David Mathias > Shoosmiths LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
THE XYZ BUILDING
2 HARDMAN BOULEVARD, SPINNINGFIELDS
- Go to...
Real Estate, Partner
David is a specialist planning solicitor with over ten years’ experience acting for a range of both public and private sector clients on all aspects of planning and related law.
David has particular expertise in advising on the assembly of sites for infrastructure and regeneration projects and has led multi-disciplinary teams of professionals through all stages of the planning and infrastructure consents process.
David’s recent experience includes:
• advising Nottinghamshire County Council in relation to the promotion of a compulsory purchase order and associated side roads order for a major highways scheme delivering a 3.8km road running adjacent to the village of Gedling, unlocking the redevelopment of the Gedling Colliery site to provide over 1,000 dwellings together with a variety of employment uses;
• advising Walsall Council in relation to a major highway improvement scheme affecting Junction 10 of the M6. The £64.5 million scheme is being promoted by the Council in partnership with Highways England and required the making of two compulsory purchase orders, a side roads order and a special roads scheme in order to secure the land and necessary powers required to improve this heavily congested section of strategic highway;
• advising Liverpool City Council on the development proposals for its £1.8 billion Paddington Village Scheme, delivering upwards of 1 million sq ft of new mixed-use floor space within the Knowledge Quarter in central Liverpool;
• advising Cheshire East Council on the CPOs required to deliver £131 million of highways schemes including Sydney Road Bridge, Middlewich Eastern Bypass and the A500 Dualling Scheme; and
• advising City of York Council on the promotion of a proposed compulsory purchase order for a £38 million project to improve York’s Outer Ring Road.
David joined Shoosmiths in November 2019 after spending five years in Weightmans’ Manchester planning team. He trained and qualified at DLA Piper in Liverpool in 2010.
David is a member of the Compulsory Purchase Association.
The team at Shoosmiths LLP is described as ‘knowledgeable and skilled in advising on planning issues’; in addition to advising on major regeneration schemes across the country, it is noted for its strong residential development practice and its compulsory purchase work. ‘Superb strategic adviser’ Kathryn Jump, who draws on 20 years of experience, leads the team together with Lisa Tye, who is described as a ‘go-to contact for section 106 agreements and related matters’. David Mathias contributes planning and compulsory purchase order (CPO) expertise to the team, while legal director Samantha Grange has experience in complex CPO objections and claims.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Immigration
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Pensions
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Real estate > Construction