Paul Hally > Shepherd and Wedderburn > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Shepherd and Wedderburn Offices
1 EXCHANGE CRESCENT
- Go to...
Paul is a partner and chairman of the firm and heads up the finance and restructuring practice. He is one of Scotland’s best-known corporate lawyers, with a number of major energy and financial companies featuring in his client list including Cairn Energy, Lloyds Banking Group and European Assets Trust. He is also a highly experienced insolvency practitioner and. His particular specialism is complex restructuring and insolvency work involving the application of his wide range of banking, insolvency and corporate experience. He acts as a reporter to the Court of Session in Edinburgh on significant corporate transactions and is the convenor of the business policy panel of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. Recent work includes acting on various debt to equity restructurings, acting as Reporter on capital reduction applications by Bank of Scotland, HBOS and Standard Life and Cairn Energy’s international investment treaty arbitration against the Government of India.
Articled Fyfe Ireland WS; qualified 1984; assistant solicitor Shepherd and Wedderburn 1984-87, partner since 1987; president Scottish Young Lawyers’ Association 1983-85; lectured in insolvency for Law Society of Scotland, post qualifying legal education and Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland, joint Insolvency Examination training courses. Chief executive of the firm 1999-2004. Appointed reporter to the Court of Session in Edinburgh, 2006 and reported on various cases including the demutualisation of Standard Life and the merger of Lloyds Banking Group and Bank of Scotland and the recent Project Verde Schemes. Chairman of the firm since 2014.
Law Society of Scotland; Law Society; ICAS business law committee; secretary and non-executive director of World Services Group 2001-2004. Director of Scottish Financial Enterprise 2005 – 2011.
Perth High School; Edinburgh University (LLB Hons; WS).
Golf, hill walking, music.
Shepherd and Wedderburn has a strong track record in the closed-ended listed funds space; the team also has notable strength representing its asset manager client base and Scottish limited partnerships. Practice head Paul Hally has substantial experience in the investment trust field and has recently been advising clients on the potential impact of Brexit, among other issues.(Hall of Fame)
- Hall of Fame - Scotland > Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Investment funds - Scotland > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Real estate > Planning
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Public sector > Education
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Finance > Investment funds
- Public sector > Local government
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Human resources > Employment
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Real estate > Social housing
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland