Gary Attle > Mills & Reeve LLP > Cambridge, England > Lawyer Profile
Mills & Reeve LLP Offices
100 HILLS ROAD
- Go to...
Regulatory, public law and commercial disputes group.
Head of education and governance. Gary leads the firm’s national practice in the higher education sector, which advises on all areas where universities need legal advice, ranging from spin outs to student accommodation developments to international joint ventures. His own specialist area relates to governance and student issues. Gary’s recent work involves advising universities on allegations of research misconduct, the student-university legal relationship, the regulatory framework for higher education, defamation and freedom of speech. Many of his matters have an international element to them.
Trained Mills & Reeve; developed specialist practice in the law relating to higher education, advising on several test cases and policy matters; partner 1999. Director, Higher Education Academy. Publications: Education Case Reports; consultant editor to Farrington and Palfreyman’s ‘Law of Higher Education’ (2006).
Education Law Association.
Westbourne High School, Ipswich; Lincoln College, Oxford University (1989 Jurisprudence First Class; finals prize for contract law). Harvard Business School (leading professional firms program).
Cycling, tennis, family, reading, the arts and sciences.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame) (Hall of Fame) (Hall of Fame)
Mills & Reeve LLP has a multi-disciplinary education team which holds panel roles for various universities and university organisations. The practice is led by Gary Attle , who focuses on HE legislation, governance and freedom of information issues; Martin Priestley handles the commercial side of education work. Jonathan Greenwood works across the education sector to on corporate matters from M&A and restructurings to governance and joint venture. Principal associate Poppy Short advises universities and further education colleges on partnerships, collaborations and academic arrangements.
The data protection team at Mills & Reeve LLP is active across a wide range of sectors, most notably tech, education, healthcare and charity, and is rated for being ‘responsive and extremely knowledgeable in the area of data protection and privacy’. The practice is jointly led by GDPR specialist Jagvinder Singh Kang, Gary Attle, who is a key contact for freedom of information matters and litigation, and Peter Wainman, whose expertise spans compliance audits, data sharing contracts and data breaches.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Norwich
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Employment > Health and safety
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector
- Employment > Health and safety