Cathryn Selby > Nelsons Solicitors Limited > Derby, England > Lawyer Profile
Nelsons Solicitors Limited Offices
- Go to...
Partner and Director of Risk and Performance Management. Responsible for maintaining and driving the firm’s high standards and performance. Also head of dispute resolution, with over 20 years’ experience specialising in commercial dispute resolution and professional negligence claims.
Areas of expertise include commercial litigation, including business and share sale disputes; breach of warranty claims; director and shareholder disputes; partnership disputes; insurance disputes; contract claims; civil fraud; charity litigation and trustee disputes.
Cathryn also specialises in professional negligence, including financial services litigation; investment mis-selling; pension disputes, including SIPP litigation and DB transfers; business and personal tax advice; pension disputes; mishandled litigation; commercial property transactions; ground rent claims; professional indemnity disputes.
Cathryn regularly delivers seminars to clients and intermediaries and is consultant editor for the professional negligence division of Simons Taxes.
Trained Halliwell Landau; qualified 1995; partner Nelsons 2012. Solicitor/trainee solicitor at Halliwell Landau, Manchester, 1993-96; solicitor at James Chapman & Co, Manchester 1996-97; partner and head of professional negligence at Pannone & Partners, Manchester 1997-2004; associate and head of commercial litigation Sheffield and national head of professional negligence at Irwin Mitchell, Sheffield 2004-11; partner and head of commercial litigation at Shakespeares, Nottingham 2011-12. Publications of note: consultant editor of the Professional Negligence section of Simons Taxes.
Member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association; member of Derbby University’s University Court.
Mortimer Wilson; University of Manchester (1992 LLB Degree in Law); Chester College of Law (1993 Law Society Final Examinations).
Travel, reading, walking, food, cinema.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited acts for claimants litigating against professionals from all types of sectors, including financial and legal services, and has recently increased its offering for individuals litigating against conveyancing solicitors. In addition, the team acts for professionals in defending claims where there is no insurance cover or cover has been reserved. Practice head Daniel Brumpton has ‘a great deal of experience‘ in claims against barristers, surveyors, architects and financial advisors and Cathryn Selby deals with professional indemnity disputes, professional fee disputes, complaints and regulatory matters, among others.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited, which primarily represents companies based in the East Midlands, is active across a range of contentious mandates including shareholder and partnership disputes, unpaid invoice claims and business interruption insurance policies as they relate to the Covid-19 pandemic. Practice co-heads Jon Roberts and Cathryn Selby operate from Nottingham and Derby respectively; the former frequently acts in disputes related to the construction industry, while the latter handles contractual, insurance and civil fraud issues. Chris Adams retired in June 2020.
- Commercial litigation: Nottingham and Derby - East Midlands > Dispute resolution
- Professional negligence - East Midlands > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Nottingham and Derby
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the East Midlands
- Real estate > Commercial property: Nottingham and Derby
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Elsewhere in East Midlands
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Nottingham and Derby
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate