaw UK Insights’ and the chapter headed ‘Consumer credit agreements: default and termination’.
St Bartholomew’s School, Newbury and University of Southampton (degrees and qualifications with years attained): 1993-1996 LLB Hons (2:1)
Shoosmiths LLP‘ Northampton debt recovery team predominantly advises and represents creditors, including large banks and building societies, in relation to consumer mortgages and unsecured loans, commercial and corporate secured loans and asset based lending. Mel Chell focuses on asset and motor finance litigation, with specialisms in fraud and injunctive relief proceedings. The ‘calm and reliable’ Jim Taylor leads the firm’s consumer finance litigation and recoveries team, working closely with clients to put in place debt recovery strategies that are commercially successful. Paula Swain is also recommended.
Shoosmiths‘ Southampton litigation team continues to develop its specialisms in the automotive, IT and technology sectors on both the supplier and customer side. Jonathan Smart, who leads the practice, is an expert in high value IT project disputes arising from outsourcing and framework agreements, while Paula Swain is a specialist consumer finance litigator. The Solent-based team also have a growing niche practice in high value international civil fraud and conspiracy cases.
The debt recovery team at Shoosmiths LLP, which is overseen by disputes practitioner Paula Swain, has a focus on trade recoveries, and is also known for its expert handling of insolvency and for employing specialist lawyers for each debt ‘type’. The practice, which has particular capacity for cross-jurisdictional work, also covers matters such as: early arrears, litigation, monitoring services and professional negligence. Richard Lester is recommended for his work in the utilities, retail and medical sectors.
The group at Shoosmiths LLP sits within the risk and litigation services department, handling UK-wide debt recovery work. This is a full-service offering, meaning the team handles pre-legal collections in addition to litigation and enforcement. Other areas of expertise include providing advice on arrears management, recoveries negotiations, litigation and monitoring of debt recovery agreements. Paula Swain heads the commercial recoveries team, handling debts arising from commercial disputes. Jim Taylor leads the consumer finance litigation and recoveries department, assisting lenders and debt purchasers, while Melanie Chell is responsible for the motor and asset finance recoveries service.
- Commercial litigation: Hampshire - South East > Dispute resolution
- Debt recovery - South East > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Hampshire
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Commercial property: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Commercial property: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Hampshire
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Environment and planning
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Hampshire
- Employment > Employment: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Employment > Employment: Hampshire
- Private client > Family: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40