Dua Associates > Bangalore, India > Firm Profile
Dua Associates Offices
130/1, 2ND FLOOR
BANGALORE 560 042
Dua Associates > The Legal 500 RankingsShiraz Patodia, the international trade practice at Dua Associates has notable expertise in advising Fortune 500 companies on anti-dumping and countervailing duties, with a notable track record in seeking nil duties and appropriate remedies for foreign exporters and producers. With knowledge of corporate litigation and arbitration, Ashish Singh provides crucial support in representing clients for adequate trade remedies. Star associate Mayank Singhal advises exporters, chambers of associations, importers and user associations when trade remedy investigations are carried out. Associate Juhi Chawla has experience in appellate and writ proceedings that arise from trade investigations, and associate Divya Sharma offers added support in contentious trade matters thanks to her strength in litigation.
Shiraz Patodia; Ashish Singh
‘Dua is one of the best Indian firms. Dua always provide us with professional and creative advice. Dua can provide competitive fee arrangement.’
‘I have worked with Shiraz Patodia for about 20 years. She is one of the best trade lawyers in India.’
‘Shiraz Patodia as the Senior Partner with her team of Ashish Singh, Partner and other associates work well as a team and deliver legally correct but practical advice.’
Kobelco & Materials Copper Tube (Thailand) Co, Ltd
Alconix Logistics (Thailand) Ltd.
Zhejiang Dingshang Stainless Steel Co., Ltd
Zhejiang Jinxin Stainless Steel Manufacture Co., Ltd
Zhejiang Junda Steel Pipe Manufacturing Co. Ltd
Zhejiang Xintongda Special Steel Manufacturing Co. Ltd
Dow Chemical Thailand Limited Dow Chemical International Private Limited
Sadara Chemical Company Dow Chemical Company Group
Longi Solar Technology Co. Ltd
Kruger Inc Canada
Government of Thailand, Agro Fiber Co., Ltd
Wisewoods Co. Ltd
Sadara Chemical Company
China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Medicines and Health Products
Suzhou Tianlu Bio-Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd
Zhongshan Belling Biotechnology Co. Ltd
Varopakorn Public Company Limited
- Represented Kobelco & Materials Copper Tube (Thailand) and Alconix Logistics (Thailand) in an anti-subsidy investigation concerning the import of copper tubes and pipes from Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Representing Zhejiang Dingshang Stainless Steel, Zhejiang Jinxin Stainless Steel Manufacture and others in an anti-dumping investigation against imports of stainless steel seamless tubes and pipes from China.
- Represented Dow Chemical Thailand and Dow Chemical International in an anti-dumping sunset review concerning exports of flexible polyol slabstock from Thailand.
Shiraz Patodia; Amit Dhingra; L.K. Bhushan; Ganesh Chandru; Ganapati Hegde; George Joseph
McCann Erickson Worldwide Advertising
McCann Erickson India
Dow International Technology Company
USA Filmtec Corporation Dow Chemical International Private Limited
DDP Speciality Products India Private Limited
Reliance Communications Ltd.
Reliance Telecommunications Ltd.
Zhejiang Jiuli Hi-Tech Metals Co. Ltd
The Dow Chemical Company
Sadara Chemical Company
Decathlon Sports India Pvt Ltd
E I DuPont De Nemours
ELCA Cosmetics Pvt Ltd
Estee Lauder Companies Inc
GAIL (India) Limited
Sterlite Technologies Limited
DLF Home Developers Limited
Otsuka Chemicals (India) Private Limited
Commercial Bank of Dubai
TransAsia Private Capital Limited
- Representing Dow Chemical International and Material Sciences India in a scheme of arrangement between the companies before the National Company Law Tribunal, Mumbai.
- Representing E I DuPont De Nemours (DuPont) in a complaint before the Courts at Chandigarh as well as quashing proceedings before the High Court of Punjab and Haryana, emanating from a complaint pertaining to commercial transactions.
Gautam Shahi; Robin David
Other key lawyers:
Balrampur Chini Mills Limited
All India Tyre Dealers Federation
Cement Manufacturers Association
Competition Commission of India
Hughes Communications Private Limited
- Represented Hughes Communications India before the CCI with respect to its joint venture with Bharati Airtel to provide satellite broadband services in India.
- Represents Balrampur Chini Mills (BCML) before the NCLAT in a cartel matter.
- Successfully represented the CCI before the NCLAT concerning an abuse of dominant position matter.
Sajive Kumar; CR Muralidharan
Other key lawyers:
Siddhartha Kumar; Anish Ghoshal
‘Well organised system.’
‘Professional and client oriented mind.’
‘They have delivered great value with their services.’
Prestige Estates Projects Limited
Motilal Oswal Real Estate Investment Advisors II Pvt Ltd
Trishul Buildtech & Infrastructures Private Limited
Nestled Haven Developers LLP
Godrej Properties Limited
Speckles Developers Private Limited
Swamih Investment Fund
Altico Capital India Limited
Millennia Realtors Private Limited
Vista Spaces and Estates
- Acted for Swamih Investment Fund, created to ensure completion of stalled brownfield projects, in the affordable housing/middle-income category.
- Assisted a global petroleum company in acquiring real estate in various states across India.
- Handled the due diligence advisory of approximately 390 acres of land in Dharwad, Karnataka for acquisition by Aequs Group from KIADB.
India > Corporate and M&A Tier 4Dua Associates advises a global client base on transactions- including cross-border investments and joint ventures- as well as on broader corporate law and governance issues such as contract law, restructurings, and foreign exchange law. The firm has a nationwide reach, and includes key team members with international experience and expertise across a broad range of corporate, regulatory, and financing issues. Practice leads include the highly experienced Neeraj Kumar in New Dehli, with Salil Gulati also a key name in New Dehli, Gurugram-based Shishir Sharma and Sita Khosla, Anish Ghoshal in Mumbai, Manoj Menon in Bengalaru, and Chandigarh-based Siddhartha Kumar.
Other key lawyers:
Desay S V Automotive Singapore Pte Ltd ( Desay)
TVS Motor Company Limited (TVS Motor)
TVS Motor Company Limited and TVS Singapore (TVS Motor)
SNP SE , Germany (SNP)
Blaser Swisslube India Private Limited (Blaser Swisslube)
Fourth Partner Energy Private Ltd
Edwards Limited, a group entity of Atlas Copco,
Hughes Communications India Private Ltd (HCIPL)
Ritika Private Limited
DCM Shriram Industries Ltd (DSIL)
Kotak Securities Limited
Lease Plan India
- Advised Ritika Private Limited in its 52% equity acquisition by Reliance Retail.
- Advised DCM Shriram Industries Ltd on its JV agreement with Turkish company ZyrOne Dynamics for manufacture and marketing of UAVs in India.
- Advised TVS Motor on its further increase in stake (shares purchase) in TVS Supply Chain Solutions Limited by purchase of shares from Dhinrama Mobility Solution Private Limited.
Other key lawyers:
‘Their capability lies in understanding transactions at depth, working out plausible solutions, negotiation strategy and most importantly, owning the transaction.’
‘It is the understanding of complex transactions and advising on real-time basis which makes the firm / its team unique. Sharan Subramanium has added value with his negotiation skills and real-time inputs in stringent timelines.’
Mahindra Logistics Limited
Fourth Partner Energy Private Limited
Maniv Mobility II L.P
Siana Capital Management LLP
CanFin Venture Capital Fund Limited
Kotak Investment Advisors Limited
Alliance Mall Developers Pvt Ltd
Punjab Renewable Energy Systems Private Limited
- Represented Mahindra Logistics Limited in the acquisition of a stake in ZipZap Logistics, a last-mile logistics service provider that operates under the brand ‘Whizzard’.
- Advised Fourth Partner Energy in successfully raising equity funding from Norfund and its existing shareholder, The Rise Fund, TPG’s global impact investing platform.
- Advised Maniv Mobility II L.P, a venture capital firm investing globally across the automotive, transportation, energy, and logistics spaces,on an investment in the share capital of World of River Private Limited by subscription to equity shares and preference shares.
Dua Associates > Firm Profile
The firm: Established in 1986, Dua Associates is one of India’s prominent law firms, serving a wide spectrum of clients drawn from several Fortune 500 companies, publicly-listed organisations, public-sector enterprises, privately owned businesses as well as multi-national companies. With full- service offices in eight key metropolitan cities in India, Dua Associates is widely recognised for its depth of experience and the knowledge of its over 250 legal professionals including 73 partners and counsels.
The firm recognizes the support of some long standing clients such as Dow Chemical, McDonalds, Boeing, Dell, Fourth Partner Energy, CapitaLand, Estee Lauder, Brookfield Asset Management, TVS Motors, TAFE, Tata, ICICI, L&T, Gillette, IFC, Deutsche Bank and GE Healthcare among several others, who have been associated with it during its 30-year journey.
The firm’s expertise in complex transactions involving M&A, foreign direct investment, private equity, venture capital , infrastructure projects , project financing , banking and corporate deals as well as litigation, arbitration , regulatory and tax structuring issues , is widely recognized. Under its real estate and urban development practice, the firm is credited with some significantly large deals. Additionally, several partners of the firm have also been individually ranked and awarded for their stellar contributions to their respective practice areas.
New domains: Dua Associates remains at the forefront of helping global organizations navigate fresh Indian investment opportunities. Underscoring its resilience and future-readiness, the firm has additionally created specialized practice groups, comprising of senior leadership team members and domain experts, to focus on emerging opportunities, in sectors like :
Healthcare: Dua Associates is leveraging its in-depth understanding and experience in assisting prominent pharmaceutical and healthcare companies to further customize its services for clients in this sector.
Data privacy and cyber-security: The firm’s specialized team backed by legal and sector-specific experts and industry stalwarts, has stayed ahead of the curve in dealing with techno-legal issues, privacy and data security-related enforcement trends and new laws and regulations.
Aviation, defence and space: The firm’s practice focuses on various aspects of international civil aviation and domestic civil aviation industry including airport disinvestment, modernization and privatization.
In defence, the firm has advised OEMs to technology providers and suppliers on various issues besides negotiating joint ventures with foreign investment firms.
With the recent opening up of India’s space program to the private sector, the firm has focused on this space opportunity – having subject-specific expertise to advise clients in this domain.
Technology, media and telecommunications: In addition to the technology and regulatory advisory, the firm provides high level strategic advice on the current concerns around 5-G implementation, spectrum related issues and related matters.
Key practice areas
Mergers and acquisitions: This highly ranked practice, combines the firm’s rich international experience and expertise with Indian domestic laws / regulations, to devise effective structures for M&A.
Private equity and venture capital: With a wealth of experience in representing both domestic and foreign funds as well as prospective investee companies and their promoters, the firm has a proven capacity and track record for providing assistance in every phase of the investment lifecycle, from fund creation to investment execution and exit strategy, across a spectrum of industry sectors.
Corporate and commercial: The firm advises on a broad spectrum of matters from general corporate advice, regulatory compliance, corporate governance, company formation to regulations and securities laws.
Real estate and urban development: The advisory services to clients include institutional investors in all aspects of transactions such as financing, acquisitions, joint development, disposition and leasing matters and complex title due diligences.
Privatization and disinvestment: The firm has advised Government and public undertakings in areas like competitive bidding, strategic sale and disinvestment feasibility and strategy.
Projects/infrastructure/ energy:The firm has substantial sector-specific experience in energy, both fossil-based and renewables, airports, oil & gas, SEZs, ports, and transportation, amongst others.
Banking, finance, insolvency and insurance: A wide ranging practice in Corporate Finance, Banking and Project Finance and representing funds, NBFCs, financial institutions and project developers in secured and unsecured transactions, makes it a significant one for the firm.
Capital markets: The firm has rich experience in equity, capital and derivative markets and has advised private parties and the Government and public sector undertakings on Qualified Institutions Placements, IPOs and matters relating to India security laws.
Dispute resolution/litigation and arbitration: The firm’s highly ranked active and robust litigation and arbitration practice covers civil, commercial, tax, regulatory, criminal and constitutional matters.
International trade and anti-dumping: This practice team assists domestic and international clients in international trade and customs-law matters and guides them through investigations or enforcement programs with respect to anti-dumping and WTO issues.
Intellectual property rights: Clients are advised by the firm regarding identification, development, protection and enforcement of their IPR portfolios, including trademarks, patents, copyrights and cyber-laws besides offering prosecution services before relevant IPR registering authorities
Antitrust and competition law: The firm assists in merger control assessments and filings, abuse of dominant positions, cartel investigations, undertaking competition compliance programmes and training, evaluating impact on day to day business operations as well as longer-term business strategies, anti-competitive agreements and defining contractual arrangements.
Taxation: The tax planning services offered relate to establishing a corporate business presence in India, besides assistance in formulating tax-efficient structures consistent with the prevailing tax regime
Labour and employment: Specialized advice is rendered on labour matters, employee relations and compliance with the various prevalent labour, industrial and immigration laws including regulatory compliance, statutory contributions and registrations thereunder.
Anti-bribery and white-collar crime: The firm advises and supports clients on issues related to anti-bribery, white collar crime, corporate governance failures and frauds, adopting an integrated and multidisciplinary approach.
Food and beverages: The firm has expertise on the complex laws and regulations that govern food products, including packaging, labeling and product specific advertisements.
|Corporate & Commercial;Capital Markets ; Governance & Compliance Governance &||C.R. Duafirstname.lastname@example.org||91 11 2371 4408|
|Dispute Resolution; International Trade ; IPR||Shiraz Patodiaemail@example.com||91 11 2371 4408|
|Aviation ;Telecom; Corporate Advisory ; Mergers & Acquisitions||Sita Khoslafirstname.lastname@example.org||91 124 2803366/69|
|Mergers and acquisitions; General Corporate & Commercial||Neeraj Kumaremail@example.com||91 124 2803366|
|Private equity and Venture capital||Manoj Menonfirstname.lastname@example.org||91-80 2558 8799/2558 9909|
|Corporate &Commercial||Sanjeev Kaulemail@example.com||91 124 2803366|
|Corporate & Commercial; M&A ; Food & Beverages||Salil Gulatifirstname.lastname@example.org||91 11 2371 4408|
|Corporate Advisory; Mergers & Acquisition; Real Estate||Siddhartha Kumaremail@example.com||91 172 4666627|
|Real Estate; Infrastructure, Aviation||Shashivansh Bahadurfirstname.lastname@example.org||91 11 2371 4408|
|Projects, Infrastructure & Energy; Governance & Compliance||Akash Nathemail@example.com||91 11 2371 4408|
|Aviation and Aerospace; Company Law||Ranjana Kaulfirstname.lastname@example.org||91 11 2371 4408|
|TMT; Infrastructure Projects; Securitisation &Structured Finance ;||Munish Sharmaemail@example.com||91 11 2371 4408|
|Banking, finance and Insurance||Jyoti Pandefirstname.lastname@example.org||91 11 2371 4408|
|Corporate & Commercial ; Banking & Finance ; IT ; FMCG||NU Subayaemail@example.com||91 80 2558 8799/9909|
|Litigation; Arbitration||George Josephfirstname.lastname@example.org||91 80 2558 8799/9909|
|Dispute resolution- Litigation||LK Bhushanemail@example.com||91 11 2371 4408|
|Corporate & Tax Advisory; M&A ; Capital Markets||Sunil Malikfirstname.lastname@example.org||91 124 2803366/69|
|Litigation ;Labour & Employment||Robin Davidemail@example.com||91 11 2371 4408|
|Antitrust &Competition;General Corporate Advisory||Kunal Mehrafirstname.lastname@example.org||91 11 2371 4408|
|Dispute Resolution ; Corporate & Commercial||Rajdeep Pandaemail@example.com||91 11 2371 4408|
|Insolvency & Bankruptcy; Commercial Litigation ;Civil Litigation||Chitranshul Sinhafirstname.lastname@example.org||91 11 2371 4408|
|Dispute Resolution Arbitration||Ganesh Chandruemail@example.com||91 11 2371 4408|
|Litigation & Arbitration||Amit Dhingrafirstname.lastname@example.org||91 11 2371 4408|
|Dispute Resolution; Corporate & Commercial; Banking & Finance||Anish Ghoshalemail@example.com||91-22-6636-9966|
|Real Estate ; Corporate & Commercial||P.V. Sajive Kumarfirstname.lastname@example.org||91 44 2431 4304|
|Corporate & Commercial||Abhinav Rastogiemail@example.com||91 11 2371 4408|
|Japanese Investment/Operations||Alok Vidyalankarfirstname.lastname@example.org||91 124 2803366/69|
|Banking & Finance; Corporate & Commercial; Real Estate||Anil Aggarwalemail@example.com||91 22 6636 9966|
|Corporate and Commercial Law Mergers & Acquisitions Foreign Investment/Exchange Control Real Estate and Intellectual Property||C. R. Muralidharanfirstname.lastname@example.org||91 80 2558 8799/9909|
|Labour & Industrial Law Litigation/Arbitration||Ganapati Hegdeemail@example.com||91 80 2558 8799/9909|
|Mergers & Acquisition Financing & General Corporate||Gunjan Malviyafirstname.lastname@example.org||91- 11- 2371 4408|
|M&A and Investments Finance & Banking Funds and Securitization Projects and Corporate Advisory||Nirvaan K. Guptaemail@example.com||91- 11-2371 4408|
|Commercial & Corporate Litigation||Rahul P. Davefirstname.lastname@example.org||91 11 2371 4408|
|Litigation Corporate & Commercial Law Corporate Advisory||Senthil Kumar Rama Moorthyemail@example.com||91 44 2431 4304-07|
|Dispute Resolution: Litigation & Arbitration, International Trade, Intellectual Property||Ashish Singhfirstname.lastname@example.org||91-11-2371-4408|
|Dispute Resolution - Litigation||L.K. Bhushanemail@example.com||91-11-2371-4408|
|IPR, Corporate Law, Real Estate||Hetal Narain Thakorefirstname.lastname@example.org||91-22-6636-9966|
|Corporate & Commercial Law||Shishir Sharmaemail@example.com||91 -124- 2803366/69|
|Litigation & Telecom Law||Sairam Arjun Sureshfirstname.lastname@example.org||91- 44- 2431 4304|
|Mr Murali C.R.||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Ganapati Hegde||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr George Joseph||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr P V Sajiv Kumar||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Manoj Menon||Partner. Manoj Menon specializes in corporate and commercial laws with emphasis on…||View Profile|
|Ms Vimla Pinto||Partner. General corporate laws, Real Estate Laws and Insurance||View Profile|
|Mr N.U Subaya||Partner||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of Partners : 73 Number of Professionals (including Partners) : 300+ At this office : 100+
MembershipsA well-established international network of foreign associates
- Advised TVS Singapore through TVS Motor India on inter alia the following overseas acquisitions in Switzerland and Croatia.
- acquisition of around 80% stake in GO AG, a Swiss company, engaged in business of developing and building technically advanced products for electric mobility solutions including e-bikes, e-cargo bikes and e-scooters. This was an overseas acquisition by TVS overseas entity.
- acquisition of a controlling interest (~ 50%) by way of primary and secondary investment in Greyp Bikes d.o.o. (Target), a Croatia based company, engaged in the business of focusing on development of smart IoT e-bike solutions, design and production of e-bikes and operating software and platform to enhance user experience and data collection.
- Advised SNP SE and their German law firm, RITTERSHAUS Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB on its majority acquisition of another German company, Exa AG, having an Indian affiliate, Exa-AG India Private Limited. The services rendered covered legal due diligence and advice on the global transaction documents to cover issues and conditions precedent from Indian law including company law and foreign exchange laws. This transaction was significant as several compliances related advise was rendered to protect the interests of our German client and suggested appropriate specific indemnity and other indemnification protections.
- Dua Associates advised Blaser Swisslube in preparation of the joint petition for sanction of the scheme of arrangement with Blaser Swisslube Solutions India Private Limited (BSSPL) for the transfer and vesting of the wholesale trading business of Blaser Swisslube as a going concern to BSSPL in exchange for the shares of BSSPL to be issued to the shareholders of Blaser Swisslube.
- Dua Associates advised Mahindra Logistics in their acquisition of approximately 60% stake in ZipZap Logistics, a last-mile logistics service provider that operates under the brand ‘Whizzard’. This was effected through a combination of primary and secondary transactions in two tranches. The firm assisted Mahindra Logistics in structuring and negotiating the transaction documents as well as in conducting a due diligence of the target company. The acquisition will complement Mahindra Logistics’ existing last-mile delivery business and EDeL, its electric vehicle (EV) based delivery services. Expanding technology-based last-mile services is an integral part of the company’s growth strategy and this transaction will help accelerate addition of technology, geographical coverage and operational capabilities.
- Dua Associates assisted Hyderabad-based Fourth Partner Energy in its acquisition of the onsite distributed 140 MW solar generation portfolio of ReNew Power .The assets, are spread over 100 pan-India projects, set up at facilities where the renewable energy produced is consumed there itself. Most of these projects are operational.
- Dua Associates assisted Maniv Mobility II L.P, Maniv Mobility II A.L.P which is a venture capital firm investing globally across the automotive, transportation, energy, and logistics spaces, in a matter related to an investment in the share capital of World of River Private Limited by subscription to equity shares and preference shares issued by World of River Private Limited – a start up with focus on manufacture of motor vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers activities across the India.
- The Firm represented two companies namely Kobelco & Materials Copper Tube (Thailand) Co, Ltd and Alconix Logistics (Thailand) Ltd. in a recently concluded anti-subsidy investigation concerning import of Copper Tubes and Pipes from Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. This investigation was initiated by the DGTR suo-moto based on a representation filed by Bombay Metal Exchange. Dua Associates filed the response to the exporter’s questionnaire as well as a comprehensive injury defence substantiating a nil rate of duty for Kobelco and Alconix. The Firm represented the Kobelco and Alconix in oral hearings, filed comments and submissions throughout the investigation and demonstrated that the companies have not received countervailing subsidy on goods exported to India. The Firm was able to secure the exclusion of certain product categories from the scope of investigation. In addition, based on the submissions made by the Firm, Kobelco and Alconix were granted a Nil rate of duty.
- Dua Associates represented the China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Medicines and Health Products ‘CCCMHPIE’ and its members namely Zhejiang Apeloa Kangyu Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Inner Mongolia Yuanhong Fine Chemical Co., Ltd., Zhejiang Medicines & Health Products Import & Export Co., Ltd., Zhejiang East-Asia Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd, Anhui Biocompounds Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., and Sinopharm Healthcare Technology (Henan) Corporation for injury defence in an anti-dumping investigation concerning exports of ‘Ofloxacin and its intermediates’ from China PR. The firm also represented Zhejiang Apeloa Kangyu Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd for dumping and injury determination. The product subjected to investigation was defined as ‘Ofloxacin and its intermediates’ used to treat certain infections including bronchitis, pneumonia, and infection of the skin, bladder, urinary tract, reproductive organs, and prostate. In medical parlance, Ofloxacin is in a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones and works by killing bacteria that cause infections. Considering the downstream use of the product, the Central Government has not issued the notification levying anti-dumping duty within prescribed timeline and no anti-dumping duty is payable.
- The firm represents Henan Ancai Group in anti-dumping investigation sunset review concerning imports of Textured Tempered Glass from China PR. Prior to the present investigation, the firm has also represented Ancai Group in the original investigation. Based on representation filed by Dua Associates, the Ministry of Finance rejected the recommendation by the DGTR in the sunset review. As a result, the recommendation of the DGTR is not implemented and the duty imposed in the oral investigation ceased to exist without any extension.
- Dua Associates represented Otsuka Chemicals (India) Private Limited (“Otsuka”) in the arbitration initiated by the contractor arising out of a contract for construction of a GCLE project including Manufacture, Supply, Fabrication and Erection of Equipment, Piping Systems, Instrumentation and Electrical Material at Otsuka’s site in Rajasthan. GCLE is a vital drug intermediate which has a very high demand and usage in India as an ingredient to produce several antibiotics.The primary claims raised by the contractor pertain to purported extra work carried out which are not covered within the contractual scope of work. This was a complex arbitration requiring interpretation of multiple contractual documents, an understanding of engineering terms and engineering drawings called piping and instrumentation diagrams. In the recent arbitral award published, Otsuka succeeded in these proceedings as the contractor’s claims were dismissed in their entirety.