Cathryn Selby > Nelsons Solicitors Limited > Derby, England > Lawyer Profile
Nelsons Solicitors Limited Offices
- Go to...
Partner and Director of Risk and Performance Management. Responsible for maintaining and driving the firm’s high standards and performance. Also head of dispute resolution, with over 20 years’ experience specialising in commercial dispute resolution and professional negligence claims.
Areas of expertise include commercial litigation, including business and share sale disputes; breach of warranty claims; director and shareholder disputes; partnership disputes; insurance disputes; contract claims; civil fraud; charity litigation and trustee disputes.
Cathryn also specialises in professional negligence, including financial services litigation; investment mis-selling; pension disputes, including SIPP litigation and DB transfers; business and personal tax advice; pension disputes; mishandled litigation; commercial property transactions; ground rent claims; professional indemnity disputes.
Cathryn regularly delivers seminars to clients and intermediaries and is consultant editor for the professional negligence division of Simons Taxes.
Trained Halliwell Landau; qualified 1995; partner Nelsons 2012. Solicitor/trainee solicitor at Halliwell Landau, Manchester, 1993-96; solicitor at James Chapman & Co, Manchester 1996-97; partner and head of professional negligence at Pannone & Partners, Manchester 1997-2004; associate and head of commercial litigation Sheffield and national head of professional negligence at Irwin Mitchell, Sheffield 2004-11; partner and head of commercial litigation at Shakespeares, Nottingham 2011-12. Publications of note: consultant editor of the Professional Negligence section of Simons Taxes.
Member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association; member of Derbby University’s University Court.
Mortimer Wilson; University of Manchester (1992 LLB Degree in Law); Chester College of Law (1993 Law Society Final Examinations).
Travel, reading, walking, food, cinema.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited acts for a wide range of clients on high value claims involving high-net-worth individuals, sports professionals, individuals and commercial and property businesses. The firm also assists professionals with defending claims where there is no insurance cover. Practice head Daniel Brumpton has vast experience of professional negligence-related litigation. Cathryn Selby specialises in high value, complex claims. Clients describe the team as ‘approachable‘ and ‘proactive‘.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited often represents SMEs and larger UK companies in commercial disputes relating to construction projects, shareholders agreements and malfeasance. Cathryn Selby has a wealth of experience in cases regarding commercial contracts, civil fraud, insurance and unfair prejudice. Chris Adams expertise resides in breach of contract claims, professional negligence and partnership disputes. Jon Roberts has a strong track record in fraud cases.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited‘s team, which is based in Nottingham and Derby, has particular expertise in commercial and residential landlord and tenant disputes, planning law cases and breach of contract disputes. Simon Waterfield has vast experience of landlord and tenant disputes, including those concerning forfeiture, dilapidations and contested rent review applications. He also has niche expertise in flooding disputes. ‘Friendly and professional’ associate Oliver Maxwell is particularly active in commercial landlord and tenant matters, easement disputes and claims involving the interpretation and enforcement of overage agreements. Cathryn Selby is another key individual.
- Commercial litigation: Nottingham and Derby - East Midlands > Dispute resolution
- Professional negligence - East Midlands > Insurance
- Property litigation - East Midlands > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Nottingham and Derby
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the East Midlands
- Real estate > Commercial property: Nottingham and Derby
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Elsewhere in East Midlands
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Nottingham and Derby
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Private finance initiative (PFI)
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Public sector > Public sector