Richard Millington > Shoosmiths LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
THE XYZ BUILDING
2 HARDMAN BOULEVARD, SPINNINGFIELDS
- Go to...
Richard is an experienced lawyer who provides counsel on strategic projects across the technology, media and sports sectors. He is listed in The Lawyer Hot 100 2019 for his ground breaking work setting up the practice.
As well advising on some of the sporting world’s biggest deals his experience includes negotiating cross border joint ventures, developing and executing litigation strategies in multiple jurisdictions and working on key outsourcing, telecoms projects, IP exploitation (including content/broadcast rights), sponsorship, distribution and agency arrangements.
Shoosmiths LLP has notably expanded its share of high-value corporate transactional work, advising private equity investors and portfolio companies alongside public companies on major acquisitions and disposals, including several with multiple cross-border elements. The corporate team is headed up by experienced practitioners Andrew Millar and Tim Jackson-Smith, both of whom offer City experience and handle complex transactions and corporate finance deals. Richard Millington and Luke Stubbs head up the commercial practice, specialising in IT and sports matters respectively. Suzanne Taylor has a strong focus on commercial matters in the financial services sector. Associate Kendra McCullough is noted as an up-and-coming corporate practitioner, heavily involved in a number of major transactions.
Shoosmiths LLP advises on transactional IP issues, such as brand licensing and IP transfers, alongside a notable record in sports rights, led by Richard Millington, who specialises in intellectual property rights across the sports and media sectors. Clients include high-profile figures in football and rugby, alongside national corporates.
The arrival of practice head Luke Stubbs from DLA Piper has significantly strengthened Shoosmiths LLP‘s IT offering, with Stubbs bringing particular expertise in fintech and e-commerce issues, including financial services regulatory issues and the establishment of e-commerce platforms. The team also advises clients on major public procurement projects, commercial agreements, and digital transformation, with regular national mandates led by Richard Millington, who focuses on commercial IT matters. Senior associate Rachel Whalebone specialises in data protection and privacy and outsourcing work.
Shoosmiths LLP advises major clients in football, rugby, and cricket, handling large-scale transactions and projects alongside commercial agreements, operational issues, and intellectual property work. The team is led by Richard Millington, who focuses on elite advisory work for high-profile clients, including transactions, sponsorship and distribution arrangements, and litigation strategy.
Manchester-based Richard Millington helms the sports offering at Shoosmiths LLP, specialising in sponsorship, content and broadcast deals, joint ventures and disputes, among other matters. Anastasia Fowle‘s work spans commercial agreements and corporate transactions, reputation management; she is also a go-to for regulatory and driver contracts in the motorsport sector and was recently appointed as the first non-driver director of the F1 Grand Prix Drivers Association.
- Corporate and commercial: Manchester - North West > Corporate and commercial
- Intellectual property - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- IT and telecoms - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Sport - North West > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Immigration
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Real estate > Construction