John MacKenzie > Shepherd and Wedderburn > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Shepherd and Wedderburn Offices
1 EXCHANGE CRESCENT
- Go to...
Commercial and International Disputes
John is a partner, head of the firm’s UK-wide commercial litigation practice and an experienced solicitor advocate. He deals with a range of commercial litigation and has particular expertise in intellectual property and IT matters. He has rights of audience before the Scottish and English courts, appearing regularly before the Court of Session and the Scottish Appeal Court, and is one of the few solicitor advocates to have appeared before the General Court of the Court of Justice of the European Union. John advises on IP infringement issues and in particular online brand protection for clients from a variety of sectors, UK-wide, including energy and utilities, banking, IT and manufacturing. He has considerable experience in leading and managing high value claims backed by third party litigation funders. He sits on the Lord President’s Consultative Committee on Commercial Actions. He sits on the ADR Committee of the International Trademark Association and on the Lord President’s Consultative Committee on Commercial Actions in Scotland.
Trained McGrigor Donald; qualified 1992; admitted as a solicitor in Scotland 1992; admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales 2005; admitted as a solicitor advocate in Scotland 2000; admitted as a solicitor advocate in England and Wales 2006; accredited as a specialist in intellectual property law by the Law Society of Scotland; partner Shepherd and Wedderburn 2010; written pleadings (Tottel Publishing).
Johnstone High School; Edinburgh University (1990 LLB (Hons); 1991 DipLP).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Shepherd and Wedderburn is well placed to handle a wide range of construction and contractual disputes, including breach of warranty. Insolvency practitioner Gillian Carty heads the ‘fantastic‘ team, which includes the frequently recommended John MacKenzie; he is particularly noted for his expertise in IP and IT disputes. Barbara Bolton left the team in November 2018 to work in-house.
Shepherd and Wedderburn fields a dedicated media and technology team and a specialised IP litigation group. With particular expertise in the food and drink, sports, energy, entertainment, financial services and life sciences sectors, the group operates at a national and global level from its offices in Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Key practitioners include Joanna Boag-Thomson, who focuses on patent and technology licensing work, media issues and brand activations; Paul Carlyle, who leads the media and technology team; and John MacKenzie, who is an experienced litigator.
At Shepherd and Wedderburn the IT, media and telecoms practice focuses on assisting its client roster of broadcasters, telecom operators, content owners and technology companies with corporate, commercial and regulatory issues. The group also has a strong contentious offering under John MacKenzie and is active in the regulated sectors of financial services and utilities. Paul Carlyle leads the media and technology team and Joanna Boag-Thomson has specialist knowledge of the utilities sector.
The telecoms, technology and media team at Shepherd and Wedderburn, which is split across the firm’s London, Edinburgh and Glasgow offices, leverages its ‘practical experience of working in the telecoms sector on multinational deals‘ to deliver ‘actionable, risk-weighted advice‘. The team is jointly led by London-based regulatory and antitrust specialist Gordon Moir, who has ‘practical experience in a wide range of jurisdictions‘; IP partners Paul Carlyle, who splits his time between London and Edinburgh, and Glasgow-based Joanna Boag-Thomson; and Edinburgh-based commercial litigator John MacKenzie.
- Commercial litigation - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- IT and telecoms - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Leading individuals - Scotland > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Intellectual property - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Real estate > Planning
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Public sector > Education
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Finance > Investment funds
- Public sector > Local government
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Human resources > Employment
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Real estate > Social housing
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland