John Gould > Russell-Cooke LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Russell-Cooke LLP Offices
2 PUTNEY HILL
- Go to...
Administrative and public law; professional discipline and regulation
Senior Partner whose particular expertise is regulation and public law.
He specialises in the analysis and solution of complex regulatory problems, advising regulators, government departments, law enforcement agencies, statutory and professional bodies. His wide legal experience provides him with an unmatched ability to apply an understanding of a number of commercial legal areas to his work.
He has acted in over 40 reported cases, some of which established important legal precedents. A particular area of interest is complex financial schemes and he has played a leading part in investigations relating to investment, tax and pension schemes, international financial frauds, money laundering, organised criminality and the corruption of public officials.
He has advised and served as an expert witness for the SRA, the SFO and the FSA. He holds rights of audience in the higher civil courts. He provides advice on and drafts legal structures, statutory powers, royal charters and professional rules, and advises on the implementation of European directives in the UK.
He is Board Solicitor to the Architects Registration Board. He prepares independent reports on governance and related issues for public sector organisations.
He has long-standing experience of issues relating to legal practice, including financial systems and mergers and acquisitions.
John has led the senior management team at Russell-Cooke for more than 25 years. He has advised more than 40 sets of barristers’ chambers on structures, mergers and disputes.
He has advised in relation to political donations and expenses at the highest level and has often been involved in cases with significant media interest.
He acted for a substantial group of charities in relation to the Attorney-General’s reference to the Charity Tribunal on public benefit in poverty charities. He has acted for the Financial Ombudsman Service in relation to the high profile judicial review of payment protection insurance mis-selling. Recently he acted for the SRA in relation to Philip Shiner and allegations of abuse by soldiers in Iraq.
Trained Russell-Cooke, Potter & Chapman; qualified 1980; partner 1982.
Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers; Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
Bristol GS and Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge (Evan Lewis Thomas Law Student)
London > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
Russell-Cooke LLP ‘concentrates on providing great value for money and quality advice‘. Senior partner John Gould‘s areas of practice include complex financial schemes; Paolo Sidoli is noted for claims involving fraud and asset-tracing, minority shareholders, directors and partnerships, and breach of warranties; and Lee Ranford is insolvency team head. Elliot Elsey and Michael Stacey were recently made partners, while former commercial litigation team head Francesca Kaye was appointed a Master of the Chancery Division.
London > Dispute resolution > Professional disciplineWithin: Leading individuals -
Acting for both professional and regulatory bodies, regulated businesses and individuals, Russell-Cooke LLP has ‘amassed a considerable amount of knowledge over many years in relation to numerous areas of professional discipline‘. The practice has particular expertise in complex and high-profile cases involving solicitors, barristers, healthcare professionals, architects, accountants and charity trustees. Matt Bosworth is a highly rated adviser, and senior partner John Gould and Paolo Sidoli acted for the SRA in a landmark appeal that concerned the concept of lack of integrity for professionals, which had not previously been defined. Michael Stacey and Andrew Pavlovic are the senior associates to note; former senior associate Michael Colledge left for Blake Morgan LLP.
- Leading individuals - London > Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- Professional discipline - London > Dispute resolution
- Commercial litigation - London > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Court of protection
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Public sector > Education: individuals
- Human resources > Employment: senior executives
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Family: mediation
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- Real estate > Commercial property: retail
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Social housing: tenant
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Real estate > Planning
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Human resources > Immigration