Dentons Kensington Swan > Wellington, New Zealand > Firm Profile
Dentons Kensington Swan Offices
89 THE TERRACE
PO BOX 10246
Dentons Kensington Swan > The Legal 500 Rankings
Other key lawyers:
Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency
Ministry of Social Development
Grand Complex Properties Limited
Universal Homes Limited
Tāmaki Regeneration Limited
Fletcher Building Limited
Fisher & Paykel Appliances Limited
Oji Fibre Solutions
Downer New Zealand
CPB Contractors/ CIMIC
- Advised Waka Kotahi on the development of the Business Case through to the current construction process for the NCI Project and the new Rosedale Bus Station.
- Advising Waka Kotahi on a number of complex matters relating to the SH1 Whangārei to Port Marsden Highway.
- Advising Waka Kotahi on all matters relating to environmental and planning approvals and land acquisition, as part of the SH58 project.
‘They are highly experienced, efficient and solution-oriented. They always give us pragmatic and realistic advice. They know our business needs and objectives well. They are not afraid of challenges, hence, they provide us with exceptional results. They are a team with good sense of humour. They are easy to work with. ‘
‘We love working with Heida Donegan and her team. Heida is always available to answer any questions we have. We feel at ease knowing that she takes a holistic approach to every deal. We can always rely on her to identify loopholes/issues and find solutions for us.’
Johnson & Johnson
Oji Fibre Solutions
Guangxi Fenglin Wood Industry Group
Pernod Ricard Winemakers Limited
Bridgestone New Zealand Limited
George Weston Foods
- Advised international pulp and paper company OjiFS on a number of acquisitions of forestry assets and on obtaining a standing forestry consent under the Overseas Investment Act (one of only four such standing consents that have been granted).
- Acted for the shareholders of Glidepath on the sale of all of their shares to French robotics and automated solutions leader B2A Technology SAS. Glidepath designs, manufactures, maintains and integrates automated technology solutions baggage handling and security systems for airports, and logistics centres and operates in 8 countries across five continents.
- Acted for Whanganui District Council on the establishment of the Whanganui Port Limited Partnership (LP) as a new council controlled organisation (CCO) to acquire the Whanganui Port assets and receive investment funding from the New Zealand Government’ Provincial Growth Fund.
Medical Council of New Zealand
Engineering New Zealand
- Advised the administrators, and then liquidators, of three STA Travel entities in relation to all matters arising from the collapse of the global business. This instruction is ongoing and has so far involved two court applications, with another in prospect in order to determine complex issue as to the status of funds received.
- Acted for a Professional Conduct Committee of the Medical Council prosecuting Dr E in the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal for professional misconduct. Dr E was charged in relation to his prescribing of abortion medication to two pregnant patients in breach of the Contraception, Sterilisation and Abortion Act 1977 and in breach of professional standards for general practitioners.
- Acted for Engineering New Zealand in proceedings for judicial review of a decision to dismiss complaints made by the Government’s Chief Engineer (and others) against Dr Alan Reay. Dr Reay is the director of the engineering firm that designed the CCTV building that collapsed during the Canterbury sequence of earthquakes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Catriona Grover is a stand out. She knows her area thoroughly and provides technically correct plus pragmatic advice.’
‘Catriona Grover – outstanding, could not say enough about the value she provides to us. Firstly she is always technically on point knows her stuff inside out in the funds/investment space. She is also across the ongoing Fintech changes and all this while being approachable and friendly to people at all levels in our business. ‘
‘Consistently great experience as a customer. Stick to budget and timeframes all the while delivering real value add in terms of the advice they give. The team is always well trained with lots of talent upcoming rather than just one or two people who are good. Working with an outstanding female partner (Catriona) who is top of her field is also really nice.’
‘Catriona Grover is the standout legal partner that I work with. She is both an excellent technical lawyer but also an excellent commercial mind.’
‘A very supportive working relationship with David Ireland and Tom McLaughlin. Helping to get us over the line on large projects in a pragmatic (business minded) way. As above, I feel they have the best interests of our business at the centre of what they do for us.’
Kiwi Wealth Limited
ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited
AMP Wealth Management New Zealand Limited
NZX Wealth Technologies
UniSaver New Zealand
Funds Administration New Zealand Limited (FANZ)
Equity Trustees Limited
Civic Financial Services Limited (‘Civic’)/Local Government
Superannuation Trustee Limited (‘LGST’)
Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu (‘ Ngāi Tahu ’)/ Whai Rawa Fund
- Advised Mercer New Zealand on the FMA-consented bulk transfer of members of the Bank of New Zealand Officers’ Provident Association to a new bespoke employer plan within the Mercer Super Trust, involving funds under management of approximately $270 million.
- Advised Kernel Wealth on the establishment and launch of eight new index-tracking funds, including Kernel’s first diversified global funds, bespoke thematic funds with a focus on innovation and technology, and funds focused on environmental, social, and governance factors.
- Advised Consilium NZ on the establishment of its KiwiWRAP KiwiSaver Scheme, including assisting Consilium NZ obtain its manager licence and advising on all design and regulatory issues, with the Scheme launching at the end of January 2021.
New Zealand > TMT Tier 2Dentons Kensington Swan combines ‘sound technical and legal knowledge’ with a ‘good understanding and knowledge of market practise and trends.’ The firm stands out for its specialist retirement village development financing and its knowledge of new product structuring and development, including transactional banking, trade finance, and receivables financing products. Continuing to benefit from the addition of Liz Lim in 2020, the firm is building on its global reputation and strengthening its visibility across the Asia-Pacific region with new instructions from leading Australian, Chinese and international banks. Lim’s experience in property finance, acquisition finance and asset based financing has attracted high-end mandates from key players in the New Zealand banking sector. Senior associate Pauline Ho is likewise recommended for corporate and structured lending. Both figures are based in Auckland.
Other key lawyers:
‘Dentons Kensington Swan is a “big firm” with a “small firm” ethos – i.e., a very personal service with a focus on delivering prompt/excellent legal services to its customers.’
‘Small but good team. Good people and work well with other practice areas, including property. Very responsive and attentive. Always very competitive with pricing/estimates and very clear in communications (when providing advice etc).’
‘Great availability. Very sound technical and legal knowledge, but provides good commercial advice. Good understanding and knowledge of market practise/trends.’
‘Liz Lim is one of those rare “trusted advisors” in the profession. Once instructed, she asks thoughtful questions to explore the scope of work, and thereafter proactively identifies potential issues (and offers potential remedies thereto), and otherwise delivers a seamless legal service/solution. For that reason, Liz Lim is very well known and respected in Auckland/NZ, and has amassed a following over the years.’
Bank of New Zealand
Bank of China
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
Dentons Kensington Swan > Firm Profile
Kensington Swan is one of New Zealand’s leading national commercial law firms working with clients to achieve complete legal solutions. In addition to its New Zealand client base of private and public clients, the firm actively advises multinational organisations on their investments and business activities in New Zealand.
The firm is especially regarded for its involvement in the infrastructure, natural resources, education, FMCG, food, manufacturing, healthcare, energy and government/public sectors. It assists clients with doing business in New Zealand, including employment, real estate, intellectual property protection, procurement, resource consenting and construction, public private partnerships, commercial contracts, competition law, joint ventures, M&A, Overseas Investment Act, privacy, financial markets, and finance. The firm is valued for its help on reputational risk and crisis management particularly in a dispute context, in the course of inquiries and in relation to overseas investment.
Kensington Swan is scheduled in early 2020, to combine with Dentons (www.dentons.com), the world’s largest law firm, meaning they can support your organisation wherever you operate.
|Construction & Major Projects||Brendan Cashemail@example.com||+64 4 915 0780|
|Construction & Major Projects||Paul Buetowfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 375 1114|
|Corporate/Commercial||David Lewisemail@example.com||+64 9 914 7263|
|Corporate/Commercial||David Shillsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 4 498 0890|
|Dispute Resolution||David Campbellemail@example.com||+64 9 375 1115|
|Government and Regulatory||Hayden Wilsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 4 915 0782|
|Employment||Charlotte Parkhillemail@example.com||+64 9 914 7259|
|Employment||Greg Cainfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 4 916 0963|
|Environment and Planning||Nicky McIndoeemail@example.com||+64 4 915 0818|
|Environment and Planning||Christina Sheardfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 375 1185|
|Asia Business||Heida Doneganemail@example.com||+64 9 918 6213|
|Financial Markets||David Irelandfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 4 498 0840|
|Financial Markets||Catriona Groveremail@example.com||+64 4 498 0816|
|Intellectual Property||Jenni Rutterfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 914 7251|
|Intellectual Property||Charlotte Henleyemail@example.com||+64 4 915 5955|
|Real Estate||Matthew Ocklestonfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 915 3350|
|Real Estate||John Meadsemail@example.com||+64 4 498 0872|
|Restructuring and Insolvency||James McMillanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+64 9 375 1154|
|Technology and Innovation||Hayley Milleremail@example.com||+64 9 915 3366|
|Mr Greg Cain||Partner||View Profile|
|Brendan Cash||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Linda Clark||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Martin Dalgleish||Partner||View Profile|
|Campbell Featherstone||Senior Associate||View Profile|
|Mr Ish Fraser||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Catriona Grover||Partner||View Profile|
|Mrs Charlotte Henley||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr David Ireland||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Nicky McIndoe||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr John Meads||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr David Shillson||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Hayden Wilson||Partner||View Profile|
Staff FiguresPartners : 33 Number of lawyers : 118
LanguagesChinese (Cantonese and Mandarin) Japanese Maori Korean
MembershipsInstitute of Financial Professionals New Zealand (INFINZ)
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Intellectual property
- Investment funds
- Labour and employment
- Projects and resources management (including environment)
- Restructuring and insolvency