Fiona Buchanan > Shepherd and Wedderburn > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Shepherd and Wedderburn Offices
1 EXCHANGE CRESCENT
- Go to...
Banking & Finance
Fiona is a partner in the Banking & Finance team and advises on a wide variety of banking matters, ranging from conventional secured and unsecured loans to Scottish SMEs, funding cross-border corporate buyouts and restructuring of debts of ‘distressed’ borrowers, to advising major UK and foreign financial institutions on structured multi-jurisdictional capital markets financing, including securitisation (RMBS, CMBS and whole business), covered bonds and other innovative funding techniques. Fiona also acts for sellers and purchasers of commercial and residential mortgage loan books in both the non-performing and performing space. She also gives opinions on a range of additional banking matters. Recent transactions include: acting for DBS Bank Ltd in Scotland in relation to a £291m secured loan to fund the acquisition of a portfolio of UK student accommodation; acting in Scotland for North Yorkshire Building Society and Amber Homeloans Limited in relation to their sales of portfolios of mortgage loans to Morag Finance 1 S.A R.L.; acting in Scotland for the Northview Group in relation to its RMS 29 and RMS 30 securitisations of residential mortgage loans; acting in Scotland for Erste Bank in relation to the financing of a number of Scottish registered aircraft.
Trainee, Tods Murray WS 1996-1998; assistant 1998-2002; associate, banking and finance team 2002-2005; partner, banking and finance team 2005-2014; departmental managing partner, banking and finance team 2014; partner, Shepherd and Wedderburn LLP 2014 to date; banking & finance practice group leader, 2015 to date.
Law Society of Scotland.
Falkirk High School; University of Edinburgh (1995 LLB Hons; 1996 Dip LP).
Busy working mum of three lively children, live music, skiing, entertaining.
Shepherd and Wedderburn has a strong track record in financing transactions, demonstrated by its broad client roster of commercial and investment banks, corporate borrowers, sponsors and developers. The group also has varied sector expertise, acting across the energy and natural resources, real estate and infrastructure, food and drink, healthcare, hotels and leisure sectors. Fiona Buchanan heads up the group, which also fields consultant Graham Burnside, Andrew Kinnes, who specialises in banking, asset-based lending and securitisation work; and Clare Foster, who leads the firm’s clean energy practice and project finance team. Hamish Patrick heads up the firm’s financial sector group and has substantial expertise in the securitisation space.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Real estate > Planning
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Public sector > Education
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Finance > Investment funds
- Public sector > Local government
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Human resources > Employment
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Real estate > Social housing
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland