Mr Michael S Carl > SSEK Legal Consultants > Jakarta, Indonesia > Lawyer Profile
SSEK Legal Consultants Offices
MAYAPADA TOWER, 14TH FLOOR
JL JEND SUDIRMAN KAV 28
- Go to...
Mr Michael S Carl
Banking and finance, energy, mining, M&A, restructuring and insolvency, TMT
Foreign Legal Advisor
Michael S. Carl is a foreign legal advisor at SSEK. Michael’s practice is oriented toward energy, mining, infrastructure, finance, insolvency restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, and banking transactions.
Before joining SSEK, Michael was associated with the international law firm Baker & McKenzie in its Singapore and Bangkok offices, where he represented Indonesian and Thai concerns in US debt and equity offerings and debt restructurings. He was also previously associated with Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy and Coudert Brothers.
Michael is recognized by Chambers Asia-Pacific as a leading practitioner in the fields of banking and finance, corporate/M&A, projects and energy, real estate, and telecommunications. He has been acknowledged by the IFLR1000 as one of Indonesia’s top financial, corporate, mergers and acquisitions, and project finance lawyers, and by The Legal 500 as a leading practitioner for restructuring and insolvency. Michael is an Asialaw Leading Lawyer and has been included in the Who’s Who Legal guides to the world’s leading capital markets and mining lawyers.
In 2012, Michael was voted an External Counsel of the Year for Indonesia by the readers of Asian-MENA Counsel, who cited his wide-ranging knowledge and experience with Indonesian law and his responsiveness to client needs.
Michael’s experience includes:
- Working with a US-based private equity and venture capital firm on two separate transactions involving the acquisition of majority shares in Indonesian data center companies.
- Acting for Grab Inc., the leading Southeast Asian provider of ride-hailing services, in the acquisition of Uber’s business and assets in Indonesia.
- Acting as Indonesian counsel for DiDi Chuxing, the largest ride-hailing platform in China, in the acquisition of a substantial stake in Grab Inc.
- Advising Mitsubishi Electric Corporation on the acquisition of an Indonesian distributor of electrical components and equipment for Mitsubishi.
- Acting for Jardine Lloyd Thompson in the establishment of a business presence in Indonesia and the acquisition of two Indonesian companies engaged in the insurance claims management business.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern reinsurance company on the acquisition of an Indonesian reinsurance company in a transaction valued at about US$50 million.
- Acting for China Shenhua Energy Company Limited as Indonesian counsel in the successful bids for the Jawa-7 2×1000 MW and SumSel-1 2×300 MW coal-fired power projects.
- Representing the Sponsors, principally China Hongqiao Group Ltd., in the development of Indonesia’s first alumina refinery.
- Advising China Construction Bank in the acquisition of a 60% interest in PT Bank Windu Kentjana International Tbk.
- Advising a steering committee of US dollar bondholders in the court-supervised restructuring of PT Bakrie Telecom Tbk.
- Representing a Russian conglomerate in the acquisition of a majority stake in a nickel mine and related joint venture arrangements, including for the development of a nickel smelter.
- Advising a major Indonesian conglomerate in various potential mining acquisitions.
- Advising secured creditors class in the court-supervised debt restructuring of PT Berlian Laju Tanker Tbk, the largest court-supervised debt restructuring in the history of Indonesia.
- Acting for PT Arpeni Arpeni Ocean Line Tbk, the largest dry bulk shipping company in Indonesia, in one of the most complicated debt restructurings in the history of Indonesia, including a court-supervised Composition Arrangement, Chapter 15 recognition of that Composition Arrangement in the United States, a mandatory exchange offer for high-yield US dollar bonds, and substantial representations in litigations.
Michael advised PT Arpeni Pratama Ocean Line on one of the most complicated debt restructurings in Indonesian history. The deal was recognized by IFLR and Asian-MENA Counsel as a Restructuring Deal of the Year.
One client told IFLR1000: “Michael Carl delivers good, solid and pragmatic advice. He understands business needs and constraints.” Another told IFLR100: “Mike has an excellent technical grasp of both Indonesian law and the Indonesian language, which makes him unique amongst the expatriate lawyers in Jakarta.”
California State Bar
Michael received his JD in 1994 from the University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall) School of Law. He obtained a BA in history from Harvard University in 1988 and an MA in economics from the University of Hawaii in 1990. He was a graduate fellow at the East-West Center in Hawaii. Michael earned an Indonesian law degree in 2012 from Atma Jaya University, Jakarta.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
SSEK Legal Consultants is one of the standout independent firms in the region and attracts instructions from both international companies and international law firms on corporate deals. The team has a notably strong offering in Indonesia’s lucrative fintech and e-commerce sectors, often assisting global investors and private equity houses on major investments in this space. Michael Carl and Fahrul Yusuf primarily handle this part of the practice, with Carl also focusing heavily on the natural resources sector. Senior foreign counsel Michael Twomey is also heavily involved in the energy sector, whereas Ira Eddymurthy has a notably strong presence in the healthcare and pharmaceutical markets.
A leading independent firm, SSEK Legal Consultants has been supporting major Chinese and Japanese investors with their interests in Indonesia’s fintech and e-commerce sectors, counting tech giants Softbank and Alibaba as key clients. The team is jointly led by Michael Carl, who is an expert in corporate finance and M&A. His work in the fintech space has been especially involved in peer-to-peer lending platforms. Fellow practice head Fahrul Yusuf has a similar focus on corporate transactions, with a particular emphasis on digital currency and digital currency platforms.
SSEK Legal Consultants is well known for court-supervised debt restructurings and arbitration, corporate restructurings, and is a leading firm for handling non-performing loans. Michael Carl is an important figure in the market and highly skilled in complementary areas such as banking and corporate law. Dewi Savitri Reni is another key name noted for her particular experience in the automotive and oil and gas sectors.
With an enviable client roster of Saudi Aramco, ExxonMobil and Chevron, SSEK Legal Consultants has a very strong offering in the areas of oil and gas, mining and power projects. Outside of these core areas, the team is also skilled in the region’s growing geothermal sector as well as smelting projects. Michael D Twomey leads the team and is notably adept in handling upstream and downstream oil and gas projects. Fitriana Mahiddin similarly has a strong emphasis on the oil and gas sector, as well as on coalbed methane and mining. Corporate partner Michael Carl also has a strong focus on the energy sector, particularly for supporting Chinese investors.
SSEK Legal Consultants’ full-service corporate practice has expertise in contentious areas such as contractual breaches as well as disputes concerning major exits, restructuring or M&A transactions. Dewi Savitri Reni is a new name noted for her expertise in civil and criminal litigation, and often acts in arbitration cases. Michael Carl, who is best known for debt restructurings, is also recommended.
- Corporate and M&A - Indonesia
- IT, Telecoms and Fintech - Indonesia
- Leading individuals - Indonesia > Corporate and M&A
- Restructuring and insolvency - Indonesia
- Dispute resolution - Indonesia
- Projects and energy - Indonesia