Firm Profile > SSEK Legal Consultants > Jakarta, Indonesia
SSEK Legal Consultants Offices
MAYAPADA TOWER, 14TH FLOOR
JL JEND SUDIRMAN KAV 28
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Notable cases
- Client testimonials
- International capabilities
- Comparative Guides
- Legal Briefings
SSEK Legal Consultants > The Legal 500 RankingsSSEK Legal Consultants has an experienced corporate practice that regularly advises international investors and private equity funds, particularly with M&A transactions involving private equity purchasers or sellers to procure warranty and indemnity insurance. The team also has a strong regulatory advisory practice. Ira Eddymurthy and Michael Carl have extensive experience in the M&A and FDI space; Eddymurthy focuses on the insurance and healthcare sectors, and Carl specialises in the natural resources and tech space. Other key individuals to note include Fahrul Yusuf and Dewi Savitri Reni, both of whom have a strong financial services and technology-focused M&A practice.
Ira Eddymurthy; Rusmaini Lenggogeni; Fahrul Yusuf; Michael Carl
Other key lawyers:
Dewi Savitri Reni; Michael Twomey
‘SSEK has a really responsive and thorough corporate and M&A team. Their availability is exceptional and they deliver commercial advice, without over-servicing.’
Princeton Digital Group (PDG)
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
SoftBank Vision Fund
Pigments Spain, S.L.
Fahrul S. Yusuf; Michael S. Carl
‘SSEK provide fantastic support even in challenging times. Outstanding responsiveness, commercial advice and industry insight.’
‘The SSEK team led by Michael Scott Carl has deep expertise in executing Indonesian transactions on behalf of international clients and, unlike many other Indonesian firms, is extremely responsive.’
‘Michael Scott Carl – he has built a very strong team of capable Indonesian associates who are capable of executing complex transactions in an efficient and responsive way.’
‘The team is strong with their knowledge and detailed with their work.’
‘Fahrul S. Yusuf and his team has been exceptional with their commitment and support to our needs.’
Princeton Digital Group
Softbank Vision Fund
KEB Hana Bank
Indonesia > Real estate Tier 1SSEK Legal Consultants advises on the full range of real estate law, with particular strength in the tourism and hospitality sectors. The practice is also active in advising on land acquisitions and leasing matters in the energy and natural resources sectors. Real estate specialist Denny Rahmansyah advises on M&A, joint ventures, hotel and resort developments, industrial land acquisitions, and office and retail leases. Michael Twomey has a strong commercial real estate development, hotels and project finance practice.
Denny Rahmansyah; Michael Twomey
‘Denny Rahmansyah is a master of the real estate sector and knows the law from A to Z.’
Princeton Digital Group (PDG)
TSH Resources Berhad (TSH)
Ladang Lekir Sdn. Bhd.
China Fortune Land Development (CFLD)
Mitsubishi Estate Co., Ltd.
Jones Lang LaSalle
Dewi Savitri Reni; Denny Rahmansyah; Michael Carl
Ford Motor Company
Indonesia > Shipping Tier 1SSEK Legal Consultants has a broad maritime and shipping offering with particular expertise in the natural resources and cruise sectors. The practice advises on ship financing, mortgage, sale and purchase of vessels and ship arrests. Michael D Twomey has expertise advising on cabotage issues, ship financing and leasing. Senior associate Stephen Igor Warokka focuses on M&A transactions and foreign investments. Founding partner Dyah Soewito is another key individual to note.
Dyah Soewito; Stephen Igor Warokka; Michael D. Twomey
McDermott International, Inc.
Axxis Geo Solutions
Ira A. Eddymurthy; Fahrul S. Yusuf
Procter & Gamble
China Construction Bank
Shinhan Investment Corporation
Ira Eddymurthy; Fahrul Yusuf; Michael Carl
SoftBank Vision Fund
Ping An Puhui
LCH Lockton Pte Ltd
KEB Hana Bank
Dewi Savitri Reni
Other key lawyers:
United Overseas Bank (UOB)
Jakarta Intercultural School
PT Bakrie Telecom Tbk
Fahrul Yusuf; Rusmaini Lenggogeni; Syahdan Z. Aziz
Other key lawyers:
‘The SSEK team have been working in this space for some time and their experience shows. ’
‘Dicky Tanjung has great experience.’
Nissan Motor Co.
Procter & Gamble
SSEK Legal Consultants > Firm Profile
The firm: SSEK Legal Consultants was founded in 1992 and is today one of the largest and most highly regarded full-service corporate law firms in Indonesia. SSEK combines the local knowledge of its three decades of practice with the global outlook of its award-winning lawyers to offer multinationals and domestic companies innovative and timely solutions to their practical challenges.
SSEK’s attorneys combine the highest levels of local knowledge and international expertise. Our overriding priority is looking after our clients’ interests. We understand not only the legal environment as it affects clients but also their business and the business environment in which they operate.
SSEK’s experience enables us to anticipate and understand the government’s position in ambiguous situations. Utilizing a significant network of contacts in government departments and agencies, and our extensive computerized database of Indonesian law, opinions, and work product, we are able to advise clients on likely government policy positions when laws and regulations do not provide clear guidance.
SSEK is recognized by multiple legal directories as a leading firm in Indonesia across all major practice areas, and our partners and foreign legal advisers have received numerous individual awards and recognitions, including from The Legal 500, Chambers & Partners, IFLR1000 and Asia Law & Practice.
SSEK is described as “one of a select group of Indonesian local firms capable of providing genuine international standard advice” and a firm that “manages to combine technical strength with a very commercial approach” (The Legal 500).
The amalgamation of skills and holistic focus means that many clients consider SSEK’s role to be not just that of a legal representative, but also that of a trusted partner – the first point of reference and a reliable source of guidance.
Main areas of practice
Banking, finance and insurance: SSEK advises on all aspects of establishing and operating financial institutions in Indonesia. As well as providing regulatory advice, the firm prepares loan agreements and security documents for financial institutions and advises clients on mutual funds and pension plans, project finance and syndicated commercial loan transactions.
Capital markets and securities: SSEK advises issuers, underwriters and investors in stock, bond, convertible bond and commercial paper transactions, and assists clients with IPOs and strategic financing alternatives.
Dispute resolution: The firm helps clients develop appropriate strategies and claims in the event of a dispute while identifying any reasonable grounds for settlement and compromise. SSEK also advises clients on the merits of arbitration and related contractual requirements and acts as counsel in arbitral proceedings.
Energy, mining and natural resources: SSEK enjoys a strong international reputation in the coal and hard rock mining sector. The firm also assists investors in the forestry and palm oil plantation business.
Infrastructure and project finance: SSEK has extensive experience in project finance for the oil and gas, energy and mining sectors. The firm acts as counsel to developers and lenders in all types of infrastructure development projects, including multimillion dollar private power, toll road, telecommunications and water supply projects, as well as natural gas pipeline and mining projects.
Intellectual property: SSEK’s IP practice assists domestic and multinational companies in protecting their trademarks, patents, copyrights and industrial designs in Indonesia. We are able to assist foreign IP owners in the prosecution and litigation of IP matters in Indonesia and work with outside experts for certain matters.
Labor and employment: The firm advises corporate clients on Indonesia’s complex labour laws, personnel policies and work rules, employment contracts, collective bargaining arrangements, pension funds and secondment arrangements. SSEK assists corporate clients with the termination process.
Litigation: SSEK is experienced in civil litigation, arbitrations and dealing with the Indonesian national police in criminal investigations and complaints.
Mergers and acquisitions: The firm has worked on numerous high-profile acquisitions involving both private and publicly listed companies in a variety of sectors. SSEK advises on regulatory compliance and attends to related due diligence and document preparation.
Real estate and construction: SSEK advises on all types of real estate transactions, including rendering assistance and advice on the acquisition, sale and relinquishment of land. It negotiates and drafts commercial leases of all sizes and complexity, and assists clients in the coordination of large real estate acquisitions for hotel developments, industrial use and infrastructure projects.
Shipping: SSEK advises clients on compliance with cabotage rules and the implications for foreign investments in the domestic sea transportation industry, and assists with the sale and lease of vessels.
Technology, media and telecommunications (TMT): SSEK is active in advising clients in the growing e-commerce sector including on issues related to e-money and online payment services. The firm’s TMT team is experienced with M&A transactions in the technology space, cybersecurity, data privacy, fintech and regulatory matters.
International work: SSEK is regularly involved in large cross-border transactions. As an independent law firm, SSEK is able to work with major law firms in all jurisdictions.
|Mr Syahdan Z. Aziz||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Michael S Carl||Foreign Legal Advisor||View Profile|
|Ms Ira A Eddymurthy||Senior Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Darrell R Johnson||Of Counsel||View Profile|
|Ms Rusmaini Lenggogeni||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Fitriana Mahiddin||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Denny Rahmansyah||Managing Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Dewi Savitri Reni||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Fransiscus Rodyanto||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Winnie Y Rolindrawan||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Jonathan M Streifer||Foreign Legal Advisor||View Profile|
|Mr Michael D Twomey||Senior Foreign Legal Advisor||View Profile|
|Mr Stephen Warokka||Partner||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 70
MembershipsAmerican Chamber of Commerce in Indonesia Employment Law Alliance The Law Firm Network Transatlantic Law International The Interlex Group PERADI
- Assisted Grab Holdings as Indonesian counsel in connection with its listing on Nasdaq, which included the world’s biggest-ever merger involving a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC).
- Acted as external counsel for Pertagas, a subsidiary of Indonesian state-owned subsidiary of PT Perusahaan Gas Negara Tbk, in connection with the creation of a joint operation with energy company PT Rukun Raharja Tbk (Raja) for the construction, operation, and maintenance of the Balam-Bangko-Dumai and Minas-Duri-Dumai oil pipeline corridors (the Rokan Project)
- Acted as Indonesian counsel for Singapore-based Princeton Digital Group (PDG) in the sale of a strategic stake in its data centers business, including data centers in Indonesia. PDG entered into a definitive agreement for a new US$360 million equity investment led by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board.
- Advised PepsiCo, Inc. on the sale of its stake in and termination of its joint venture in Indonesia with PT Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur (ICBP).
- Assisted PT MRT Jakarta with the formation of a new subsidiary for a transit-oriented development (TOD).
- Advised PT Pertamina, Indonesia’s largest state-owned energy company, on the formation of the Indonesian Oil and Gas Holding SOE, a USD 4 billion deal that results in the creation of Indonesia’s largest state-owned holding company.
- Acted as Indonesian counsel to Vision Fund, the venture capital arm of SoftBank, as part of its investments in Grab Inc., the leading Southeast Asian ride-hailing app that is quickly becoming the region’s leading everyday app, and Tokopedia, the largest e-commerce platform in Indonesia.
- Represented China Shenhua, one of the largest developers of coal-powered IPPs in China, as the developer in several major power projects in Indonesia.
- Assisted Ovolo Group with the acquisition of a resort hotel in Bali. This was the group’s first property outside of Hong Kong and Australia.
- Acting as Indonesian counsel to a leading international oil and gas company in relation to the operation of two significant Production Sharing Contract (PSC) areas on Borneo island.
- Assisted an international energy company in connection with its disposal of the Lemang oil and gas block.
- Assisted Binance, one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges, in the indirect acquisition of TokoCrypto, the first cryptoasset exchange platform registered by the Indonesian government.
- Advising Upbit, the South Korean cryptocurrency exchange, on its operations in Indonesia.
- Represented a client in a police investigation over a criminal fraud matter and assisted the client in trying to recover its funds.
- Represented a client in its lawsuit against an Indonesian bank at the North Jakarta District Court for the payment of guarantee bonds issued by the bank.
- Successfully assisted a client in a dispute with an employee terminated over performance issues. In particular, the employee had left the factory during office hours, which caused an acid spillage in the factory.
- Represented a client in connection with a dispute with 17 employees our client terminated over an illegal work stoppage. The SSEK team representing the client at the Semarang District Court, including preparing and presenting evidence to defend the client. SSEK successfully guided the client through the court proceedings with minimal legal exposure.
CLIENT: VP – Finance & Support
COMPANY/FIRM: PT Total Oil Indonesia
TESTIMONIAL: “SSEK’s legal services are always delivered in seamless quality and well-timed manner.”
COMPANY/FIRM: PT Raiz Invest Indonesia
TESTIMONIAL: “I have always found [Dewi Savitri Reni] dependable, efficient and unfailingly punctual. In fact, I have never worked with a person who gives as much attention to detail as she does. Also, her willingness to take on difficult projects and see them to successful completion has repeatedly impressed me.”
CLIENT: Senior VP
COMPANY/FIRM: Maynilad Water Services, Inc.
TESTIMONIAL: “Maynilad is the biggest water utility in the Philippines in terms of customer base. Currently, Maynilad is looking for opportunities to expand its business in Indonesia. We are regularly talking to government officials and potential private partners. In doing so, we need to have very strong legal counsel in Indonesia. Professionally, we found SSEK to help us in exploring projects.”
CLIENT: Executive counsel
COMPANY/FIRM: GE Corporate
TESTIMONIAL: “[Dewi Savitri Reni] has the ability to understand and communicate cultural differences between the respective US and Indonesia legal regimes and achieve US client objectives in a very different cultural and legal regulatory regime.”
CLIENT: Legal contract advisor
COMPANY/FIRM: PT Pertamina Internasional Eksplorasi dan Produksi
TESTIMONIAL: “[Fransiscus Rodyanto] understands the issues provided by the client accurately and speedily. He provides solutions to the client’s problems in a very efficient way, both for the client’s operational and strategic interests. He also possesses vast knowledge of current legal issues in the Indonesian and international oil and gas industry.”
CLIENT: Head of legal
COMPANY/FIRM: PT Xiaomi Communications Indonesia
TESTIMONIAL: “[Fransiscus Rodyanto] has helped our company solve many tough cases with his superior legal knowledge, research skills, analytical skills, strategic views and practical thoughts. He is a responsive, thorough, responsible and competent professional who always has the client’s best interest in mind.”
- SSEK is the Indonesia member firm of the Employment Law Alliance (ELA), a global network of leading labor and employment lawyers. The ELA provides HR executives, general counsel and business leaders with comprehensive labor and employment and immigration services. Multinational companies choose ELA lawyers for fast, efficient, responsive services tailored to meet the unique needs of their global workforce. ELA law firms provide HR legal solutions around the world. The ELA offers global reach with local experts.
- SSEK is a member of The Interlex Group, an association of leading law firms around the world that cooperate to provide a complete range of international legal and business services to clients.
- SSEK is a member of The Law Firm Network (LFN). LFN offers businesses an alternative to global law firms: successful independent law firms working together, in an integrated way, offering choice, competitive pricing and local knowledge. The networks member law firms work together to resolve cross-border issues and advise legal counsels of small, medium and multinational companies.
Corporate governance in IndonesiaCorporate governance is slowly but surely being implemented in Indonesia. The typical form of corporate/business organisation in Indonesia is a limited liability company, but other forms are available, including co-operatives, representative offices and partnerships. But since the limited liability company is by far the most common form of corporate organisation, in principle, corporate governance is …
Published: July 2021
Authors: Fahrul S. Yusuf Albertus Jonathan Sukardi
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Technology laws and regulations that may occur in Indonesia.
Indonesia: Pharmaceutical Advertising
Published: November 2021
Authors: Ira A. Eddymurthy Winnie Y. Rolindrawan
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Pharmaceutical Advertising laws and regulations that may occur in Indonesia.