Paula Swain > Shoosmiths LLP > Southampton, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
RUSSELL HOUSE, 1550 PARKWAY
SOLENT BUSINESS PARK, WHITELEY
- Go to...
Recoveries Services Group
Paula heads Shoosmiths’ national business to business (B2B) debt recovery team, which last year recovered more than £10million for clients across the UK.
A commercial litigator, she regularly advises creditor companies on their finance and business disputes. She is accustomed to handling disputes around guarantees and indemnities, complex asset recoveries, breach of warranty and fraud claims, as well as managing cases for clients where there might be branding issues or concerns about the potential for adverse publicity.
In mediation scenarios, she has regularly acted as a supporting advisor and advocate for her clients at mediation.
Paula is also head of the firm’s Solent office and is responsible for the firm’s contribution to, and profile within, the local business community. In 2018, she was elected a director of the Solent local economic partnership (LEP).
She joined Shoosmiths as a partner in 2016.
Trained at Lester Aldridge LLP and qualified in 2000 – made partner in present firm in 2016.
Contributing author to ‘Westlaw UK Insights’ and the chapter headed ‘Consumer credit agreements: default and termination’.
St Bartholomew’s School, Newbury and University of Southampton (degrees and qualifications with years attained): 1993-1996 LLB Hons (2:1)
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Shoosmiths LLP offers a multi-disciplinary team and specialises in the recovery of commercial debt, utilising its ‘broad spectrum of talent‘. National clients including national utility companies instruct the team, which deploys specialist lawyers for each debt type. Commended for its ‘unique approach to maintaining relationships with debtors’, the group’s ability to provide a cradle to grave service stands out. Solent-based practice head Paula Swain also heads up the wider business to business debt recovery team nationally.
Shoosmiths LLP‘s dispute resolution and litigation team draws on the firm’s bank of experienced lawyers to act for major brand-name clients in sectors spanning from the retail and leisure industries to the food, hospitality and education arenas, with particularly notable expertise in the automotive and technology industries. The team is led by Jonathan Smart, who is highly recommended for his ability to handle complex cases and navigate media attention, especially for clients in the IT sector. Paula Swain is a specialist consumer finance litigator, known for her in-depth knowledge of consumer credit law, while Shelley White handles asset-based finance litigation and recovery issues, with additional experience in contentious insolvencies. Luke Coleborn is noted for his broad corporate litigation practice, which includes handling partnership and shareholder disputes, breach of warranty claims, breach of contract matters and product liability work.
At Shoosmiths LLP, the national debt recoveries practice is led by Paula Swain based in the Solent office – it manages complex asset recoveries, fraud claims as well as pre-collection litigation for clients operating in the utilities, technology and financial services sectors. The firm has a joint venture business, Equivo, working alongside national recoveries and enforcement business, Chartsbridge from bases in London, Northampton and Manchester. The team has a tracks record of cases before the County and High Courts and has strong experience in insolvency work. Director of client services at Equivo, Melanie Chell, is the key name for asset-based lending litigation and consumer credit issues.
- Commercial litigation: Hampshire - South East > Dispute resolution
- Debt recovery - South East > Dispute resolution
- Leading individuals - South East > Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Hampshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Commercial property: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Hampshire
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Employment > Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Environment and planning
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Commercial property: Hampshire
- Employment > Employment: Hampshire
- Private client > Family: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx