Pippa Garland > Russell-Cooke LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Russell-Cooke LLP Offices
8 Bedford Row London
- Go to...
Charity and social business team
Pippa is a partner in the charity and social business team.
She advises charities, social enterprises and other not-for-profit organisations on all aspects of charity law. Pippa combines a strong general practice advising on governance, fundraising and trading, mergers and grant making (including overseas), with a particular expertise in philanthropy, where she advises both individuals and businesses on their giving. She has helped establish a number of family and corporate foundations.
Pippa trained at Allen & Overy. She joined Russell-Cooke in 2021 as a partner from Bates Wells where she was a senior associate.
- Trustee of FoodCycle
- Public Affairs Committee Member, Philanthropy Impact
- Member of the Charity Law Association, working group member on Corporate transparency and register reform
- St Anne’s College, University of Oxford, BA (Hons) Modern History (academic scholar)
- LLM, University of Law (Richard Tuddenham prize for highest result in the UK)
- Allen & Overy LLP (trainee 2010 – 2012, associate 2012 – 2014)
- Bates Wells & Braithwaite London LLP (2014 – 2021)
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
The team at Russell-Cooke LLP is praised as ‘approachable, highly intelligent, efficient, and coordinated‘ and ‘work is done quickly and is well, informed by deep industry insight with a knack for finding resolution on even the most nuanced legal issue’. Led by Andrew Studd, the group is adept at advising on the establishment of new charities and on philanthropy issues, and continues to see an increase in work on regulatory interventions by the Charity Commission; it is also skilled at advising charities that have been created by Acts of Parliament and by Royal Charter. James Sinclair Taylor is a long-standing adviser to charities, social businesses and other not-for profits, while Chris Rowse continues to work with various high-profile clients. Pippa Garland advises charities from a wide range of sectors, and Carla Whalen was recently promoted to the partnership. At senior associate level, Gareth Roy is another name to note.
Matthew Bosworth, a dispute resolution lawyer who heads up Russell-Cooke LLP‘s regulation and sports law team, is a key contact for football teams seeking advice on reputation management, professional disciplinary matters and the protection of IP rights. Frequently working with the support of Sheetul Sowdagur, Bosworth frequently steers the practice on mandates concerning the protection of IP rights for international sports broadcasters, and the defence of individual clients against safeguarding claims. Charities and social business expert Pippa Garland advises charities on donation-sponsorship agreements with sports teams.
- Next Generation Partners London > Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Charities and not-for-profit London > Private client
- Sport London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Court of protection
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Public sector > Education: individuals
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Employment > Immigration
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Employment > Senior executives
- Real estate > Social housing: tenant
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: Smaller Deals, £10m-£100m
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Real estate > Planning
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport