Ms Lily Chea Li Tan > Albar & Partners > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Lawyer Profile
Albar & Partners Offices
Suite 14-3, Level 14, Wisma UOA Damansara II
No.6 Changkat Semantan, Damansara Heights,
- Go to...
Ms Lily Chea Li Tan
Banking & Finance, Corporate & Commercial, Capital Markets (Debt & Equity), Islamic Finance.
Joint Managing Partner
Lily is one of the founding partners of Albar & Partners. Lily is the Joint Managing Partner. She heads the Corporate and Commercial and Equity Capital Markets practice groups, while also co-leading the Banking & Finance practice group. Lily focuses on large scale M&As and de-mergers, public take-overs initial public offerings, listings and de-listings, REITs, privatisation projects and joint ventures. She is highly experienced in sophisticated structured finance, asset backed securitisation and project finance transactions (both domestic and cross border), conventional bonds and complex Sukuks. With her extensive background, she has advised in many ground-breaking transactions which have won awards as some of the top deals in the nation and South-East Asia.
Lily graduated with double degrees, a Bachelor of Economics (Accounting) and a Bachelor of Laws from Monash University, Melbourne, Australia. She was admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 1990 and commenced legal practice as a Banking & Finance associate at Messrs. Albar, Zulkifly & Yap. She enjoyed a meteoric career and was admitted into the partnership within 3 years. Lily is one of the founding partners who established Albar & Partners. She is currently the Joint Managing Partner.
The Asia Business Law Journal listed Lily as one of Malaysia’s best private practice lawyers in “The A-List: Malaysia’s Top 100 Lawyers” in 2019. At the ALB Malaysia Law Awards 2017, she won the inaugural Woman Lawyer of the Year award. She was listed by the Euromoney Expert Guide series as a leading lawyer in Capital Markets Guide (2011), Banking, Finance and Transactional Guide (2012, 2017 to 2019) and Women in Business Law Expert Guide (2015, 2016 & 2017). Lily was recognised as a “Leading Individual” in Banking & Finance, Capital Markets and Islamic Finance in Malaysia by The Asia Pacific Legal 500: Guide to Asia’s Commercial Law Firms. Additionally, annual surveys conducted by Asialaw Leading Lawyers ranked Lily as an Elite Practitioner in Malaysia in the practice areas of Banking & Finance and Capital Markets. Lily was featured as Band 1 Lawyer for Corporate/Commercial: Equity Markets by Chambers Asia Guide. The IFLR1000: Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms also recommends Lily as a Highly Regarded Leading Lawyer for Banking, Capital Markets, Energy & Infrastructure and M&A.
Within the Islamic Finance space, Lily was voted as a Leading Lawyer for several years by global senior industry Islamic finance practitioners (including issuers, investors, non-legal financial intermediaries & regulators) in annual surveys conducted by the Islamic Finance News in the IFN Leading Lawyers Survey for Project Finance (2009), Banking & Finance (2010), Banking & Capital Markets (2011) and M&A (2012).
Lily has led in several notable and award-winning transactions including:
- Led the joint principal advisers and lead arrangers in MBSB Bank Berhad’s RM2.295 billion structured covered Sukuk Murabahah facility: Debt Market Deal of the Year (ALB Malaysia Law Awards 2019).
- Led the issuer in the perpetual Islamic notes under a perpetual Islamic note issuance programme of RM2 billion based on Shariah principle on Musharakah established by UMW Holdings Berhad: Musharakah Deal of the Year (IFN Deals of the Year Awards 2018).
- Led in the merger of Malaysia Building Society Berhad (MBSB) and Asian Finance Bank Berhad (AFB), in a deal which saw MBSB acquiring 100% equity interest in AFB to create the 2nd largest stand-alone Islamic bank in Malaysia, MBSB Bank Berhad: Equity & IPO Deal of the Year (IFN Deals of the Year Awards 2018).
- Led the principal advisers and arrangers in the RM800 million unrated perpetual Sukuk Wakalah established by Tanjung Bin Energy Sdn. Bhd: Perpetual Deal of the Year (IFN Law Awards 2017).
- Led the issuer in the public offering of shares by Serba Dinamik Holdings Bhd in conjunction with its listing on the Malaysian stock exchange: Equity Market IPO Deal of the Year 2017 (ALB Malaysia Law Awards 2017).
- Led MMC Port Holdings Sdn Bhd as the offeror in the1.44 billion mandatory general offer and take-over of NCB Holdings Bhd: M&A Deal of the Year (Mid-Size) (ALB Malaysia Law Awards 2017).
- Led the principal adviser and arranger in the RM2 billion perpetual sukuk established by DRB-HICOM Bhd: Islamic Finance Deal of the Year (Asian Lawyer Emerging Markets Awards 2015) and Asian-MENA Counsel Deal of the Year 2015.
- Led the issuer in Boustead Plantations Berhad IPO and the Boustead REIT privatisation: Best Islamic Privatisation (Triple A Islamic Finance Awards 2014), Islamic Finance Deal of the Year (Asian Lawyer’s Emerging Markets Awards 2014), Equity Market Deal of the Year (ALB Malaysia Law Awards 2015).
- Led the issuer in the RM16 billion IPO for Felda Global Ventures Holdings Berhad: Malaysia’s largest and the world’s 2nd largest IPO at the point of listing in 2012, Asian-MENA Counsel Deal of the Year 2012, IPO Deal of the Year (IFN Law Awards 2012).
- Led the issuer in the US$4.2 billion IPO for PETRONAS Chemicals Group Berhad: Malaysia’s largest and the largest South-East Asian IPO in 2010: Best Malaysia Deal (Finance Asia’s Awards for Achievement 2010), Equity Deal of the Year (IFN Deals of the Year Awards 2010).
Bahasa Malaysia, English, Cantonese and Hokkien dialects.
Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya and member of the Malaysian Bar
B.Ec (Accounting), Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
LL.B, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya.
Malaysia > Banking and finance(Leading individuals)
The ‘technically sound‘ practice at Albar & Partners specialises in high-value financing transactions for a range of international investors. Led by Lily Chea Li Tan, Swee Loong Chung and Sharifah Dalilah Albar, the team’s ‘great strength‘ is demonstrated by its full-service offering across the banking and finance field, including corporate lending, Islamic finance and Sukuk, and project finance. Tan and Abraham Tat Hon Teh advised a cross-border consortium of lenders on financing the SGD500m development of Central Boulevard in Singapore. The ‘technically proficient‘ Seet Hooi Ping is praised for her ‘on the spot, accurate advice‘.
Malaysia > Projects and energy
Albar & Partners is a firm to note for project finance transactions, with experience advising both local and international financial institutions and borrowers. The group fields a multidisciplinary team which combines expertise from its corporate, and banking and finance practices – both of which benefit from Lily Chea Li Tan‘s diverse experience in corporate, M&A, conventional and Islamic finance and capital markets transactions – with its debt capital markets team, which is led by Swee Loong Chung.
Malaysia > Corporate and M&A
The ‘skilful and committed‘ team at Albar & Partners attracts praise for its ‘commercial mindset‘ and is instructed in a range of high-profile domestic transactions. Lily Chea Li Tan heads up the practice and has experience assisting across a range corporate transactions; other names to note include Natalie Suan Wan Peh who ‘gives timely, clear and practical advice and is able to identify and deal with potential hurdles and issues early on‘, and Hooi Ping Seet, who splits her time between corporate and financing matters.
Malaysia > Islamic finance(Leading individuals)
Albar & Partners‘ practice has experience across a range of Islamic finance structures, including complex debt capital market transactions. The team counts a range of national and international financial services institutions among its clients, and attracts praise for ‘not just assisting with the legal issues but also understanding the commercial intention‘. Lily Chea Li Tan and Swee Loong Chung jointly head the team, handling a range of structured finance, Sukuk issuances and project financing transactions.
Malaysia > Capital markets(Leading individuals)
The capital markets practice at Albar & Partners has recently demonstrated a particular strength in debt capital markets but also has impressive experience handling a range of equity and equity-linked products, including Leong Hup International’s IPO. Managing partners Lily Chea Li Tan and Swee Loong Chung are names to note; Tan has experience assisting clients with IPOs, listings and delistings, as well as conventional bonds and Sukuks, while Chung focuses on advising on a range of debt capital market instruments.
- Banking and finance - Malaysia
- Capital markets - Malaysia
- Islamic finance - Malaysia
- Leading individuals - Malaysia > Banking and finance
- Leading individuals - Malaysia > Capital markets
- Leading individuals - Malaysia > Islamic finance
- Corporate and M&A - Malaysia
- Projects and energy - Malaysia