Stephen Miller > Shepherd and Wedderburn > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Shepherd and Wedderburn Offices
1 EXCHANGE CRESCENT
- Go to...
Stephen is a partner in the corporate tax practice, advising on a wide range of direct and indirect taxes including corporation tax, VAT, stamp duty land tax, land and buildings transaction tax, capital gains tax, capital allowances, charity tax and employee taxation. He works closely with our corporate and real estate teams to ensure that transactions are implemented in the most tax efficient manner for clients, including corporate acquisitions, disposals and restructuring, sales and purchases of real estate, and property development and financing. Stephen has over 15 years’ experience and has worked with various industry leading organisations, such as The Miller Group Limited, BAE Systems and Cairn Energy PLC.
Trained Dundas and Wilson; qualified 1996; McGrigors 1997-98; tax manager PriceWaterhouseCoopers 1998-2002; associate Brodies 2002-08; partner Shepherd and Wedderburn 2008 to date.
Chartered Institute of Taxation (Chartered Tax Adviser)
Strathaven Academy; University of Glasgow (1990 MA Hons); University of Aberdeen (LLB).
Shepherd and Wedderburn has substantial expertise in land and buildings transactions tax issues, and represents both large corporate clients and individual shareholders across the full spectrum of tax matters. Its key strengths include corporate tax transaction advice, specialist tax advice for individual shareholders and real estate tax. The practice is led by chartered tax adviser Stephen Miller, who has spent more than a decade at the firm.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Real estate > Planning
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Public sector > Education
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Finance > Investment funds
- Public sector > Local government
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Human resources > Employment
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Real estate > Social housing
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland