Philip Ryan > Shoosmiths LLP > Reading, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
- Go to...
Philip is a specialist compliance and criminal defence lawyer advising businesses and individuals on complying with the UK’s increasing regulatory burden. He balances the need for a sensible, calm approach to crisis management against the need to defend clients vigorously in disputes to gain effective outcomes. His experience helps to secure the right solution for clients in short timeframes, minimising cost and negative impact.
Philip advises clients during regulatory investigations be that making representations to the Advertising Standards Authority or in an interview under caution with police or the HSE following a fatal accident. He works in the automotive, construction, FMCG, retail & leisure, tobacco, manufacturing, and life sciences sectors.
Recent examples of his work include:-
- advising several global businesses on responses to investigations into bribery, fraud, criminal offences and disclosures to key regulators;
- securing the acquittal of a senior manager charged with health and safety offences as part of a corporate manslaughter trial following an explosion at a recycling plant;
- representing several companies in the transport industry on investigations by VOSA and during Public Inquiries before the Traffic Commissioner;
- successfully defending 4 different white goods manufacturers in a dozen different investigations by the National Measurement Office regarding energy labelling and efficiency of products;
- advising an international retailer on its response to the horsemeat scandal and dealing with associated contractual issues with suppliers;
- advising a major tobacco company on changes required under plain packaging legislation and the development of e-cigarettes;
- advising companies on compliance with export controls and international trade sanctions;
- advising a number of household brands on product recalls regarding tools, cereals, lamps, plugs and other domestic items; also advising on related product quality frauds in the supply chain; and
- advising a large travel organisation on compliance with Package Holiday, ATOL and ABTA regulations.
Philip is described as a “standout name” in Legal 500 and he heads the ‘excellent team’ in the South East.
Having trained and qualified at DLA Piper, Philip moved from BLP to Shoosmiths’ Thames Valley office in 2008: he was made partner in 2013. He has worked as a prosecutor for HSE and been seconded to the Tesco Store Ops and McDonald’s Legal teams, giving him a genuinely hands-on, commercial approach to regulatory compliance. He is a member of the Food Law Group and the Health and Safety Lawyer’s Association.
HSLA; Food Law Group.
Ampleforth College, York; Manchester University (2000 Lib English Law and French Law (Hons); Nottingham Law School (2001 LPC).
Skiing, rugby, golf, cars, wine and fine food.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Part of the firm’s nationwide regulatory team, Shoosmiths LLP‘s South East health and safety team handles the full spectrum of contentions and non-contentious work for its large and varied client base. The South East team is jointly headed by Charles Arrand (Milton Keynes) and Philip Ryan (Reading), and provides advice and support on serious and fatal matters such as work arising from the 2017 Grenfell Tower fire. Arrand advises clients from a variety of sectors on the full range of regulatory crime work, and is especially well-regarded for his sensitivity to reputational harms. Principal associate Joanne Sear, based in the firm’s Thames Valley office, provides general and strategic advice to high-value and prestigious clients. ‘Hardworking and passionate’ associate Rubina Zaidi is also recommended.
Shoosmiths LLP fields two dedicated teams in environment and planning, boasting a sizeable group of specialist lawyers and a strong regional presence. London-based Karen Howard heads the planning team, while the environment offering is led by Charles Arrand in Milton Keynes. On the planning side, the firm has experience in large-scale mixed-use and residential development projects, with Matthew Stimson and Kara Roberts in Milton Keynes and Grace Mitchell and Matthew Price in Solent all key contacts. The Solent team has particular experience in the novel area of nitrate neutrality. In environmental law, Arrand is supported most notably by partner Philip Ryan and principal associate Joanne Sear, and the team advises on matters ranging from compliance with waste management regulations to vehicle production and emissions.
Philip Ryan and Elaine Rayner are the contacts to note at Shoosmiths LLP‘s Northampton-based licensing practice; they advise on the full range of issues relating to the Licensing Act 2003, and support licensed operators with issues such as anti-social behaviour, noise, planning and regulatory matters. Ryan is also well-versed in other licensable activities such as vehicle operation, taxi licensing and music.
The ‘exceptionally knowledgeable’ regulatory, insurance and commercial litigation team at Shoosmiths LLP regularly works on high profile matters involving major disasters, inquests and public inquiries, as well as offering advice on prosecutions, product recall and regulatory compliance. Philip Ryan’s practice places a heavy emphasis on automotive, retail, manufacturing and regulated products, especially tobacco and e-cigarettes. Richard Marshall specialises in representing insured and self-insured entities while Charles Arrand has significant experience acting for retailers.
- Environment and planning - South East > Real estate
- Health and safety - South East > Employment
- Leading individuals - South East > Employment > Health and safety
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Hampshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Real estate > Commercial property: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Hampshire
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Employment > Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Environment and planning
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Commercial property: Hampshire
- Employment > Employment: Hampshire
- Private client > Family: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx