Justin Yuen > Deacons > Hong Kong, Hong Kong > Lawyer Profile
5TH FLOOR, ALEXANDRA HOUSE
18 CHATER ROAD, CENTRAL
- Go to...
Commercial Litigation practice group
Justin has extensive experience in litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution. Specialising in construction, he advises on a wide variety of private and government construction projects in Hong Kong and Macau. Justin‘s clients include the government, developers and contractors, and he advises on both contentious and non-contentious construction matters. Apart from construction, Justin also has substantial experience in handling cross-border dispute resolution.
Justin is regularly invited to speak at industry conferences and seminars on construction topics.
- Acting for the Government to commence arbitration proceedings against a PRC corporation in relation to 4 construction projects in Hong Kong.
- Acting for a Hong Kong developer to defend arbitration proceedings in relation to a serviced apartment project brought by the main contractor.
- Acting for a Macau main contractor to commence arbitration proceedings against the employer in relation to a residential development project in Macau.
- Acting for a Hong Kong main contractor to defend legal proceedings relating to the curtain wall works in a residential development project brought by its nominated sub-contractor.
- Acting for a Hong Kong main contractor to defend legal proceedings relating to the road maintenance works in a Government road maintenance project brought by its sub-contractor.
- Acting for a Hong Kong main contractor to defend arbitration proceedings relating to the piling works in 2 construction projects brought by its sub-contractor.
- Acting for a Hong Kong main contractor to defend arbitration proceedings relating to the cladding works in the Hong Kong International Airport brought by its sub-contractor.
- Acting for the owner of a mine in Mongolia in respect of its dispute with its contractor for mining works.
- Advising a quasi-governmental entity on its tender documents for its construction project in Hong Kong.
Council Member, The Law Society of Hong Kong
Vice-Chairman, Standing Committee on Standards and Development, The Law Society of Hong Kong
Member, Standing Committee on Compliance, The Law Society of Hong Kong
Member, Appeal Panel, Building Rehabilitation Company Registration Scheme, Urban Renewal Authority
Honorary Legal Adviser, Hong Kong Institute of Project Management
Member, Board of Review (Inland Revenue Ordinance)
China-Appointed Attesting Officer
Member, The Law Society of Hong Kong
LLB (Hons), University of Hong Kong, 1999
PCLL, University of Hong Kong, 2000
LLM, University of New South Wales, 2001
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Independent Hong Kong-based heavyweight Deacons provides ‘practical advice’ to clients from a range of sectors engaged in arbitration proceedings before the HKIAC, in particular, and is also adept at enforcement of court work around arbitrations, such as enforcement and setting aside. As well as their advocacy work, a number of the team also regularly sit as arbitrators themselves, ensuring that the firm has an excellent perspective on matters, as well as strong ties with the relevant arbitration bodies. The ‘very personable and commercial’ Joseph Chung is one such team member, particularly in relation to the wealth of experience he has built up handling construction and engineering-related arbitrations. KK Cheung also acts as an arbitrator, as well as providing ‘practical advice’ to clients engaged in construction and broader commercial disputes. Justin Yuen is ‘efficient and client-friendly’, particularly in the context of construction disputes.
- Next Generation Partners - Hong Kong > Dispute resolution: international arbitration
- Dispute resolution: international arbitration - Hong Kong
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Commercial, corporate and M&A: independent Hong Kong law firms
- Intellectual property
- Investment funds
- Labour and employment
- Real estate
- Antitrust and competition
- Capital markets (debt)
- Capital markets (equity)
- Corporate (including M&A)
- Dispute resolution: international arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Domestic and International Corporate Tax
- Private Client and Family
- Banking and finance