Philip Ryan > Shoosmiths LLP > Reading, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
- Go to...
Philip is a specialist compliance and criminal defence lawyer advising businesses and individuals on complying with the UK’s increasing regulatory burden. He balances the need for a sensible, calm approach to crisis management against the need to defend clients vigorously in disputes to gain effective outcomes. His experience helps to secure the right solution for clients in short timeframes, minimising cost and negative impact.
Philip advises clients during regulatory investigations be that making representations to the Advertising Standards Authority or in an interview under caution with police or the HSE following a fatal accident. He works in the automotive, construction, FMCG, retail & leisure, tobacco, manufacturing, and life sciences sectors.
Recent examples of his work include:-
- advising several global businesses on responses to investigations into bribery, fraud, criminal offences and disclosures to key regulators;
- securing the acquittal of a senior manager charged with health and safety offences as part of a corporate manslaughter trial following an explosion at a recycling plant;
- representing several companies in the transport industry on investigations by VOSA and during Public Inquiries before the Traffic Commissioner;
- successfully defending 4 different white goods manufacturers in a dozen different investigations by the National Measurement Office regarding energy labelling and efficiency of products;
- advising an international retailer on its response to the horsemeat scandal and dealing with associated contractual issues with suppliers;
- advising a major tobacco company on changes required under plain packaging legislation and the development of e-cigarettes;
- advising companies on compliance with export controls and international trade sanctions;
- advising a number of household brands on product recalls regarding tools, cereals, lamps, plugs and other domestic items; also advising on related product quality frauds in the supply chain; and
- advising a large travel organisation on compliance with Package Holiday, ATOL and ABTA regulations.
Philip is described as a “standout name” in Legal 500 and he heads the ‘excellent team’ in the South East.
Having trained and qualified at DLA Piper, Philip moved from BLP to Shoosmiths’ Thames Valley office in 2008: he was made partner in 2013. He has worked as a prosecutor for HSE and been seconded to the Tesco Store Ops and McDonald’s Legal teams, giving him a genuinely hands-on, commercial approach to regulatory compliance. He is a member of the Food Law Group and the Health and Safety Lawyer’s Association.
HSLA; Food Law Group.
Ampleforth College, York; Manchester University (2000 Lib English Law and French Law (Hons); Nottingham Law School (2001 LPC).
Skiing, rugby, golf, cars, wine and fine food.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Shoosmiths LLP is best known for its top tier expertise in assisting with non-contentious health and safety issues as well as undertaking defence and prosecution work. ‘A star in this area of law‘ Charles Arrand advises corporations on regulations, investigations, prosecutions and other enforcement actions. Specialist compliance and criminal defence lawyer, Philip Ryan maintains a varied client base in the automotive, construction, consumer goods, retail, manufacturing, and life sciences sectors.
Shoosmiths LLP‘s team handles compliance and non-contentious matters; regulatory enforcement, investigation and prosecution; and product recalls and any resulting civil disputes. The department, which is led by Birmingham-based Alex Bishop and Roy Tozer, acts for manufacturers and retailers from a variety of sectors, with noteworthy experience in the automotive space. Other names to note are Philip Ryan and Paul Eccles in the Thames Valley office, Charles Arrand in Milton Keynes and senior associate Richard Marshall, who is based in Manchester.
- Health and safety - South East > Human resources
- Leading individuals - South East > Human resources > Health and safety
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Commercial property: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Commercial property: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Hampshire
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Human resources > Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Human resources > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Real estate > Planning
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Hampshire
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Human resources > Employment: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Human resources > Employment: Hampshire
- Real estate > Environment
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Commercial property: Hampshire
- Private client > Family: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Hampshire
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40