Alexandra Ventham > Shoosmiths LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
THE XYZ BUILDING
2 HARDMAN BOULEVARD, SPINNINGFIELDS
- Go to...
Alexandra has experience of advising employers and trustees of occupational pension and life assurance schemes on all aspects of pensions law, and providing advice in relation to personal pension arrangements, pensions issues on corporate transactions and pensions litigation. Alexandra also has experience of acting as an independent trustee of pension schemes.
Alexandra’s experience includes advising on:
· Employer automatic enrolment obligations.
· The establishment, administration, alteration, closure and winding up of pension schemes.
· The de-risking of occupational pension schemes, including buy-ins, buy-outs and early retirement exercises.
· Legal aspects of scheme funding requirements and putting in place contingent assets (such as company guarantees).
· The pensions aspects of TUPE transfers and share sales, including drafting contractual provisions in relation to corporate transactions, advising on the implications of corporate transactions on occupational pension schemes and personal pension arrangements, and advising on the terms of flexible apportionment arrangements to mitigate the risks of employer debts arising in corporate transactions.
· In the context of acting as an independent trustee of pension schemes, the process of transferring schemes to the Financial Assistance Scheme and the Pension Protection Fund.
· High court pensions litigation, including professional negligence claims against previous pensions advisers and scheme administrators.
· Pensions disputes considered by the Pensions Advisory Service and the Pensions Ombudsman, and preparing formal responses in relation to such disputes.
Alexandra trained and qualified (in September 2012) at City firm Lawrence Graham LLP (now known as Gowling WLG). Prior to joining Shoosmiths in July 2016, Alexandra spent two years in the in-house pensions legal team at British Telecommunications plc
Shoosmiths LLP is active in advising on a broad range of pension law issues, including complex matters requiring negotiations with trustees and trade unions. Buy-ins, winding-up projects, and scheme mergers are all frequently handled by the team; it is also continuing to expand its contentious practice. Paul Carney leads the Manchester-based team, which frequently collaborates with the firm’s other offices around the UK. Associate Alexandra Ventham is another key contact in the team.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Immigration
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Real estate > Construction