Richard Gerstein > Mishcon de Reya LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Mishcon de Reya LLP Offices
- Go to...
Real Estate, Construction (Contentious) and Professional Negligence.
Richard is a Partner in the Real Estate department and heads the Construction and Professional Negligence group.
He acts for a variety of clients ranging from major developers, property investors, banks and occupiers through to contractors, sub-contractors and consultants on all aspects of dispute resolution arising out of construction contracts.
These claims invariably involve extensions of time, loss and expense, entitlement to payment, defects and enforceability of bonds. Richard has a wealth of experience in claims and disputes in the Technology and Construction Courts, having acted on some of the leading cases over the past 25 years, as well as in arbitration and adjudication proceedings.
Richard has spent many years advising banks, businesses and individuals on claims against surveyors, solicitors, accountants, construction professionals and financial advisers. His expertise covers negligent valuations, advice on commercial and real estate transactions, tax advice, investment advice, and design specification, and administration of construction projects. In addition, Richard advises on commercial disputes for clients in the real estate sector.
Admitted 1982; partner Finers Stephens Innocent 1987; partner Goodman Derrick 2002; partner Matthew Arnold & Baldwin 2005; partner Mishcon de Reya 2009 to date.
Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators; Member Professional Negligence Lawyers’ Association; Society of Construction Law and Constructing Excellence.
University of Durham.
Golf, football, cricket.
Mishcon de Reya LLP advises on an array of contentious matters, including procurement disputes, defect claims relating to fire-safety and cladding issues, and build-to-rent scheme projects. It is also well-regarded in relation to acting for private clients. Richard Gerstein leads the team, with expertise in construction safety matters and in professional negligence claims.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Art and cultural property
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Employment > Employers
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Gaming and betting
- Transport > Travel
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Employment > Health and safety
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Residential property
- Employment > Senior executives
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- Public sector > Education: individuals
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Insurance > Insurance litigation: for policyholders
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Private prosecutions
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Employment > Employee share schemes
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Franchising
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > PATMA: Trade mark attorneys
- Real estate > Planning
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Dispute resolution > Tax litigation and investigations
- Industry focus > TMT
- Public sector > Civil liberties and human rights
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m
- Real estate > Property finance
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit