Alwyn Li > Deacons > Hong Kong, Hong Kong > Lawyer Profile
5TH FLOOR, ALEXANDRA HOUSE
18 CHATER ROAD, CENTRAL
- Go to...
Financial Services practice group
Alwyn has extensive experience in establishing and seeking SFC-authorisation of unit trusts and mutual funds domiciled in Hong Kong and overseas, with particular expertise in ESG funds, RMB denominated funds, QFI funds and UCITS funds. He also advises on fund restructurings, and assists clients with on-going compliance and post-authorisation issues.
In addition, Alwyn advises on the structuring and establishment of private investment funds. He regularly advises on regulatory matters across a broad spread of issues affecting the asset management industry in Hong Kong. He helps clients to set up their Hong Kong offices and obtain appropriate SFC licences.
Alwyn is experienced in advising on Hong Kong profits tax and stamp duty issues.
As one of the leading partners in the area of Mainland China-related investment funds, Alwyn and his team advised over 90% of the first two batches of South-bound funds to obtain SFC approval under the Mainland-Hong Kong mutual recognition of funds scheme since its launch in 2015. Other highlights include:
- assisting a leading global investment firm in obtaining SFC authorisation of index funds tracking the reference portfolios of the MPFA’s Default Investment Scheme regime
- advising on the setting up and authorisation of the first unlisted public SFC-authorised open-ended fund company (OFC) in Hong Kong
- advising a client on transitioning its SFC-authorised futures and options fund into a retail hedge fund – it is the only SFC-authorised retail hedge fund in the market
- advising a major fund house on its entry into Switzerland under the Swiss-HK mutual fund recognition scheme – the first in the market
- advising multiple fund managers on Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect issues in relation to their Hong Kong offering documents
Member, Regulatory Sub-Committee of the Hong Kong Investment Funds Association
BA (Political Science), The University of British Columbia, Canada (1995)
LLB, The University of Hong Kong (1996)
PCLL, The University of Hong Kong (1997)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Commercial, corporate and M&A: independent Hong Kong law firms
- Intellectual property
- Investment funds
- Labour and employment
- Real estate
- Antitrust and competition
- Capital markets (debt)
- Capital markets (equity)
- Corporate (including M&A)
- Dispute resolution: international arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Domestic and International Corporate Tax
- Private Client and Family
- Banking and finance